Questions on a short barrel build for a suppressor

Hard to beet the 300 wsm suppressed for a do it all, especially if elk+ is on the table.

When I go shorter barrel I like to step up a bore size to get the same speed out of the similar weight projectile

Sled

WKR
Basically agree with all this. My first 2 suppressors were impulse buys and now I have 6. I will never shoot unsuppressed again.

i have to laugh at this because an impulse buy that you can't touch for a year is pretty contradictory. that said, i know what you mean. that's how i got my ultra 7.:cool:

fatbacks

WKR
As a person about to start buying suppressors for hunting (sorry for interjecting in your thread OP) do you guys that already have them see any velocity increase with the can? It seems like they add a little bit but not a lot.

As a side note- I’ve been cutting my barrels down to 20” for a while now so I’m excited to get a can and see how my 270wsm performs with it.

Negligible increase on most of my rifles…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR
I think 300 wsm is the alpha short barrel elk capable gun, 7 saum packs a punch too.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I agree with the method but I dont know where to get good data on these cartridges with 20" barrels. I was hoping people that have done builds with these would have some input on the numbers.
I shot the factory Norma 180 grain Bondstrike 300WSM ammo in my 20” barrel. Got just a hair over 2,900 fps. I’m not sure that bullet has the G1 bc of .625 they advertise, though. Haven’t tested it at long range to confirm drop yet.

bhylton

WKR
is a 5in suppressor a waste of time on a 300wsm? Ive only ever had 22in barreled rifles and cutting to 20in with a 7in can still seems way too long.

is a 5in suppressor a waste of time on a 300wsm? Ive only ever had 22in barreled rifles and cutting to 20in with a 7in can still seems way too long.
I would just encourage you to look at the testing done for the specific can you're looking to get. I was set on a 5" but the decibel reduction was much less than the 7" & just seemed like it wasn't worth it so I went with the 7"

JoeDirt

WKR
I think the 5" would be good for a 308, or 6.5 Creed but not a magnum. Thats why I went with a 7" also.

CoStick

WKR
A 5" suppressor is like a 1" knife, better than nothing but definitely not the best choice 95% of the time.
I spoke to TBAC, said I was looking to suppress my .270 win for hunting without ear pro. Said that was exactly what the ultra 5 was made for. Not an all day range tool, but made with the hunter in mind. I will have an extremely light mountain rifle with the ability to shoot without ear protection. Seems to be pretty useful for hunters.

I spoke to TBAC, said I was looking to suppress my .270 win for hunting without ear pro. Said that was exactly what the ultra 5 was made for. Not an all day range tool, but made with the hunter in mind. I will have an extremely light mountain rifle with the ability to shoot without ear protection. Seems to be pretty useful for hunters.
I've been next to an Ultra 5 being fired, like I said it's better than nothing. Of course TBAC says it's great for hunting, they're trying to sell you a can. I love my TBAC cans but the 5 is to much of a niche product that isn't versatile enough for me to spend my money and wait 13 months to get.

CoStick

WKR
I've been next to an Ultra 5 being fired, like I said it's better than nothing. Of course TBAC says it's great for hunting, they're trying to sell you a can. I love my TBAC cans but the 5 is to much of a niche product that isn't versatile enough for me to spend my money and wait 13 months to get.
What gen Ultra 5? Also I am buying one of theirs, so they recommend the cheapest of the models I asked about. :)

I've got the whole Ultra lineup and the Ultra-5 will do just fine for his intended purpose. Do not expect it to be comfortable but it will not do permanent damage to your ears. My Ultra-5 is gen 1 and it's still fine for hunting. I notice the biggest difference to be between the Ultra-7 and Ultra-9 for my ears.

Lawnboi

WKR
Last two were under 5 months. Shouldn’t say anything but I’m hoping my luck hasn’t run out, just got a 22 takedown into jail.

I’d start getting components soon. Action, stock and barrel makers are out 6months to a year. Gunsmiths are swamped as well.

Sled

WKR

That's up to you. For me, I have one on a 17" 6.5cm and don't find the need to use it much. My other suppressors are 7" and sub 9". What I determined is a couple inches and a few ounces extra are well with it.

I was concerned about the extra length too but soon got over it after the first hunt.