Questions on dies

Welcome to my new series "how the heck do I do this reloading thing" where I will be asking questions, some probably stupid ones, and you can help me.

What dies do I need?

So, I do not think I need to worry about FL sizing. From what I am reading, since I am only reloading for 1 rifle, I probably don't need to worry about it. However, do I need to worry about bumping back the shoulder? If so, how often? Is it something that should be done every time or can I just neck size? What is the best way to bump the shoulder, other than FL sizing?

Neck sizing. Do I need something like the 280 Ackley Improved 40° Type S Match Bushing Neck Die Set that uses a bushing or can I just use the Hunter Carbide Deluxe Die Set that appears to be just set at one size? I think I do want a micro-adjust die.

I looked into the Forster Bushing Bump Die on the recommendation of Muley Buck but they dont have 280ai available.

Dcrafton

WKR
For what you are doing. You will only need this. From mid south shooters
8d6e8ba5755fe7303b04687b4d652640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends do you just want ammo that goes bang?
Or are you wanting precision ammo?
I would suggest the Redding type s Full length 2 die set.
Selecting the correct bushing size allows for more consistent neck tension.
And the spring load die supports the body.

I think on a hunting rifle you should full length size/ bump back the shoulder that way it will ensure feeding in the field when you may have some grime in there.

Get on YouTube and check out longe range only and pandhandle precision.
Broz and Sam are both very knowledgeable and helpful.

There were some 280ai dies for sale in the classifieds just the other day. Those would probably be great to get you started.

It really is too bad Forster doesn't or cant offer their dies in 280ai. I figured they could cut you a custom set, but I guess not. I really do think they are the best when it comes to affordable precision dies.

You will need to FL resize at some point. Get a FL resizing die set and bump the shoulder .001-.002. FL resizing that way will give you plenty of case life and, if you do the rest right, give you very accurate, reliable, safe rounds.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Agree, get a three die set. You will need to bump shoulder eventually. And, approach from beginning on getting precision results, it isn't that hard. Also, get a micrometer and set up to measure olive to lands. Track everything in small notebook. Reloading will not cure rifle issues but it can maximize available potential. Haven't bought ammo in 40 years except .22.

I like to FL size everything using a Redding type S FL bushing die. I can adjust neck tension with the bushing and I setup the die so the resized brass chambers without tension. Broz has a good video on this as does wheeler precision. It takes a lot more sizing than you think to get there. I remove the firing pit and ejector plunger when doing this. Sizing this way has improved accuracy in every rifle when that was the only change. The Redding competition she’ll holder set while a little pricey makes this very easy to do.

OP
MuleyFever
It really is too bad Forster doesn't or cant offer their dies in 280ai. I figured they could cut you a custom set, but I guess not. I really do think they are the best when it comes to affordable precision dies.

They said they don’t have time for any custom requests but may in the future

OP
MuleyFever
Agree, get a three die set. You will need to bump shoulder eventually. And, approach from beginning on getting precision results, it isn't that hard. Also, get a micrometer and set up to measure olive to lands. Track everything in small notebook. Reloading will not cure rifle issues but it can maximize available potential. Haven't bought ammo in 40 years except .22.

Why get the 3 die set if I’m going to FL resize. Doesn’t the FL die size the neck? Seems I can just get the FL die and the seating die.

Vandy321

WKR
I was given this advice and it has delivered single digit ES/SD for me....a pretty novice reloader.

get a redding comp 3 die set. (Body/neck/seating)

Body die to bump shoulders back 1-2 thou

Neck Bushing die to compress neck back down about 4 thou under bullet diameter.

Then, expander mandrel at 2 thou or so under bullet diameter, or whatever final neck you want to set.

And micrometer comp seating die (with the appropriate stem if using VLD/berger hybrids/ELD-M, etc)

OP
MuleyFever
So why body size then neck size if a FL die with a bushing to set the neck will do it all in one step? What an I missing?

Vandy321

WKR
So why body size then neck size if a FL die with a bushing to set the neck will do it all in one step? What an I missing?

I had this same question. Some folks dont bump the shoulders ever firing. Some will wait until the case will no longer chamber, gives you the flexibility to only size the neck if you want without touching the body or bumping the shoulder back.

I was given this advice and it has delivered single digit ES/SD for me....a pretty novice reloader.

get a redding comp 3 die set. (Body/neck/seating)

Body die to bump shoulders back 1-2 thou

Neck Bushing die to compress neck back down about 4 thou under bullet diameter.

Then, expander mandrel at 2 thou or so under bullet diameter, or whatever final neck you want to set.

And micrometer comp seating die (with the appropriate stem if using VLD/berger hybrids/ELD-M, etc)
Ultimately this is probably the best way as I see. It addresses the accuracy of the ammo, proper fitment in the chamber and longer case life. Win, Win, Win!

I had this same question. Some folks dont bump the shoulders ever firing. Some will wait until the case will no longer chamber, gives you the flexibility to only size the neck if you want without touching the body or bumping the shoulder back.
I did this. It took 6 firings of Norma brass in my 7mm Rem Mag to start to feel a rough bolt close. Bumped it back .001-.002 and all is well. I get max case capacity and less sizing / wear and tear in the brass.

OP
MuleyFever
How can I get the proper bushing size? Can I measure factory rounds with the same bullet and brass to get the diameter then go 2 thousandths below that for my target neck size?

I am using Nosler brass with 160 Accubonds. I also have some factory rounds so I’m essentially making the same round.