Questions on Kuiu Axis Hybrid Jacket?

PorkrollEgg&Cheese

Lil-Rokslider
Looking into the kuiu axis hybrid jacket. Want a bit more versatility out of my gear.

How warm would this be for whitetail hunting? My plan would be to run it over a first lite furnace and under my sitka fanatic vest? Would this cover me down into the 20-30 range for static hunting? Right now im running an equinox hoody or celsius jacket as my midlayer. How would the kuiu axis compare warmth wise? Been a little dissapointed in the wind blocking capabilities of the equinox and would like something a little more versatile than the old celsius jacket.

Last edited:

napid79

FNG
I have the Axis and wouldn’t wear it deer hunting at those temps. It’s a pretty thin soft shell. It breaks the wind alright, but there isn’t much for insulation if you’re static. But if you’re a warm body, it might work with a furnace and fanatic under it, but personally, no.

bayangler

FNG
I have the Axis as well but don't generally hunt in temperatures that low. The one time I did with it, I wasn't sitting long so take this for what it's worth but I would think it would depend a lot on how warm your insulation layers are. The fit of the Axis would be the limiting factor for me as it's a little tight through the shoulders and that would determine what you could layer underneath. It does block the wind.

No experience with Sitka but the Axis is not going to do what you want. It'll block the wind well and shed light moisture; just like most soft-shells.

You should get a better piece of insulation such as a down jacket. Then throw a protective layer over it. May not be the best option from a noise perspective but it should keep you warm well below your stated temperatures.

Also look at sitting on an insulated "seat". A couple sections from a Z-Lite pad works wonders.

Is there a reason you are wanting the axis for this application? I thought about the axis jacket for this but found the pants to be noisy for treestand hunting (my mainstay) and the stratus line from
Sitka does a much better job with the noise and as good a job with wind and weather. However for the temps you are wanting to hunt in, the sitka fanatic is a much better piece.
Just curious why the axis vs other stuff…you already have the fanatic vest. Why not stick with the whitetail system from sitka?

TXCO

WKR
The axis is good for bowhuntinf in mild weather. If you pair it under the fanatic vest I think you would be comfortable. I love how quiet the axis is for active hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Axis is a great jacket for fall application with a layer underneath it, and a great windbreaker but not for these cold temps. You need a down jacket for better insulation. Check the Kuiu website they have a lot of winter clothing options for your temperature needs. Layers are the keys if you are moving! Kuiu is a great high quality brand with a lot of solutions and at a great price.

Roor

FNG
I agree… I had my Kuiu axis on top of the SG Grumman jacket and was fine in the 20s. The axis by itself would not be enough unless you run really hot imo.