Questions on NRR rating in ear protection

I have over the ear ear muffs for ear protection, and recently started browsing the in-the-ear electronic options. They all list an "NRR" number relating to the ear protection. Numbers like, 18, 22, 24, some as high as 29 or 30. What exactly do these numbers mean. In the case of a rifle blast, which is probably well over 100 decibles, does the NRR mean it reduces the decible level to 28 or whatever the NRR is, or does it mean it reduces the decible level from the 100 by 28 which now means you will experience a level of 72 ??
One of the in-the-ear models I have been looking at is the Otto Micro Noizebarrier, which I read about here on this site. I called their CS dept, and asked the lady about the reduction, and she really couldn't answer the question. She did say that the Otto Micro comes with memory foam earpieces and the silicone (I think she said) earpieces and the foam provide the best NRR.
Can anyone explain what the numbers really refer to? Does the NRR number refer to the amount of noise you will experience, or does the NRR rating reduce the noise by that number?

LaHunter

WKR
It is my understanding that the NRR is the value that the dB is reduced. So a NRR of 28 will reduce a 100 dB sound by 28 dB to 72 dB.

def90

WKR
Thanks for that link westonadkins. It covers really well the concept of doubling up on hearing protection (I try to use plugs and muffs when shooting my rifles).

Don’t forget about ear pro when doing everyday things as well. For me my dad used to take me shooting as a kid, I don’t remember ever using ear muffs or ear plugs, this was back in the 70’s. Then while in high school and afterwards I worked on a lawn mowing crew walking behind big commercial mowers and using backpack blowers all day, once again no ear pro. Then I played guitar in bands for a short while during the hair band era, the guitar sounded better and better the louder you turned it up. Then I worked construction up to present day on job sites with compressors running all day and nail guns going off everywhere, hammer drills and so on. On top of the old walkman days listening to music on headphones and who knows how many hundreds of concerts I went to. One day I was playing guitar through headphones, another thing that came along with the new solid state modern guitar amps and when I was done my ears were ringing a bit knid of like your ears feel after going to a loud concert, the next day they were still ringing and now about 12 years later they still ring 24 hours a day. Tinnitus sucks.. With the covid mask mandates I didn’t realize how much I rely on reading lips when people talk in order to hear or understand what they are saying.