Questions that came up will planning trip. More Added

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
Float Trip for Moose out of McGrath this fall.

What Gloves work best for Rowing?
Hotel recommendations for Anchorage?
Anything we need to see/visit will in Anchorage?
A place to rent a cot or cookstove etc. To save on transporting.
Should be Wolves in the area we float. Is it worth it to bring an electronic call to hunt them if we tag out?

Citric acid to spray on meat before putting in game bags? Worth it?

Tag Bags or Cotton Game bags? Transporter just sent a Email out saying synthetic Tag Bags were some of the worst he's seen and recommended cotton bags. I already bought the Tag Bags. Opinions.

Last edited:

Werty

WKR
Check the rv places, they used to rent stuff like that.
Search this site for Anchorage stuff to do, was a write up not long ago

Tripp238

Lil-Rokslider
For gloves my buddy used his atlas rubber gloves and his hand stayed dry the entire trip. I tried Gore-Tex but eventually they soaked through.

What type of raft are you using? For any gear rafting I would go to Alaska mountaineering hiking (AMH) in Anchorage.
Another cool place is Barney’s sports chalet for hunting gear.

Places to go, I would maybe take a drive to beluga point not far from anchorage at high tide for whales.

I tend to use Airbnb‘s at roughly the same price as hotels. With a better experience.

I just did an alpacka raft bear hunt and definitely wished I had a fox pro, wolf prints everywhere.

If you need anything DM me or text at 907-297-9594. I live in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For paddling I generally just tape my fingers, if it’s going to be cold, I use glacier gloves which are a neoprene glove, you’ll stay warm and the grip is good with them. I’ve used mechanix gloves before too and they are ok but they get wet.

I’ve never even considered bringing an electronic call on a float hunt.

mooster

WKR
I use a work glove that I can use for camp chores, and pull over an ultra lite and packable waterproof shell mittens from REI when I don’t want to risk wet hands on the cold days.

Caribou gear & Tag game bags are awesome. I wouldn’t risk my meat to non-durable, cotton or cheap bags.

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
Whatever glove is used just make sure they are big enough to comfortably put your taped up fingers in them, the river will suck the life out of your fingers and they will be taped up!

Cloth sports tape is the ticket when it comes to taping fingers up.

rayporter

WKR
neoprene gloves for sure and tape up early. i carry plain masking tape for fingers but have used duct tape.

if you know you have a certain finger that always gets cracked tape before you start. plain lanolin is about the best i have found to soften them cracks.

i use tag bags or caribou bags now but i have used ordinary burlap bags twice and had no trouble with meat at all. on a float you have room for what ever bag you wish. if you have cotton bags take them. if you have to buy bags consider if you will use them again and if wt will ever be a factor.

once you fill them they will weigh a lot.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I prefer wool mittens with the finger flap that covers fingerless portion. I keep two pair of these handy. I also have Mechanix gloves for rowing on warmer dryer days.

Not many places rent stoves and cots and tents that I know of because gear takes a whoopin by renters (non-owners).

Game bags...I use the worst your taxi operator has ever seen and have for 17 years.

Take sun glasses for the river glare.

Boil water when your feet get cold and poor a cup into your wading boots. On freezing days this boost lasts for a couple hours and keeps your toes from feeling like frozen carrots!

Layers: wool layers under whatever else you ride with.

for other float specific lessons: