Questions to ask regional biologists for up coming ID Mule Deer Hunt

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Guys. My cousin & I are going to head to ID this coming fall for a rifle deer hunt. We've been heading to Montana the last few years, but decided to give Idaho a try for a change of pace. This will be a new area for both of us. I want to reach out to a biologist for the area we are planning to hunt, and ask some questions. I'm just curious what questions some of you typically ask? I'm escouting now, and plan to have an understanding of some of the areas we are interested in hunting before I call. I want to have a game plan in place, as I know the biologist's time is precious, and my intent is not to call & ask "where should we go to find deer"? The questions I've thought up so far are:

-food sources or browse?
-What elevations are the deer typically found at in mid Oct.?
-What was this past winter like?
-I've found a few burns escouting, are these (specific burns) good areas to look in?
-Hunting pressure-what can be expected?
-water sources
-what is access like for these areas we are interested in?

Are there some questions I've missed, that should be asked? We are hoping to put together a scouting trip this summer before the hunt, as boots on the ground is always the best way to learn. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Guys. My cousin & I are going to head to ID this coming fall for a rifle deer hunt. We've been heading to Montana the last few years, but decided to give Idaho a try for a change of pace. This will be a new area for both of us. I want to reach out to a biologist for the area we are planning to hunt, and ask some questions. I'm just curious what questions some of you typically ask? I'm escouting now, and plan to have an understanding of some of the areas we are interested in hunting before I call. I want to have a game plan in place, as I know the biologist's time is precious, and my intent is not to call & ask "where should we go to find deer"? The questions I've thought up so far are:

-food sources or browse?
-I've found a few burns escouting, are these (specific burns) good areas to look in?
-water sources

Are there some questions I've missed, that should be asked? We are hoping to put together a scouting trip this summer before the hunt, as boots on the ground is always the best way to learn. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
I think you've got a great list of questions there. Always depends on what biologist you get on the phone but if they give up specific area info I always take that with a grain of salt because they could be telling every other caller the same things.
Where you're not asking about specific areas to hunt I think the info they give should be pretty good.

-food sources or browse?
-water sources

Not trying to be rude at all. Bios are great contacts and I’d try to have the best conversation possible. These questions seem elementary which may not work to your advantage. I’d try to refine and see if you can craft questions that demonstrate your commitment to learning mule deer and experience. I think these questions would be fine and a decent conversation could flow from them. A great conversation where it breaks out of the norm and monotony for the bios is really helpful and worth working towards.

As an example, you should be able to figure out what last year’s winter was like from IDFG press release data, snotel, postings here. Your question would probably want to be more like, I understand statement the number was x and this area fared slightly better than the average, is that your sense...

Feel free to PM. Idaho bios that I’ve come to know are mostly pretty great human beings and professionals.

Last edited:
One thing I do prior to speaking with a biologist is write down all my questions and have the paper maps at hand and someting to write on.
I then carry it all with me while out and about as it seems their return calls come at the most inopportune times.

OP
hoyt-guy

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff guys. Idahohikker no offense at all. My questions do seem pretty generic, and you make a good point. I'm definitely going to put more thought into my questions before I call. I also think much more research needs to be done on my part before I call as well. My past experience with Montana bio's is they were very hard to get on the phone. Certainly want to make the most of a call like this, should they pick up, or return the call.

Idahohikker I also want to say I've seen your willingness to help us new ID hunters in other threads. This is very much appreciated!!

Good stuff. I have some of the same questions b4 reaching out to biologists in NM.

U may have already seen it but heres a possibly helpful article

Some good questions in the article and some bad ones, especially “where would you hunt in the unit and are there any recent burns.” Can’t believe they put that on there and it makes me question the rest.