Quick Question on Customer Service (Cabelas)

Mule34

FNG
I have a quick question for you folks. I am planning on leaving for Idaho in 8 days for my Rifle Elk, deer and bear hunting trip and I am in a bit of a pickle. I wanted to run a 300 wm, my father in law had a brand new one he was going to lend me, it had a junk 50 dollar scope on it. Anyway I decided I wanted to purchase a 300 someday anyway. So I went ahead and bought a Vortex scope. I was at Cabelas and had them throw it on the in laws 300.

Fast forward a few days, I decide while I am at Scheels for ammo that the day I need a new 300 is today...haha. I purchase my 300 and I get home, I go to throw the scope onto my new rifle. I take it off at the base of the rings and go to mount it on the new rifle and it isnt lined up quite perfectly so I need to loosen the rings and adjust them to fit properly on the rail. I notice the front ring is barely tightened on there. I go to loosen the back ring and it is so tight it broke the bit I was using. I tried another one of the screws and break another bit.

Question is, should I mount it back on the original rifle to take it back to cabelas or is this something I am just screwed because I didnt notice it. My main concern is trying to get the back ring off and making sure they didnt bend the tube. I dont really want to work on it myself and cause more of a problem and have it be on me. I know vortex has an unlimited warranty but I wont have the scope for my hunt in 8 days. I am not a crazy gun nut, I know a few things, but dont have knowledge or the tools to work on firearms. So please dont blast me too hard. Thanks for any advice.

Sled

WKR
They might take care of you but since you're on short notice you could take it to a gunsmith and have them take it off quickly. Always best to do that before you strip the screws but they're also someone who could contact Cabela's customer service for you. If you have the extra funds, buy a scope and properly mount it on your new rifle. You could deal with your old scope at a later date or give it to your uncle as a thank you.

Sled

WKR
If you were at my house I would put the bit in the screw and heat the bit up with a small torch or iron or heat gun. After it gets hot enough to loosen the loctite I would slip on a driver and loosen the screws. If the tube is creased you could ask Cabela's to take care of it or contact vortex. If not mount it to your new gun and sight it in.

OP
Mule34

Mule34

FNG
They might take care of you but since you're on short notice you could take it to a gunsmith and have them take it off quickly. Always best to do that before you strip the screws but they're also someone who could contact Cabela's customer service for you. If you have the extra funds, buy a scope and properly mount it on your new rifle. You could deal with your old scope at a later date or give it to your uncle as a thank you.
I just figured if the scope tube is bent I would have cabelas take it off so possibly they would replace it right there. I wish I had a gunsmith close to me, there isnt one for 70ish miles. I may need to make a special trip tho.

OP
Mule34

Mule34

FNG
If you were at my house I would put the bit in the screw and heat the bit up with a small torch or iron or heat gun. After it gets hot enough to loosen the loctite I would slip on a driver and loosen the screws. If the tube is creased you could ask Cabela's to take care of it or contact vortex. If not mount it to your new gun and sight it in.

I was able to mount it on the new rifle and it is just a little off center, and I cant rotate the scope because it is so tight. I will probably try to do something with it tonight and see where it gets me, I just didnt want to take the ring off and the tube is bent and I wouldnt be able to have cabelas replace it then. I would have to use the vortex warranty.

Wapiti1

WKR
I would be more suspect of a cross threaded screw than an over torqued one. It's hard to crank a small screw that much without twisting it off on the way in. I'd bet it is cross threaded and seized.

I would take it back to Cabelas, hand them the scope with rings on it and ask for a new scope and ring set. Then go home and mount it myself. Bent tube or not, you can't level the reticle and that isn't your fault.

They can figure out how to get the rear ring loose. You returned what you bought and its pretty easy for them to see the issue.

Jeremy

OP
Mule34

Mule34

FNG
I would be more suspect of a cross threaded screw than an over torqued one. It's hard to crank a small screw that much without twisting it off on the way in. I'd bet it is cross threaded and seized.

I would take it back to Cabelas, hand them the scope with rings on it and ask for a new scope and ring set. Then go home and mount it myself. Bent tube or not, you can't level the reticle and that isn't your fault.

They can figure out how to get the rear ring loose. You returned what you bought and its pretty easy for them to see the issue.

Jeremy

Solid advice... thanks man

Jakerex

WKR

Jeremy

This is good advice.
And in the future, don’t let anyone at cabelas, bass pro, dicks, or any other sporting goods store mount your scopes. Obviously unless it’s the local gun smith or gun shop with a hood reputation.

Mounting scopes isn’t a tough task. Doing it yourself with a little patience, precision, and lock tite goes a long way, with your piece of mind..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mule34

Mule34

FNG
This is good advice.
And in the future, don’t let anyone at cabelas, bass pro, dicks, or any other sporting goods store mount your scopes. Obviously unless it’s the local gun smith or gun shop with a hood reputation.

Mounting scopes isn’t a tough task. Doing it yourself with a little patience, precision, and lock tite goes a long way, with your piece of mind..

I will be be doing that from now on. I just need to purchase a few bubbles, do you have to loctite on the ring screws? vortex says not to apply loctite.

Jakerex

WKR
Locktite the bases. I have been known to put a dab on the ring screws, but I know it’s not recommended.

I’ve started using Talley one piece ring / bases and like them a lot.

Only use blue locktite

The levels would be good, or you can use your eyeball. I’ve mounted a lot of scopes and never used the levels, but levels would get you more straight than some of my crooked scopes!. I have started lapping the rings in the recent years, but the majority of the time that’s not necessary either.

Make sure your screwdriver or whatever head it is, fits properly.

OP
Mule34

Mule34

FNG
I have a wheeler fat wrench set up, just need a couple levels to get them straight, so lock tite the bases is a good start. I just want to make sure I get everything set up properly and get enough rounds down range to feel comfortable. I shoot a lot, but usually not past 350 yards. So this is the first rifle I have that I will actually try and push that out to 600ish or maybe more if i am slinging them decent. I have 4 days off to shoot a couple boxes of ammo and then off to Idaho.

OP
Mule34

Mule34

FNG
FYI, Cabelas really took care if me and outfitted me with new replacements. Thanks everyone.

Sled

WKR
clean the screws before you install them. loktite is not needed but some prefer. if you choose to use it, still clean the oils off the threads first and use the wet torque value instead of dry.