Quick Question

dotman

WKR
I can get a REM 700 CDL in 7mm for $650, would I be better off getting a savage? This is a bone stock hardly shot Rem but I can get a good out of the box savage weather warrior for $600 from Cabelas. Yes Dave I have moved away from the light weight hunter :)

So is it true I'll have to put some money into the REM to get it to shoot well? I don't plan to do a thing to it but my plans never seem to stay the same and I see tons of aftermarket options for the Rem.

Mckinnon

WKR
If it were me I would get the Savage, those things flat out shoot and the weather warrior with the stainless seems to be a sweet setup.

You'll likely get a better out of the box shooter in the Savage as it seems that Remington's tolerances have suffered in recent years. If you know the owner of the Remington, ask to see some test targets. If it shoots good, I would go with the Remington. Without KNOWING how either would shoot, and if I had to bet money, I'd say the Savage would likely be more accurate.

Mike

Shrek

WKR
Dotman , I have a cdl sf in 7mm-08 that broke me of ever wanting to buy another remington. The quality control is gone at remington since cerbus bought them. If it was an older 700 from the '70 id say jump all over it. The savages just shoot good these days and for my money a great deal. I will say the savages are just not sexy , good looking rifles like the remington is. If I am going for a no drama , just shoots good right out of the box rifle then I am all about the savage but if I want a project the the remington has a lot of work to offer. If Bell and Carlson would make a ti style stock for the savages I would be all savage all the time. That said , my current project is a push feed m70 winchester In 7mm wsm I picked up for $250.

The last Remington had and has a bunch of problems. First off the finish bubbled and peeled within a month , the scope mount holes are not strait , the action face is not square so barrel goes down and to the right enough to see , the bolt handle did not have a good solder and came off after I gently tapped it with a 8oz mallot when I blew a primer and it got jammed. If I put a real tight patch down the barrel you can feel where the barrel is tight in some places and looser in others. All in all the remington is a good looking piece of sh*t ! After bedding in a new stock and a new trigger , lots of load work all I have is a 1moa rifle that is crooked. I could of had a savage that would have shot better right out of the box and saved me $900 off the price of the remington and all the parts.

Oh , and the remington bolt lugs had about 20%contact on each side . After lapping the bejesus out of them I have about 85% mating but I wouldn't even think of trying factory ammo anymore. I neck size only anymore so if the headspace is long it doesn't matter. I fire form anything I shoot in it then load for real.

If I wasn't trying to equip for backpack hunting I would have already torn it apart and had it trued and a new barrel put on.

Last edited:

TwoTikkas

WKR
Weather Warrior. Of all the current Savage models, the Weather Warrior is the one that has tempted me the most. Of the 2 rifles you have in mind I think the Savage would be the best scope it and go option.

Shrek

WKR
And to add insult to injury the rifle I traded off to buy the sexy remington was a model 16 savage that shot .5" to .7" groups at 100yards , right out of the box. I hated the rifle for its blind magazine , ugly lines , chrome bolt body , cheap feeling stock , and cast bolt shroud. I sure wish I still had that rifle. For $700 I could have put a manners stock on it and cerakoted the whole thing. Stupid is as stupid does :(

Dotman , I have a cdl sf in 7mm-08 that broke me of ever wanting to buy another remington. The quality control is gone at remington since cerbus bought them. If it was an older 700 from the '70 id say jump all over it. The savages just shoot good these days and for my money a great deal. I will say the savages are just not sexy , good looking rifles like the remington is. If I am going for a no drama , just shoots good right out of the box rifle then I am all about the savage but if I want a project the the remington has a lot of work to offer. If Bell and Carlson would make a ti style stock for the savages I would be all savage all the time. That said , my current project is a push feed m70 winchester In 7mm wsm I picked up for $250.

The last Remington had and has a bunch of problems. First off the finish bubbled and peeled within a month , the scope mount holes are not strait , the action face is not square so barrel goes down and to the right enough to see , the bolt handle did not have a good solder and came off after I gently tapped it with a 8oz mallot when I blew a primer and it got jammed. If I put a real tight patch down the barrel you can feel where the barrel is tight in some places and looser in others. All in all the remington is a good looking piece of sh*t ! After bedding in a new stock and a new trigger , lots of load work all I have is a 1moa rifle that is crooked. I could of had a savage that would have shot better right out of the box and saved me $900 off the price of the remington and all the parts.

Oh , and the remington bolt lugs had about 20%contact on each side . After lapping the bejesus out of them I have about 85% mating but I wouldn't even think of trying factory ammo anymore. I neck size only anymore so if the headspace is long it doesn't matter. I fire form anything I shoot in it then load for real.

If I wasn't trying to equip for backpack hunting I would have already torn it apart and had it trued and a new barrel put on.

That's quite the horror story man!

Mike

Shrek

WKR
Mike , the only way I would buy another remington is used for the action. Going in I would plan on Truing it up and and every last thing other than the action would be quality aftermarket parts . Including the bolt even.

The 7-08 is destined to become either a 260 AI or a 6.5 saum. Mike , do you know if I would have to do anything to the feed rails to get the saum case to feed or will the 308 case family size work ? I already had the back of the magazine well machined back and put longer magazine in it.

Shrek

WKR
Dotman , you might try getting on 24hr round hole shi**er ( campfire ) and see if you can get a $50 off cabelas code that is good for anything if you are going to get the cabelas model savage.

Shrek

WKR
To get you excited about the savage , if you go on stockys stocks and look they have two manners that are making me want to sell so things and start a savage project. One is a blended tactical / sporter with the A3 grip position with a little more heel drop to make it easier to shoot from positions other than prone while still being pretty good to shoot prone and the other is their light sporter at 28oz.

Manners just released their new Elite Hunter stocks which you can check out on snipershide in the bolt rifle section. Will be up on their website by the 21st. Meant for heavier barrels and are designed to be of hunting weight with improved ergonomics of a tactical stock. Anywhere from 23-26 ounces!

Mike

Shrek

WKR
And there is a douglas 7mm wsm barrel with brake on longrangehunting right now. Damn my tractor ! It ate $2800 last week and left me broke :( I would be all over that and the used model 16 in 300 wsm on campfire. Then finnish and sell the winchester for the stock money. Alas it will have to wait.

Floorguy

WKR
You'll likely get a better out of the box shooter in the Savage as it seems that Remington's tolerances have suffered in recent years. If you know the owner of the Remington, ask to see some test targets. If it shoots good, I would go with the Remington. Without KNOWING how either would shoot, and if I had to bet money, I'd say the Savage would likely be more accurate.

Mike

I suggested checking test targets on rifles in the savage vs tikka thread but have since changed my mind as to their usefulness. My thinking on that goes back to my competition shooting in college I plan on writing up a big long post/article on it.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Dotman , did you get the rifle ?

Nope, Cabelas is so overwhelmed currently that the only firearms you can get are the ones in store. Sucks cause I'll miss the sale. No rush so I'll keep looking. Kinda looking at the Montana Rifle Co. Not a bad price for a small production outfit.

Shrek

WKR
That is a very nice rifle and the 30/06 is a great do it all round. congratulations. Now , what scope are you getting ?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
dotman,

What is your scope budget, and what is your maximum expected range?

This will help with both scope and ammo options.

Shrek

WKR
I can't tell you what your gun will like but I can tell you what I would never shoot , winchester supreme or any other coated bullet. Out to 500 yards either of the 165 to 180 grain loads will kill any elk or mule deer with authority. I would look to Federal Premium and Hornady Superformance ammo.
Get a good one piece cleaning rod and a bore guide and clean once shoot once for the first ten shots. Also , clean it before you shoot it the first time. No steel brushes and always clean from the action to the muzzle. Never reverse the brush in the barrel.
I like Zeiss but I am hearing great things about Meopta. My choice would be the z3 swarovski 3x12x50 but that is $900 on an open box special. A rapid z600 retical in a conquest is a good option.