Quick release plate question

This may sound like a stupid question but here goes. How are you guys keeping your quick release plates tight on your optics? Today was my second time out and after glassing for a couple hours the screw came loose. Any tricks? I used an impact drill when i got home today so we will see how that works.

2rocky

WKR
I have Loctite Blue in my archery toolkit for the bolts on my bow. It is firm but not forever...
The Loctite 0.2 fl. oz. Blue 242 Thread Locker is designed to lock and seal threaded fasteners to prevent loosening from vibration. It prevents leaks and the rusting of threads. It eliminates the need to stock expensive lock nuts and lock washers.

Designed to lock and seal threaded fasteners to prevent loosening from vibration
Prevents leaks and the rusting of threads
Fully cures in 24 hours
Ideal for 6 - 20mm fasteners
Removable with hand tools
Torque break/prevail: 115/53
Torque break/prevail: 115/53
Full cure in 24 hours
MFG Model # : 209728
MFG Part # : 209728

jherald

WKR
I would recommend against an impact drill of any sort on anything that has to do with the word "optics". You'll take an excellent chance at stripping your threads out and possibly voiding your warranty, maybe even causing internal damage, who knows. Optics companies can be funny about things of that nature done intentionally.

+1 on the blue Loc-Tite. I use it on anything I have that I need to keep from working loose. I would use the blue loc-tite on the threads, then hand tight only on it.

Some plates have anti-twist devices built into the plates to keep the optic from spinning on the plate, helps to keep the screw from coming loose. They are little tabs that pop up and keep the base of the optic in place.

BigSurArcher

Banned
Teflon tape has worked for me, it tightens up the gaps in those horrendously wide threads that have become the standard in the optics/ camera world.