Quick Vacation to Sedona, AZ

ewade07

WKR
My GF and I are heading down to Sedona next week for a little 4 day vacation. What are some fun things to do in the area? Good hiking spots? We both hate people so the less crowded the better! We will be renting a vehicle. Thanks!

Sedona is very crowded. Lots of trails but all the tourists hike those to.

I hate sedona but unfortunately my wife likes going there

dtrkyman

WKR
It is a beautiful place, definitely touristy in town, Flagstaff is not far as well as Grand Canyon. Was at the Canyon a couple years ago in a snow storm, when it cleared it was an amazing sight!

We just bounced around to different hikes and took the Jeep around on some trails.

If you really hate people, do not go there. The entire Sedona area is all about people. Billions of investment dollars spent there. High dollar homes everywhere. Crowded attractions and restaurants with high prices. Redrock, BMW, sunrises, wine bars, private jets....everything you don't want.

Our daughter and son-in-law had a destination wedding there several years ago. We had a great time but we went there knowing it would be all about people and events, places and money. Phenomenal area, but it's really Disneyland in Arizona.

Yup, what has been said is so true about Sedona. Cool looking place, but the tourists make me nuts. So F'n crowded, especially on weekends. Lots of hiking and some cool wineries in between cottonwood and Sedona. The adventure park just south of Flagstaff is pretty cool with zip lines and climbing.

MSC

FNG
Sedona is the gatlinburg of Arizona but so pretty! Just plan on going to these places early in the morning! Rent a can am. It’s really fun. Also go check out Gerome. Awesome drive up.

mmac

WKR
Lots to do and get away from at least some of the people. You can rent mt bikes and ride many of the area trails, quite a few. Hiking is easy and lots of maps and or feedback throughout town. I forget the name, but old cliff dwellings to explore on a short drive and hike from town. I wouldn't recommend the jeep tours, but you can rent rzr's and drive snebly hill road for some good views etc.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
So my question is this: Can you just hike anywhere in the NF around there? I told my GF we should just go off trail and she mentioned something about having to pay? I find it hard to believe that...

mmac

WKR
If you hike at the more popular places there is a red rock pass that allows you to park everywhere etc. If I remember, a day pass is $5. Buy online and print it out was easiest. IF not, there are lots of areas further out of town that you don't need it.

Blackcow

WKR
Slow season from Nov. 1 until Valentine’s Day, other than Thanksgiving weekend, and Xmas to New Years.The weekends tick up a bit, still not bad. 2nd week of March spring break kicks off season and it will be a shit show until Halloween. You need a red rock pass for any trailheads that have “amenities “ which means a bathroom and a red rock pass kiosk. The City has decided to f#ck the roads up, so if you don’t know how to use a traffic circle read up. Crappy weather mid next week, upper teens at night, upper 30s low 40s day, so pack accordingly or you’ll be at Cheers buying $100 dollar sweatshirts;)

Head a little ways north and west. Some old mining towns in the south Prescott national forest that are pretty cool.

Trr15

WKR
Been there a couple times and really enjoyed it. Town is crowded, but there are plenty of hiking and biking opportunities within a few minutes drive. Check out slide rock state park between Sedona and flagstaff if you head north.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
If crowds aren't your thing, I highly suggest avoiding Sedona. Jerome is nice.

Catchfish

WKR
Second vote for Jerome

West Fork of Oak trail was always a favorite for me, I asked my wife to marry me back there.

This time of year you could run up to snowbowl and ski, not sure where your coming from.

If you want a small town that is quiet to stay I would suggest Williams it’s higher in elevation but was always fun to drink in their bars.

Last edited:

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
Head up oak creek canyon to the west fork trail (also called Call of the Canyon) beautiful hike. Uptown Sedona has all the tourist shops and I usually eat at the cowboy club when I head down (live in Flagstaff). Devils Bridge trail is a popular one but get there early to beat the crowds. A longer but great hike is called “the crack” off I-17. Google “bell trail no. 13” and it will take you to the parking lot.

Sedona is popular and crowded for a reason.

There are plenty of spots to get away from crowds, but the cream of the crop is going to be crowded. Again for good reason.