Quickest/easiest tent to set up

mcseal2

WKR
I have always used a tarp with or without a bivy for summer camping while fishing on the river. Camping is often done on exposed sand bars. I will still camp in heavy rain and wind as long as lightning isn’t terrible.

I like the ventilation of the tarp for hot nights but I have to pack a little more and be a little more creative sometimes to set up on open sand bars. Also sometimes in high water camping on timbered islands a smaller footprint would be nice. The Megatarp I’ve used in bad weather is discontinued now too so I’m trying to save mine for hunting trips and use my Seek DST all the time. I’d like to have a tent as an option for some trips.

I am not overly concerned with weight, the boat will carry it. I want something simple and fast to set up with a storm rolling in or in the dark. Also something easy to get out of when I get a bite in the middle if the night. Big enough for a big guy and a kid for when my daughter gets old enough to go. Most important it needs to be durable and stout enough to handle rain, wind, and blowing sand for several years.

Here are a few pics of places I’ve set up before.

Thanks for the help.
88BA7C09-8931-4390-9C90-27957FBFBDB6.jpeg3D3AF416-F56D-45C7-8011-F2077A86D40D.jpeg

Attachments

• 0BB02218-ACB4-466D-BD64-4B0E8691FBB3.jpeg
    0BB02218-ACB4-466D-BD64-4B0E8691FBB3.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 56

Voyageur

WKR
I really like my Tarptent Stratospire II. You can use it with just the liner, the liner and fly, or with just the fly. Great tent in my opinion.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
My tunnel tent fjallraven also hilleberg very easy to set up. A pyramid tent with a trekking pole tent is also very simple and quick.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Those Gazelle tents do look pretty slick. Only worry I'd have on them is how much wind they might catch. I have used the cheap Coleman Insta-tents before and know they really catch the wind and make a ton of noise when they do. Mine is a 6 man though, it's way bigger than the smaller Gazelle tents. How do they do in wind?

One option I found while looking online during the rain today that looks nice for my solo trips is the Catoma Wolverine EBNS. It's a shade larger than the USGI bug bivy I use sometimes in my tarp now, and has a rainfly that sets up really quick. It wouldn't solve my long term plans as the kids get bigger. For me though the bug net could be used with my Seek DST tarp a lot of the time, or with the fly when I want simple, small footprint, and easy.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I would have to say the Big Sky International Revolution 2P is the easiest tent I've yet to set up. It's incredibly stable in the wind and is fairly roomy with two doors and vestibules. You can either choose a mesh or fabric inner (probably better for blowing sand). Additionally, the overall quality of construction and attention to detail is very good.

Last edited:
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Well I found a Catoma display model like I was looking at for $120. I decided to get it for now at that price, and will tackle the tent for taking the kids as they get bigger. My oldest is only 4 now and I will take her camping this summer, but not on the river just yet. I won't run the boat after dark with her due to the speed it takes to run shallow enough to get through the skinny water. She is also scared of thunder, so when I take her it will be on a creek with no weather expected. Somewhere we can bail out if she doesn't make it all night without wanting to leave. I want her first trips to be fun so she wants to go again.

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. I'll be in the market for something larger before long. I'll review how this Catoma set-up works after I get it used some.