Quiet and durable exterior/insulating layer?

TheCougar

WKR
I've got the Uncompaghre puffy that I run as my insulating layer. I typically reserve it for glassing or stationary hunting because I find that the outer shell is noisy and fragile (at least compared to what I am used to). I'm also bow hunting, so the giant puffy sleeve isn't conducive to shooting without the string slapping the sleeve. Are there any outer layers that are warm and block the wind, silent, durable, and conducive to shooting a bow? Maybe a fleece? Should I consider a vest?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
My Kryptec puffy is pretty darn soft and quiet for a puffy. Next to the Kenai, which does not block wind, it is my go-to.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need a soft shell option. Sitka 90 kuiu guide or the new SKRE hardscrabble jacket I'm currently testing

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Puffy all have a nylon shell to help cut the wieght of the jacket so pretty similar in noise department

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
What about fleece? Does it not meet one of my criteria? Maybe the FL sawtooth?. A little heavy, though. I think it is 21oz or something like that.

I use a wool shirt jacket now and don't carry a puffy or rain jacket anymore. I'm in the trial run on this, so I'll see how I like it. So far I am happier using just one jacket instead of two or three.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Kuiu Kenai. Its quiet and comfortable and warm. Sleeves aren't as "puffy" as down, but that's a good thing for bow.

Another option is the Halstead fleece from FL. It's warm, quiet and not puffy. (Not quite as warm as the Kenai, but that may be the right temp range for bow season depending on your location)

A vest is an option, but I'd rather have the warmth on my arms if I really need it. Personal preference, though.

warrior80

WKR
If you don't have a vest as part of your layering system, I would strongly consider it. Whether it's the outer layer such as a Kuiu Guide or Sitka Jetstream vest or the insulation layer, Superdown, Kelvin Lite, etc. It's amazing how much warmer you can stay by insulating your core and it cuts down on bulk on your arms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
If you don't have a vest as part of your layering system, I would strongly consider it. Whether it's the outer layer such as a Kuiu Guide or Sitka Jetstream vest or the insulation layer, Superdown, Kelvin Lite, etc. It's amazing how much warmer you can stay by insulating your core and it cuts down on bulk on your arms.

Strongly agree with this. Never used to care for vests until I tried them. Now I have a couple and love em. I couldn't believe how much warmth they provide and love the fact that you don't feel as constricted.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of those hybrid jackets? The ones with an insulated body and softshell sleeves?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Jetstream jacket or vest all the way it's my go too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Well both Warrior80 and Agross bring up great points to reduce the bulk in the sleeves. I don't think the guide series is all that warm (at least not the jacket), so I'd lean toward the superdown or Kenai. The Kenai material is quieter though....

I may have to try a vest now!!

nrh6.7

WKR
I also had similar thoughts about the vest. Purchased the uncompagrhe vest and cirrus from FL thinking I could use the vest hiking and don the cirrus while sitting still.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also had similar thoughts about the vest. Purchased the uncompagrhe vest and cirrus from FL thinking I could use the vest hiking and don the cirrus while sitting still.
I think you'll like it. I run an down vest with a teton puffy. For the same reason. The vest can fit under or over the jacket. Neither way has a performance benifit, just depends which one I start with.

Down can be a sweat factory but with a vest heat dumps out the arm holes. I assume the uncompahgre vest would breathe better because of the nature of the 37.5 treatment.

You will have better wind protection with the cirrus than I do. Also you won't need a rain jacket as often.

Over I like having an insulated vest instead of a second merino, poly or fleece layer. More warmth for the weight and a puffy vest isn't so loud when worn over a shirt since it doesn't have noisy sleeves rubbing on the body.

I personally like the quietness of the teton for archery season, otherwise I'd look into a more traditional puffy like the cirrus.

For the OP I've also worn my down vest under a midweight fleece jacket. Pretty toasty, quiet, and durable. Down side is my particular fleece is heavy at 23 ounces, holds burs, and the typical melting near a campfire.

Does anyone know how the new sitka kelvin active may fit the needs?

warrior80

WKR
I think you'll like it. I run an down vest with a teton puffy. For the same reason. The vest can fit under or over the jacket. Neither way has a performance benifit, just depends which one I start with.

Down can be a sweat factory but with a vest heat dumps out the arm holes. I assume the uncompahgre vest would breathe better because of the nature of the 37.5 treatment.

You will have better wind protection with the cirrus than I do. Also you won't need a rain jacket as often.

Over I like having an insulated vest instead of a second merino, poly or fleece layer. More warmth for the weight and a puffy vest isn't so loud when worn over a shirt since it doesn't have noisy sleeves rubbing on the body.

I personally like the quietness of the teton for archery season, otherwise I'd look into a more traditional puffy like the cirrus.

For the OP I've also worn my down vest under a midweight fleece jacket. Pretty toasty, quiet, and durable. Down side is my particular fleece is heavy at 23 ounces, holds burs, and the typical melting near a campfire.

Does anyone know how the new sitka kelvin active may fit the needs?
I tried on one of the new Kelvin jackets in the Sub-Alpine. I thought it was the Kelvin lite, but after looking at the descriptions on the website I believe it was the Kelvin active. It had no hood. Anyway, the material was soft. It was more like the Kuiu Kenai and not the typical material of the Kelvin lite.

Dobermann

WKR
I use a wool shirt jacket now and don't carry a puffy or rain jacket anymore. I'm in the trial run on this, so I'll see how I like it. So far I am happier using just one jacket instead of two or three.

Justin: a wool shirt jacket? Can you tell us more about this?

I have two of them. One is made by woolrich, bought it off eBay for about $25. It's a light brown, mustard type color. The other is a king of the mountain frontier shirt. It's more of a brownish, woodland camo pattern, also purchased from eBay for about $150.

I've been wearing them for short hikes in the woods since November. I've been snowed on and rain on and haven't had any issues. I usually wear a light merino base layer under and add or subtract a mid weight merino layer or vest as needed.

I kept ripping and putting holes in my puffy jackets and rain jackets so I decided to try something different.

I'll admit, they are heavier, but so far they've been much more durable and way quieter.