Quiet Bulls due to Smoke?

Yesterday was opening day for Archery in NW Wyoming. One half-assed bugle from a little guy. Other than that, not a peep.

We saw elk, we called one in until the wind busted us. But no response to bugles, cow calls, nothing.

I see this is pretty much what's happening everywhere in the West. Could this be due to the smoke everywhere? Normally they are screaming by this time of year. We were thinking they use their sense of smell so much, maybe the smell of smoke is throwing them off and their desire to remain in safe cover is overriding their desire to call out and collect cows?

Anyone know if this is true. If it is, I'm kinda depressed about this archery season :(

I've seen bulls scream their heads off during smoky weather in past seasons. I would attribute the lack of action more to the heat than the smoke.

Looks like we have a cool down coming this weekend. Combine that with cows coming into estrus, and things should turn around soon.

OP
A
I thought the heat may be an issue, but in years past it's been this hot as well and they sound off.

It could be a combination of things (heat, smoke, super dry) pushing the rut back a bit? I'm just trying to figure out the problem so I can develop a plan for the solution. Bulls not calling during archery makes it feel like rifle season, minus the snow, plus the difficulty of getting in closer :). found one really nice bull who would be dead if it were rifle season though.

Sled

WKR
It's likely less due to smoke and more die to the covid. Elk are usually social creatures but with all this pandemic stuff the elk are trying to be more socially distant and consequently talk less. Or it could just be that every tom, dick and harry come running as soon as they pipe up.

OP
A
It's likely less due to smoke and more die to the covid. Elk are usually social creatures but with all this pandemic stuff the elk are trying to be more socially distant and consequently talk less. Or it could just be that every tom, dick and harry come running as soon as they pipe up.
Great point! The elk I saw did seem to be practicing social distancing. So you may have a point :)

It was opening day for archery so they haven't been crushed with bad buglers yet. I'm starting to think it's just a lull and things will pick up.