Quiet Clothing for Moose Hunting

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Going on my 1st Moose hunt this fall, was supposed to be last fall. My understanding is that Moose have fantastic hearing.

Will be hunting in Northern Alberta in Early October. Hunting big timber cut blocks, ravines, etc. Conditions will range from upper 20's deg F - to upper 40's deg F. Told to expect potential mix of rain and snow.

I have looked into the Kuiu line along with First Lite & Sitka. Will plan on layering so I can adjust based on whether we are stalking or scoping. The DCS Guide jacket looks to handle the waterproof part. Concerned if this style outwear will be quiet enough?

Not as concerned about 100% waterproof so material options are open.

Looking for recommendations and experience with above brands and others.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Honestly don't think you need "quiet" clothes for moose hunting, but clothes that fit and perform layer protection is key. I wouldn't buy anything new unless it fits the latter category.

VernAK

WKR
Agree! My moose hunting clothes aren't selected for noise abatement but I have seen moose scared off by a friend jerking his velcro pocket flap open.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I moose hunt either "nude" or in my "undershorts". But then I just watch out the window till the desired moose is a clean shot out the cabin window. Generally this takes place at first light, and first cup of coffee, so have not yet selected the proper dress for that days weather.

As stated above quiet clothing is a non-issue. Staying warm and/or Semi-dry should be a clothing consideration.

Now "if" you really want to obsess about some aspect of moose hunting attire.........Blocking heartless attacks from bloodthirsty "White socks" should be at the pinnacle of you priorities.

Last edited:

bowonly

FNG
I would disagree that quiet clothing is not needed. If bowhunting, quiet clothing could be necessary for stalking close or even just drawing a bow at close range. Moose have excellent hearing

The thing is, it's not the sound you need to worry about...it's the helicopter sized inserts living in the swamp. Aerowool base, Sitka Core Light hoody w/ built-in facemask are a must. Saved me in Alberta! Wear glasses! MOOSEMANcrop.jpgAnd completely quiet too.

OP
Nomadx2

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly don't think you need "quiet" clothes for moose hunting, but clothes that fit and perform layer protection is key. I wouldn't buy anything new unless it fits the latter category.

Yes, plan on layering. From sitting to stalking want to be able to shed layers.

OP
Nomadx2

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider

What clothing would you recommend then?

I had a friend wearing frogtogg rain gear spook a moose while trying to get into position for a shot one year.....It was the only moose we "saw" on a 14 day trip. I was pretty sour about it...

Wapiti1

WKR
Any of the layering systems would be fine. They are quiet up to the hard shell. The hard shells will make some noise, but not a lot if you pay attention. I would take what I normally take for a rifle elk trip. Baselayer, outer, insulation, and hard shell.

One thing on the shell jackets and pants is to wear them a bit before the hunt and they soften a lot.

Brand is up to your budget. Any of the three you mentioned would work just fine. Kryptek is also good as is Skre.

Jeremy

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Frankly wool layers are my go-to clothing kit. I have a lightweight pair of bottoms to wear under my Carhart cargos under my waders when cold weather hits. But usually just wear to sleep around camp.

lightweight merino sweater (IBEX) over a T-shirt. Medium weight mid layer Merino. One Prana sweater that is wool/acrylic blend to wear on super windy days. Raintop for wind protection with inner layers described above (temperature regulated).

Shemagh, wool gloves, wool socks, beanie

The camo kit I wear is Kryptek.

OP
Nomadx2

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I would disagree that quiet clothing is not needed. If bowhunting, quiet clothing could be necessary for stalking close or even just drawing a bow at close range. Moose have excellent hearing

I agree. Have spent a lot of time deer bow hunting and while movement is an issue, sound can alert and spook them before you can see them.

OP
Nomadx2

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Frankly wool layers are my go-to clothing kit. I have a lightweight pair of bottoms to wear under my Carhart cargos under my waders when cold weather hits. But usually just wear to sleep around camp.

lightweight merino sweater (IBEX) over a T-shirt. Medium weight mid layer Merino. One Prana sweater that is wool/acrylic blend to wear on super windy days. Raintop for wind protection with inner layers described above (temperature regulated).

Shemagh, wool gloves, wool socks, beanie

The camo kit I wear is Kryptek.

That was my plan. Multiple layer options that I can shed or put back on as needed. Start with poly base and then merino mid layer. I like the idea of fleece outer layer, probably the quietest option.

I have Cabela's wooltimate gloves and love them. I like the Shemagh type fingerless wool gloves until it gets too cold. A couple of hot hands packs in my jacket pocket can solve that.

For rifle hunting you could probably wear almost anything up to and maybe including a Reflectix space suit. Moose will tolerate noise based on distance. I've hopped out of a plane and had moose within decent rifle range just hanging around. A couple years ago a cow and calf walked right into camp while my partner and I were still setting things up.

BUT....give me quiet clothing every single time. That's mainly because I'm a short range bowhunter and every bull I've killed was taken at under 20 yards. I once stalked in to 13 steps from a genuine huge bedded bull in order to get my shot, and that's simply not happening with noisy or even average clothing. More than just that, I just prefer to go quietly in the bush. I enjoy moving around without alerting nearby animals, birds, etc.

The KUIU lineup is good, and I've used about all of it....with some noisy exceptions. I've also worn the First Lite Catalyst softshell stuff and can tell anyone it's much softer and quieter than anything else comparable. I also rate the Catalyst pieces above the other softshells for comfortable wear. Stretch factor is very good and the cut is just a bit more normal versus the very tight 'athletic' fit touted by KUIU.