Quiet Down Mid Layer

DBarr

FNG
Please help me figure out a good midlayer down hooded jacket, that is also really warm.
I own both the Kuiu superdown ultra and a Sitka kelvin lite down. Both drive me crazy with how crinkly loud they are. Especially the hoods. I'm wearing under a Jetstream or Stratus jacket. Thanks!

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking for the same thing and just got the kuiu kenai on order. I know it's not down but should be light and warm. I currently just use an EB down vest with a light softshell over to quiet it and that works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The brooks down sweater is a good mid layer that stays quiet. It was a tad noisy at first but quiets down after a few uses. I also have the super down ultra from Kuiu and it’s much louder than the brooks.

H80Hunter

WKR
Patagonia silent down is not silent, but pretty quiet, especially for down. When I’ve used down for a mid layer I like a vest because the lack of arms helps also keep noise down.

golfbum

WKR
I am looking at this setup as well. Hoping I am happy with my Superdown pro with a Strong Fleece 280 or Peleton 240 over to quiet it down.

montei

FNG
I was looking for the same thing and just got the kuiu kenai on order. I know it's not down but should be light and warm. I currently just use an EB down vest with a light softshell over to quiet it and that works.

I love my kenai ultra jacket. Very versatile and silent.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I love my kenai ultra jacket. Very versatile and silent.
I just received my vest and can say it's way more quiet than all my other puffies. Looking forward to seeing how it functions out in the field.

Kuiu Kenai. I snagged the older model on outlet this past summer. I used it as my puffy for early season elk. In that specific use case it left a few things to be desired.

That said, I was just thinking to myself I wish I would of ordered it without a hood (or better yet as a vest) and treated it like a super warm mid layer for when things get stupid cold. It is also extremely quiet. I could see myself using it as an outer layer on stalks with my bow, but for glassing from wind swept ridges I just wish I had something slightly warmer (I was using this as my outer layer puffy).

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Outdoor Research transcendent down jacket (I think it's a model no longer made) that is very quiet. OR makes high quality stuff for less money than the major hunting brands. No camo, but plenty of earth tones and for a mid-layer camo isn't really important.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
The kuiu kenai is my go to quiet cold weather coat. I wear it mostly bow hunting. It’s not as warm as my SG Grumman coat, but it is definitely quieter.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I bow hunt a ton of a kania really quiet, I put a down vest under for the down warmth without the noise when it's necessary. Obviously you're not looking for durability talking down so no option will be great in brush

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As some have noted the Kuiu Kenai is a very good choice if you want a down similar jacket that is very quiet….not as warm as down but a very versatile jacket to have in the collection.