Quiet elk, not even cow chatter

Sled

WKR
Not as far as I know. There's been a couple sightings in northern Utah, but I wouldn't expect them to be where I am.

not sure if you hunt where i hunt but i had wolves thru my spotter in the uintas south slope a few years back. it was hard to find elk for a week.

i've found the elk to be a little more quiet during hot and dry days.

OP
H
not sure if you hunt where i hunt but i had wolves thru my spotter in the uintas south slope a few years back. it was hard to find elk for a week.

i've found the elk to be a little more quiet during hot and dry days.

Whoa! I'm on the south slope. I haven't heard if any sightings on the south before. How many did you see?

Deadfall

WKR
This time of year, they'll come but usually quiet. Little chirping with some light to medium type raking in evenings. Middle of day good time to nap by a water hole. Atleast for this time of year.

Late afternoon to dark is best time. Like from 5 on.

Might try little squealy stuff in middle of day.

Deadfall

WKR
Little cow talk through day as you move and stop. Just light chatty stuff. Different tones and pitches from 3 or 4 different calls at the same time. May not get a response. Think big picture. Scenario is just a hand full of cows moving their way to bedding.

Then later in day the raking will make it seem as if a bull as moved in.

Once in awhile throw in a little estreaus cow.

Pretend you are an actor in a saga, not a short story.

OP
H
Little cow talk through day as you move and stop. Just light chatty stuff. Different tones and pitches from 3 or 4 different calls at the same time. May not get a response. Think big picture. Scenario is just a hand full of cows moving their way to bedding.

Then later in day the raking will make it seem as if a bull as moved in.

Once in awhile throw in a little estreaus cow.

Pretend you are an actor in a saga, not a short story.

I like it. Similar to Elk nut's strategies. Paint a picture and a story for them!

Deadfall

WKR
Idk who elk nut is, but yes paint a picture. Key is patience. Most guts are patient enough. Key this time of year is to run a marathon, not a sprint. Most guys wanna sprint. There's a time for it. Just not yet

OP
H
Idk who elk nut is, but yes paint a picture. Key is patience. Most guts are patient enough. Key this time of year is to run a marathon, not a sprint. Most guys wanna sprint. There's a time for it. Just not yet

Thank you. Elk Nut is Paul Medel. He makes elk calling educational material. His phone app is an incredible resource.

Sled

WKR
Whoa! I'm on the south slope. I haven't heard if any sightings on the south before. How many did you see?
2 for sure. a udot friend of mine has a photo of one crossing the new wildlife bridge on parleys.

OP
H
2 for sure. a udot friend of mine has a photo of one crossing the new wildlife bridge on parleys.

I don't know how many it would take for them to really take hold in Utah, but that makes me feel like things are going to change in these woods over the next 5 to 10 years

Def add in raking to your cold calling situations. Get them really curious. Might not happen fast, might take them until they get up from a mid day slumber but it's worth a good try.

AZmark

WKR
Not sure where youre at but in eastern AZ they have been talking up a storm since Late May/June when the calves were born, and still talking as of last night. The mama goes real load when they get separated. Starting to see smaller bulls hanging out with the cows right now but they'll be getting chased away. Calf calls should work for the cows.

Sled

WKR
I don't know how many it would take for them to really take hold in Utah, but that makes me feel like things are going to change in these woods over the next 5 to 10 years

possibly. colorado no has a documented pack in the north west corner. we are pretty much connected to NW colorado thru the uintas. the last ones i saw were back in 2016.

I've called in mucho cows and calves using cow sounds. especially early season. that was the early years when blind calling was a primary tactic. called a few bulls in with the same tactic. funny how time changes things. i think i maybe have called in a handful of cows since 2012. the vast majority since then have been bulls. and with a call not many are using evidently. love my Elknut Chuckler ;)

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
If they have pressure they will be silent. Call softly and sparingly and wait a long time to see what may come looking for you. Public land hunting to me is about being quiet and calling sparingly.

Marble

WKR
I just posted a similar thread.
I haven’t been able to get bugle, a chirp, or bring in elk silently. I’m hunting idaho panhandle and I think I would have better odds of seeing flying pigs at this point.
Are you seeing fresh sign? Meaning poop so fresh its warmish, still more green than dark, smell elk cause they have been in the area?

If you get close enough to a herd morning or evening, you'll hear them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Cover country until you find elk willing to be vocal. Silent elk can be killed but a guy better know what he is doing to get it done.