Quiet Fabric Suggestions

rexahayes

Lil-Rokslider
My Ribz front pack was taken a few years ago and it was so awesome I'm going to try and diy a version of it.

I'd love to make it with a quiet fleece/napped/amerisuede/wool type material. No too worried about water resistance. I could always sandwich some ripstop on the back and seam seal.

I got some faux wool/felt type material from hobby lobby, but it wasn't very durable.

Any one have direct experience with something quiet and somewhat durable?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
rexahayes

rexahayes

Lil-Rokslider
This is a rolltop fanny pack I made for bow hunting with that material. Sandwiched some coated cordura with it.
83ef5a4794b26ec6afc863b361ab8dff.jpg

I just started making stuff with it this summer, so I can't say how durable it is. I should know by the end of the season. X-Pac has pretty good tear strength but I don't know how the face fabric will hold up to abrasion.

Abrasion and tearing at stitch lines were my concerns.

Make sure you reinforce attachment points on that suede with some Cordura or similar. When I got my sample, I slapped a piece of webbing on top and bartacked it to the fabric with the 55 stitch pattern I use for everything. I tugged on the webbing a bit, nothing extreme, and in no time the threads that form the base of the suede fabric were failing. Subsequent testing with a 42 stitch bartack surfaced the same issue.

The relatively thin suede and thin film (.25 mil PET?) had me concerned about abrasion from inside and outside of the bag.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you. Please share your experience after this season!

OP
rexahayes

rexahayes

Lil-Rokslider
I just started making stuff with it this summer, so I can't say how durable it is. I should know by the end of the season. X-Pac has pretty good tear strength but I don't know how the face fabric will hold up to abrasion.
How'd that xpac hold up?

Great. The stitches held, seems to be decent against abrasions. The pouch I made was attached to my bino harness so it didn't get tons of abuse but I definitely didn't baby it.