Quiet gobblers

rclouse79

WKR
I took my son out for the youth season Saturday. We ended up covering quite a bit of ground and called quite a bit. This was the first trip we didn’t even hear a bird. I am hoping they are still in the area, and they just didn’t feel like talking with the cold front that moved in.

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
If they do not shock gobble, I look for another area for that day.

Few years ago, I was on an old friends farm, he said he had been hearing a Tom tearing it up the last few mornings. Gobbles at every noise. He was so hot, I sat down, made a few tree calls, flapped my hat on the ground and he was on top of me at 5 feet before I knew it. Hell I think my heart was racing as hard as his.
Till he came eyeball to the end of my shotgun, then it played out like a Louney Tunes cartoon. He ran about 25 yards before I dusted him.

But nothing like the time a took an older friend of mine out to my favorite spot. I knew a couple birds was getting hot. But lord I had no idea there would be 9 of them. 9 birds and could not get a shot off. You couldn't blink without them seeing it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
If they do not shock gobble, I look for another area for that day.

Few years ago, I was on an old friends farm, he said he had been hearing a Tom tearing it up the last few mornings. Gobbles at every noise. He was so hot, I sat down, made a few tree calls, flapped my hat on the ground and he was on top of me at 5 feet before I knew it. Hell I think my heart was racing as hard as his.
Till he came eyeball to the end of my shotgun, then it played out like a Louney Tunes cartoon. He ran about 25 yards before I dusted him.

But nothing like the time a took an older friend of mine out to my favorite spot. I knew a couple birds was getting hot. But lord I had no idea there would be 9 of them. 9 birds and could not get a shot off. You couldn't blink without them seeing it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Nice, I had a group come in hot last year and it gets your heart going for sure. I just got back into turkey hunting a few years ago after going in college. Saturday was the first time I have hunted when a major cold front blew in the night before. I don’t have enough experience to say that made the birds go quiet, but that is my guess.

fatlander

WKR
If turkeys are there, it doesn’t matter if they’re gobbling or not. Sit down somewhere he likes to strut and do some lonely hen yelps while scratching the leaves and some soft clicks and purrs every 20 minutes or so.

If turkeys aren’t there, hunt somewhere else. My hunting buddy and I were discussing how much fun it is to hunt the birds that are hot as fire, but how often you don’t kill those turkeys. Conversely, when we’ve just posted up and acted like a lonely hen turkey, we almost always kill the bird’s that answer.

Run and gun hunting is gobs of fun, but it pressures birds, a lot. Pressured turkeys are the hardest to kill. Excited yelping happens so infrequently in the turkey woods, but hunters want to run around and do it everyday, all day. Act like a turkey, and you’ll kill turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
IMO..if the spot is frequented by Turks and they were just there recently and the weather has them quiet...I would play more of the sit and reservedly call game than run around. They are still moving and eating just not announcing there presence.

Just like Elk hunting...unless you actual spot some it is many times better to just sit tight. (that is the only comparison I will make between Turkey and Elk)

Jimss

WKR
Where I hunt in Colo the gobblers are often super quiet. They find out in a hurry that if they make noise they get eaten by bobcats lions bears or coyotes. There also is lots of country with few turkeys. If you sit in one spot you may never hear or see a turkey. Every location may be different. The big thing is to be adaptable and figure out what turkeys like in your area on any particular day.

RickLB

FNG
The birds were talking but they’ve went quite this past week. I do believe it’s due to coyotes. Had a coyote come out 15’ from me, not sure who was more surprised him or me.. I had no time to shoot him. I did trap 5 of them this past trapping season.

Last edited:
OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
The birds were taking but they’ve went quite this past week. I do believe it’s due to coyotes. Had a coyote come out 15’ from me, not sure who was more surprised him or me.. I had no time to shoot him. I did trap 5 of them this past trapping season.
Shoot that bugger next time. If I find your theory to be correct I am going to take up coyote hunting in my turkey spots.

Yea one year I was hunting the mtns of Colorado . I would find a bird. I would hear couple gobbles and they would go silent. Wouldn’t hear or see them the rest of the day. This happened a couple of times. Left me scratching my head. I was then Calling one day and had a coyote appear 20 yards away. Couldn’t shoot it before it got away. Later in the season. I was calling a bird in. I happen to look and see a coyote sitting about 100 yards away watching. I ended up arrowing the bird and then see a coyote running away with my bird in his mouth. I ran after it and yelled and it dropped my bird.

Moral of the story is I figured out why I was
Hearing a bird gobble To my calls and then they would shut up. It was coyotes keying in on the gobbles.

It’s not always the cause of birds being quiet or pressured. But just something I experienced and definitely a factor I think .

Last edited:
OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Yea one year I was hunting the mtns of Colorado . I would find a bird. I would hear couple gobbles and they would go silent. Wouldn’t hear or see them the rest of the day. This happened a couple of times. Left me scratching my head. I was then Calling one day and had a coyote appear 20 yards away. Couldn’t shoot it before it got away. Later in the season. I was calling a bird in. I happen to look and see a coyote sitting about 100 yards away watching. I ended up arrowing the bird and then see a coyote running away with my bird in his mouth. I ran after it and yelled and it dropped my bird.

Moral of the story is I figured out why I was
Hearing a bird gobble To my calls and then they would shut up. It was coyotes keying in on the gobbles.
Alright, now I am going to bring my 22 along with my shotgun. If I can’t get a turkey maybe I can get a coyote and save a turkey or two.