quiet waterproof shell jacket and pants

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
This is probably a never ending debate and I'm sure there have been several other threads on the webpage about finding a waterproof and quiet shell for rain/snow. I recently completed a CO elk hunt (got a nice 5x5) and one lesson I learned was unfortunately the Kuiu chugach pant and jacket are extremely noisy. Most of my hunts on in the CA desert with mild conditions. It was not very noticable during the heavy rain and snow, but when we were trying to cover ground it drove me crazy! For bow hunting they would be a total bust.

Any suggestions?? Cabelas MT050 are currently on sale.

ps-The Merino 185 zip-t was awsome!!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have worn quite a bit of brushed faced rain gear. My favorite is Cabelas Rain Suede, very durable, great price. Never liked the fit of the MT050 pants. But I think either would work fine....

shanevg

WKR
All I can tell yours that I'd you live in Western WA you need to have a hardcore rain shell like the Kuiu Chugach or Sitka stuff. When it rains here those rain suede coats don't do anything for you. I always figure with the rain coming down the noise won't be near as much as an issue anyways.

Congrats on the elk by the way!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shanevg, he is in California and Colorado. They don't get the Precip that we get up here or the morning dew for that matter. They have it easy;)

Beastmode

WKR
Beast, I thought it was all hot babes and sunshine down there??

Its pretty rough finding witch letter of the hollywood sign is the best vantage point for glassing but I make due! Haha
We actually get a fair amount of precipitation 90-100". Nothing like the Chugach Range but still a good enough amount for good rain gear.

Jimbob

WKR
Backpack hunting- you need rain gear that will dry out = noisey.
Hunting from camp - you can get away with quiet rain gear that you can hang by the fire place and DRY out each night.

I use an event shell that makes noise but when the rain is coming down noise is not as important. When the rain stops I take it off and let my soft shell deal with the wet foliage.

Hiked with a buddy this summer that brought his military rain gear. It was goretex with a brushed surface and I told him that will wet out and hold a few pounds of water. He didn't believe me because he only ever used this jacket for day trips. At the end of the day he hung up his coat at home so he never realized how long it took to dry out. Long story short on the trip his coat soaked up about 5 lbs of water LOL and he had to cary that in his pack for the next few days, we never got the right weather or stopped long enough for his coat to dry out.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
For me none of the rain gear is rip proof. I have had Sitka, Kuiu, HH, and to many other brands to count. Where I hunt my legs get wet every day from the Dew on the overgrown Hell brush that I hunt. So now I just use the Cheap space rain from Cabala's. It's durable enough and I don't feel bad when I rip it.

The brushed face rain gear does seem to be a bit more tear resistant. But it does seem to bleed through faster.

Rocky

WKR
I like the rubline jacket and pants from real tree. It is packable, quiet, and durable. I'm in sw Washington so we get a bit of rain :)

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I like the response above mentioning the hunting from backpack or camp. If I'm in camp or my truck, I can let stuff dry out. I do recall when it was actually snowing/raining in CO there was not a noise issued. One thing I did run into was bushwacking after the rain and snow ended can be pretty sloppy. I ended up purchasing the Cabelas MT050 camo. It was on sale and a good bargain.

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Just give you an update. I'll keep the MT050 jacket, but I was disappointed in the pants because they were a little bulky, did not zip the entire length of the leg, and did not have a zipper and buckle infront. Still keeping my Kuiu jacket and pants for nasty mountain weather.