Quietest pack frame

sivart

WKR
Out of the several packs I've tried, I notice that the material of the shoulder straps and belt make a big difference on noise. I get that arm swing will always cause some noise. Though which is the quietest?

OP
S

sivart

WKR
It's that "swoosh" sound, when too loud can start to drive me crazy after mile 2.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I'm willing to use a more uncomfortable pack, if the straps are quieter.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From a manufacturer's perspective....

Most hunting packs are going to use a 500 Denier Cordura for the face fabric on shoulder straps and hipbelts. If you go to more UL packs they may use a 210 or 70 D nylon packcloth.

500D sounds like 500D. I don't think you'll notice a lot of difference there. Some may use a brushed fleece or tricot style fabric with a slightly softer hand. Those fabrics will also collect more water and probably wear out faster. There are tradeoffs in everything.

In my experience the person wearing the pack makes FAR more noise than the pack does.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely think along the lines mentioned above. The hunter is always the biggest factor in noise. Also, are you using this out west or for white tails in the east? I can see some merit to a softer material for a daypack that you may wear while stalking/still hunting for whitetail deer. If I were out west on a spot and stalk type hunt, I’d definitely drop my ruck before doing any stalking.
Even with white tails though, I’ve killed them while still-hunting wearing 500-1000D day packs, nylon hiking pants, BDU pants, heavy boots, etc. It’s all about how and when you choose to move. Even if you had some super quiet clothing and equipment, you still step on leaves, twigs, or brush against some brush and make noise as you go.

With all that said, squeaking pack frames can be bothersome. Baby powder I’ve heard helps some frames. Also, make sure your compression straps are snug. Not loose, of course, but also not cinched down to the point that it creates abunch of stress on the frame, contributing to more squeaking.