Quieting my bow

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a new bow last season, a Bowtech Destroyer 340. Other than adding sights, fall away rest, a quiver and a stabilizer I have not done anything to the bow. I bought my previous bow about 8 years earlier and I had a pair of Limbsaver's on each limb and string leaches. I haven't really paid any attention to the advances in this area, so I'm wonder what is out there now that really works?

Lukem

WKR
Th biggest advancement has been in the bows themselves. Night and day from 10 years ago. IMO, not much has really changed in the vibration dampeners other than there's a few more companies in the market other than just Sims.

jamaro

FNG
I would tend to agree with Lukem... BUT if you really want to have a quieter shooting bow switch to a heavier arrow...
Jason

OP
Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I have done just that. When I bought this bow I went light and was shooting a 388 gr arrow 300 fps. I'm over that now :) and am now at 430 grs and 278 fps. Are you guys using dampners now or do you feel you are quiet enough with your bow as is?

Lawnboi

WKR
Heavier arrows..... thats the only thing that will REALLY make a difference. You can add a bunch of rubber crap to it but imo that dosnt do much if anything.

Cat whiskers on the string are the only rubber vibe dampering product i will put on my bow. Ahh id maybe throw one of those bowjax on my stab as well.

BigSurArcher

Banned
+3 on heavier arrows! Makes a world of difference in quieting the bow, and they are louder hitting animals which is always fun to hear!

RUTTIN

WKR
I shoot a 460 grain arrow, you might give up a little speed, but like BigSurArcher said it packs a whallop when it hits the animal. I use sims products and mole skin on every thing that might make a metallic sound.

Lukem

WKR
Regardless of what you use as a string silencer, try putting the top one a quarter of the way down and the bottom one a third of the way up. It is explained in this article...http://www.tradbow.com/public/Heterodyning.cfm.

That's interesting. Might have to try that and see if it makes any difference. That does put your silencers a lot farther toward the nock point though.

I'd also agree on the heavier arrow. Heavier arrows absorb more energy than lighter ones and the energy that isn't absorbed has to go somewhere and ends up as sound. The issue becomes balancing sound/momentum and velocity for your hunting setup. Everybody has to find that medium that they're comfortable with.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Interesting theory... I think the frequencies get a little more complex on a compound with other factors like peep-sights and string stops, etc...
Might be worth a test though. I use string silecers - I do tink they help reduce string noise some. When you move silencers very far away from the ends they start costing you more performance. It also reduces the life of many of the sims' type of silencers. Probably OK with cat whiskers. I've had a couple animals "jump" the string, so I try to do what I can. I do like a heavy arrow too. I like 450 grains plus...

Coop

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
TM I think your arrow is heavy enough. If over 400 grains you are good to go. Double check everything is buttoned down well first. Once that is down, just experiment with different types of string silencers if the noise is coming from the string and/or cables. If it is some other noise, you need to find the source before you can find the solution.