Quilt comfort in temps?

xcutter

WKR
Just got my first quilt. It is a 10 degree Cedar Ridge TeConte. Looks to be of great quality. I have never used a quilt before but this thing weighs nothing. I'm concerned I'll freeze. I use a Klymit V Luxe Insulated pad. Typically I sleep in merino top and bottom. In the years past I have been using a 20 degree slick bag and it has been great except I tend to sleep on my belly or side and the bag can be difficult to get situated. I also was looking to cut some weight out of my sleeping setup. I will be using it the 3rd week of September in Colorado. Thanks for the help.

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
You’ll be fine. Depending on your shelter, you’ll need to make sure you seal off the drafts if you’re above tree line.

Make sure you have something to cover your head and neck at night. That pad is good enough to keep the cold ground from stealing your heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mlgc20

WKR
Agree with rekkr870. Last year I used a 30 degree Ketabatic quilt during Colorado 1st rifle (2nd week of October) at about 7K feet and was fine. I will use the same quilt for Colorado archery opening weekend and 1st rifle again.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I run my quilt in an EE Recon bivy and it completely eliminates the draft issue. Keeps everything together and you can do away with the pad straps. Another option to consider. I just roll my bivy, pad, and quilt up together and stuff into my pack. Rolled it out in a game trail in Nevada last week and cowboy camped.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Thanks for everyone's reply's so far. I did order the extra straps to attach it to my sleeping pad. Wish I could use it on a trial run before my hunt but the temp will not get cold enough around home. I'm just amazed how light the quilt is. Feels like nothing.

Your mileage may vary but I have a hard time sealing drafts. I love the freedom of a quilt but when temps drop well below freezing I swap to a mummy bag. I also issues with the quilt in a bivy thing and not being able to straighten things out.

I don't know the R value of your pad. Some quilt makers claim the pad is one of the primary reasons for getting cold

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bbrinks

FNG
I use a similar setup as sneaky with my quilt. I have a 10 degree hammock gear top quilt and neoair xtherm max pad that I use in conjunction with a Borah gear big bivy. Even though the top is all mesh, the bivy really helps to keep out drafts. I used it during third rifle season in Colorado last year and was warm down to 15 or so in merino baselayers and a wool cap. If they include the pad straps they also help to lock out drafts as long as they stay connected

EE Revelation 0° with a Neoair Xtherm all inside a Borah bivy.
Warm. Draft free. Versatile. Light af.
0° temps are just fine with this setup.