Quilt Comfort Temp Rating for September Elk

So I think I've decided to go to the dark side (err "lighter" side) and go with a quilt for my September archery hunts here in CO. Besides the weight savings, I'm also a "flopper"/active sleeper and never really slept great in a bag. I did my research and will be getting an appropriately R rated pad to compliment the quilt.

I'm wondering what ya'll would recommend in terms of a "comfort" temperature rating given that it's a quilt and has some versatility in it's ability to open up. Also, I'm leaning towards going a bit on the warmer side so I don't have to be super OCD about attaching said quilt to the pad (i.e., I can handle a bit of a draft and still be somewhat comfy). I guess my question is if 20 degrees is
the "sweet spot"?

mlgc20

WKR
I use a 30 degree Katabatic Quilt in Colorado for September archery and October 1st rifle. I'm typically at about 8K feet. It's gotten into the teens a few times. But, I just wear some clothes that I have with me and its not an issue. I'm sure you will be fine with a 20.

I have a 20 degree and I’ve ended up sleeping in clothes before. With an XTherm pad. I’d go 10 degree had I to do it again.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Remember you are the heater in any bag or quilt. Drafts quickly suck out the heat and lots of movement in too small of a quilt and on too small of a pad will quickly remove a lot of heat.

Temp ratings can vary , so you are better focusing on loft .. not temp ratings.

Also, baffle orientation or how it is stuffed can be important. Side sleepers are more likely to have down shifting.

IMO , going below a real 30 degrees , is where quilts become problematic for some and where the bulk of people are better of with a bag.

That being said, I have taken quilts to -25F in testing. The key to getting real cold, is a larger pad and larger quilt and really really minimizing drafts. Heat transfer speed is the result of the temp difference, so as the variance between inside your bag and outside get larger .. the faster a draft robs you.

BDRam16

WKR
I think I’m one of the one people who genuinely enjoys being in a mummy bag. But I’m also considering a quilt for the weight savings this September.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I use a 0 degree enlightened equipment enigma quilt for backpacking throughout the summer in Colorado at varying altitudes. For me there’s no way I’d want anything less than that for September & October. Everyone’s a little different though.

I’m not sure a quilt is good for a sleeper that moves a lot. My biggest complaint with quilts so far has been trying to figure out how to limit drafts when I roll, and no combination of pad straps has helped. I even got the wide version and I’m not a bulky person.

Im dabbling in hammocks because I think the under quilt / top quilt combo and the shape of the hammock itself will be better. If that doesn’t work, I’m going back to a mummy bag.

sndmn11

WKR
From the fill power and fill weight you can do the math to find out what volume of down you are getting. That fact in conjunction with the actual quilt size will get you an apples to apples comparison. I was fine last year with my base layers and beanie in Western Mountaineering's Astralite when it snowed in Colorado. I was actually a lot warmer than I would have predicted and had a Kodiak in the truck.

If I were doing one sleep system and was set on a quilt, I'd grab a 900+ fill power and something claimed to hit 5/10deg. With a 6r pad. Several possibilities in quilt makers to fit the bill.

I think that you are wise to go "warmer", like you stated. The temp ratings from different companies vary greatly and there is no industry standard for testing. The temp rating is supposed to be the lowest temperature that a person can sleep comfortably, but I have not found that to be the case. Add 10-15 degrees to that rating and you are usually closer to reality. Spend one long night on a mountain miserable because you are too cold and you will never make that mistake again! Also, don't skimp on the R-value of your sleeping pad. It really makes a big difference in how warm you sleep. If you are trying to go as light as possible and can afford it, cut your weight with a higher fill power down rather that a higher temperature rated quilt (or bag).

I have also found that quality down booties/socks (i.e. GooseFeet Gear) and a down hood/baclava are lightweight ways to help you sleep warm if you choose to go with a higher temp rated quilt.

Phaseolus

WKR
The Western Mountaineering Terralite bag has been a game changer for me since I flop a lot and need extra room.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in colorado, archery hunt Sept, and doing the same thing this year - actually already have the 20 degree quilt ordered. "Upgrading"from a Klymit 20 degree bag. My thought is/was I was sleeping with bag unzipped anyways and I'm flexible on when I can hunt because I live in the state I'm hunting. Can always make it back to the truck to get something warmer if needed. Almost went with a 30 degree. To me the lighter weight and less bulk in the bag will be worth it.

I cut my sleep system weight in half when I switched to a ThermaRest Xtherm and a 0 deg. EE Revolution. Quilts are easy to vent.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I have a klymit insulated pad and a 0F EE quilt. For me it's only good to just below freezing (say -5 C) if I wear clothes including my puffy. The straps help with drafts, as does being contained inside a Bora bivi. I use this set up in the mountains of BC until mid-September, after that I'm packing a bag (as other stated - going into the freezing temps a bag to cuts down on the drafts). For reference I'm a side sleeper and tend to sleep cold.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a 0 degree EE quilt that I use for summer and September use. I tried a 20 degree on an Xtherm in July one year at 10k feet and froze that night. I've had the 0 degree into the teens and been fine.