Quilt dimensions? What is the formula?

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to figure out how wide the quilt should be and am not sure of a formula. Having never used/owned a quilt, I am relying on your expertise to help.
(Yes, I know that everyone is different.)

The formula I found online (so it must be true) said to measure from the pad around your body back to the pad and add 4" to 6".

I am a wrestlers sleeper and may sleep and any given or all given sides in 1 night. Not wanting drafts to come in, how many inches do you add to the width of your quilt? Is there a magic formula?

I would rather buy once, cry once (get quality) but want to get it (the measurements) right the 1st time.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I am 5'10 195-200 and have been using a wide katabatic flex. With the wide I can use the cord system and eliminate all drafts but I am still able to move around.

I thought I measured the circumference of my shoulders and added 4 inches for being an active sleeper

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I am 5'10 195-200 and have been using a wide katabatic flex. With the wide I can use the cord system and eliminate all drafts but I am still able to move around.

I thought I measured the circumference of my shoulders and added 4 inches for being an active sleeper
Thanks. I appreciate that. I thought the addition of 4 to 6 inches was just for a back sleeper. I was not sure about side sleepers or active sleepers.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I am trying to figure out how wide the quilt should be and am not sure of a formula. Having never used/owned a quilt, I am relying on your expertise to help.
(Yes, I know that everyone is different.)

The formula I found online (so it must be true) said to measure from the pad around your body back to the pad and add 4" to 6".

I am a wrestlers sleeper and may sleep and any given or all given sides in 1 night. Not wanting drafts to come in, how many inches do you add to the width of your quilt? Is there a magic formula?

I would rather buy once, cry once (get quality) but want to get it (the measurements) right the 1st time.

The east answer is longest and widest you can get.

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
This is where I was initially going and then I stumbled across the Bandit XL from UGQ. That thing can go up to 65" wide vs the standard 55" wide.

At 65" wide, does that defeat the benefit of a quilt vs bag?

I am on the stout side at 230# 6' tall and wear a 46 Regular suite jacket.

Should I go with the 55" wide or go nuts with the 65" wide?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is where I was initially going and then I stumbled across the Bandit XL from UGQ. That thing can go up to 65" wide vs the standard 55" wide.

At 65" wide, does that defeat the benefit of a quilt vs bag?

I am on the stout side at 230# 6' tall and wear a 46 Regular suite jacket.

Should I go with the 55" wide or go nuts with the 65" wide?

Bet money you’ll dislike quilts if you go narrow.

This +100.

Do your home work and then CALL the company and speak to spmeone who knows their product. I bought my quilt semi custom from EE (apex convert) based on their posted measurements. However, theIR measurement is for an unfilled shell. Filling will knock 4 to 6 or more inches off the stated dimension. A few extra inChe’s and oz are not going to bother you. Having an expensive quilt that is drafty or too wide/short will piss you off. Ask me how I know.

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
This +100.

Do your home work and then CALL the company and speak to spmeone who knows their product. I bought my quilt semi custom from EE (apex convert) based on their posted measurements. However, theIR measurement is for an unfilled shell. Filling will knock 4 to 6 or more inches off the stated dimension. A few extra inChe’s and oz are not going to bother you. Having an expensive quilt that is drafty or too wide/short will piss you off. Ask me how I know.
I assume you have experienced this before.

I appreciate all of the wisdom from all of you.

BrianN

FNG
Most good companies will provide not only measurements of their sewn but not yet filled quilt, or a filled quilt, laid flat and pulled taught (which is essentially the same thing), and also some sort of guidance as how to measure yourself for their specific quilt sizes...or a sizing chart or graph which is what we do. Safest bet is to really do your homework or use the guidance from the company you plan to buy from and don't mix and match info with other companies much.

It's definitely true you don't want a quilt that is too narrow but having one that is too wide can be counterproductive also. In a quilt (or bag), it is your body that creates the warmth and your quilts job to trap that warmth. If a quilt or bag is much too large it becomes less thermally efficient (your body has to try to heat all the extra dead space). You can solve this by tucking more quilt under your body but then what was the purpose of getting a quilt? The concept of a quilt in the first place was to eliminate unneeded bulk and weight of fabric and insulation underneath you body. That being said it's still much better to be a bit wider. Carrying a few extra ounces is much better than freezing your nuts off with a quilt that lets in drafts.

I'm also 230# and 6', I am an active side sleeper and I use a regular/wide (78" long/60" wide). That size has been the sweet spot for me but everyone measures a little different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
Most good companies will provide not only measurements of their sewn but not yet filled quilt, or a filled quilt, laid flat and pulled taught (which is essentially the same thing), and also some sort of guidance as how to measure yourself for their specific quilt sizes...or a sizing chart or graph which is what we do. Safest bet is to really do your homework or use the guidance from the company you plan to buy from and don't mix and match info with other companies much.

It's definitely true you don't want a quilt that is too narrow but having one that is too wide can be counterproductive also. In a quilt (or bag), it is your body that creates the warmth and your quilts job to trap that warmth. If a quilt or bag is much too large it becomes less thermally efficient (your body has to try to heat all the extra dead space). You can solve this by tucking more quilt under your body but then what was the purpose of getting a quilt? The concept of a quilt in the first place was to eliminate unneeded bulk and weight of fabric and insulation underneath you body. That being said it's still much better to be a bit wider. Carrying a few extra ounces is much better than freezing your nuts off with a quilt that lets in drafts.

I'm also 230# and 6', I am an active side sleeper and I use a regular/wide (78" long/60" wide). That size has been the sweet spot for me but eve That is in our quilts also which have a cut that give a bit more room in the knees and waist but I wont do a sales pitch.

Brian
El Coyote Quilts

Do a sales pitch. I’m really interested in your quilts, comparing to Katabatic & EE.

Also in sizing, I’m 6’2” and your site seems to say regular not long, most of the other quilt/bag makers say long, and always used a long bag. So regular?

IMO wider is better. The weight penalty is minimal. Longer comes into play more with lower temps and lower temp rated quilts. I’m an active sleeper.

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using quilts for a few years now and have found that i like the wider quilts. It gives you more options if you move around i your sleep. I am 5'10 200 and sleep on my stomach with a 25 in wide pad. I use a long wide quilt so i can really tuck in if it is cold. The big thing with the quilt is the pad! The pad is everything and if your pad is not over rated for the temps you are in you will get cold. If you are wanting to try a quilt before you drop lots of money on a high end one i suggest looking at enlightened equipment quilts or buy a used one to try over the summer. If you want the most bang for your buck and are not as concerned with weight then get one with a zipper foot box so you can use it as a blanket in the summer and a bag in the winter. I use a 20º almost year round with an open foot box due to its versatility. Hit me up if you like and found this useful, if i can't answer your questions i can point you to someone that can.

BrianN

FNG
Do a sales pitch. I’m really interested in your quilts, comparing to Katabatic & EE.

Also in sizing, I’m 6’2” and your site seems to say regular not long, most of the other quilt/bag makers say long, and always used a long bag. So regular?
Sorry if I wasn't clear on sizing. I was saying that personally, I use a size regular for length and I'm about 5'11". Our regular measures 78" in length, measured the way I described…this is pretty close to par for the other companies you mentioned. I am a side sleeper and I sleep with slightly bent knees. Our sizing recommendations are given in a range because people sleep differently. If you look at our sizing guide you will see you are towards the top end of a regular or maybe a tall. Now if you always sleep in the fetal position or on your side with bent knees you might be able to get away with a regular. Stomach sleepers who sleep with pointed toes for example should always go longer. I would take the other advice that was given if you are on the fence and bump up a size if in doubt. Our size 'tall' measures 84" laid out flat before fill, once filled and with the footbox drawn closed it will lose some length but that is taken into consideration for our sizing guide chart and I think that would probably be a good fit for you.

Hope this helps.

Sorry if I highjacked this thread, Just trying to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll give a recommendation for El Coyote Quilts.
I placed an order for an El Coyote 40F Regular/Short (Habanero Exterior / Charcoal Interior-Liner) last Saturday evening and it was delivered the following Thursday afternoon.
With the extremely quick turn around time as this was a made to order purchase, I was impressed with the quality of construction, attention to detail, and overall design and feature set. In comparison to my Nunatak Sastrugi and Valandre Mirage it is at least equal in overall build quality with the stitch lines tight and perfectly straight and not a loose thread or miss stitch found.
I was tentative about taking a chance on a new cottage company with few reviews (though those were all positive) but after the outstanding customer service (noted in above thread) I couldn't be happier with the end product and look forward to using this as a part of my late spring to early fall fair to warm weather sleep system.
The El Coyote website is now live and in my opinion one of the better ones. Easy to navigate and compare ratings, fill amount, ect.... as well as descriptive information about the feature sets and philosophy/reasoning of their preference of untreated vs treated down.

Suggestion: take an old sheet and measure and cut the sheet to the quilt dimensions you’re considering. Lay on your pad and use the sheet as your quilt - this should give a pretty good indicator if the width will work.... and if in doubt size up.

Last edited: