Quilt Discussion

tthrasher

FNG
Im really liking this UGQ bandit quilt however a 7 to 9 week turnover time isnt ideal however for the custom products I understand. The price is in the ballpark of other nice brands. What are other options of lightweight, packable, cost effective down quilts that can be here in a reasonable time ?

mlgc20

WKR
I've had a Katabatic Gear quilt for several years and love it. Not cheap. But, very high quality. Depending on the down you choose, theirs can be available in a week or two.

Running the 10° enlightened equipment down. I like it but I would say 30° is more accurate. Not tough but good quality and great loft.

normad

FNG
I think there are several factors that influence quilt purchasing decisions: wait time, weight, price
build quality, reviews, etc. It can be a daunting task to decide which to purchase. We already know you are looking to get it fast, so that pretty much excludes most of the cottage manufacturers. In my opinion, Hammock Gear is the absolute best bang for your buck when it comes to ticking all the boxes: impeccable quality, lightweight, bomber construction, well designed, and the big one, affordable. I would check out their in-stock (ready to ship) section. It changes frequently, but they almost always have several to choose from, usually, most are from their econ line (more affordable but slightly higher weight). If you sign up for their mailing list, they often send out 20% off in stock quilt promo codes. Speaking from experience, I think their temperature ratings are far more accurate than most others. I think Enlightened Equipment's temperature ratings are overly optimistic.

Other options: used on eBay, Backpacking Light Forum (probably your best shot at a quick buy at a fair price, but costs $7 per year), this forum, Hammock Forums, Gear Trade, etc. Most big-name manufacturers have tried to step into the quilt space as well, so don't count them out, especially when looking for used gear. REI even makes a highly praised UL quilt.