Quilt for late season sheep hunts?

Elite

WKR
Hello so I have been tossing the idea of ditching my heavy older mummy bag due to the fact I am a side sleeper and toss around a lot and have never really gotten a good sleep with it. I am wondering if I should buy a quilt for summer and just keep using my bag for the late season. I have never been cold in it but I am concerned with a quilt I would be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll find a bunch of people who swear by quilts and some who just swear about quilts in cooler temps. Only way to know for yourself is to try.

I'd start with a cooler temp rating than you expect to use it in and go with a wide size based on what people who swear by quilts say..

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wide, or extra wide, rated lower than what you need, inside an extra wide bivy. That keeps your system together and eliminates drafts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
What brand and model of bag are you currently using? You may want to upgrade and try a wider sleeping bag? A good air mattress also makes a HUGE difference in how comfortable you are sleeping. I use a 0 degree bag 365 days a year when hunting Colo, Wyo, and Alaska. If I'm warm I just unzip the bag and have it open or even sleep on top of it. If I'm cold I wear more layers to bed. I've never tried a quilt because I'm so tired at the end of the day and am so comfortable with my sleeping bag/pad that I sleep like a baby!

Hello so I have been tossing the idea of ditching my heavy older mummy bag due to the fact I am a side sleeper and toss around a lot and have never really gotten a good sleep with it. I am wondering if I should buy a quilt for summer and just keep using my bag for the late season. I have never been cold in it but I am concerned with a quilt I would be

I am an experienced a Dall Sheep hunter myself and have hunted in both August and September in Alaska. I swapped to a down insulated Hammock Gear Econ Burrow 20 Wide quilt with a sewn footbox from a synthetic insulated Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Torch 0 mummy bag. I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs so I am about the maximum(perfect imo) size for those bags to give an idea on fit. I could not recommend enough to swap to a quilt. The weight savings is large, unless you are running something like a ghost whisperer already. I think for most sheep hunting, a 20 degree is plenty as long as you aren't skimping on clothes. I used to subscribe to the idea mentioned above about always running a 0 bag but it just isn't true when paired with dry clothes, even a 30 degree bag, and a 2.5 r value or above mattress. Unless you are hunting past late september 20 is plenty. Plus if you are rained in during the day it isn't blazing hot.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I am an experienced a Dall Sheep hunter myself and have hunted in both August and September in Alaska. I swapped to a down insulated Hammock Gear Econ Burrow 20 Wide quilt with a sewn footbox from a synthetic insulated Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Torch 0 mummy bag. I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs so I am about the maximum(perfect imo) size for those bags to give an idea on fit. I could not recommend enough to swap to a quilt. The weight savings is large, unless you are running something like a ghost whisperer already. I think for most sheep hunting, a 20 degree is plenty as long as you aren't skimping on clothes. I used to subscribe to the idea mentioned above about always running a 0 bag but it just isn't true when paired with dry clothes, even a 30 degree bag, and a 2.5 r value or above mattress. Unless you are hunting past late september 20 is plenty. Plus if you are rained in during the day it isn't blazing hot.

I will look into that quilt, Do you find it hard to stay on top of your pad with a quilt? At least with a bag of you slip off you are still contained in the bag

sneaky

"DADDY"
I will look into that quilt, Do you find it hard to stay on top of your pad with a quilt? At least with a bag of you slip off you are still contained in the bag

That's why you pair it with an UL bivy and everything is contained

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I personally did not have too many issues except when sleeping on exceptionally uneven ground. In fact, I stayed more glued to my neoair xlite because I wasn’t sleeping on nylon mattress to nylon bag shell, but nylon mattress to polyester clothes. I personally tried using the matress straps but didn’t like them and thus prefer to leave them out of my setup. I just clip the neck clip and tuck myself in then wear a buff and beanie to sleep to adress the missing hood. I would strongly recommend the sewn footbox and at least a wide width bag for ground use (or a double wide if you’re particularly big).

I also recommend that particular quilt because it is at this moment the best buy in all UL down quilts/bags, so the commitment is more forgiving. I have yet to try it with a 3/4 length pad though just beware.

I’ve paired the quilt with a OR Helium bivy, base layers, EE torid apex pants, a fleece, and a eddie bauer down jacket down to at least 15 degrees late Winter Sierra Nevada. I think once you make the swap it does become particularly important to keep one dry set of clothes to wear with it.

I personally feel you don’t have to pair it with a bivy unless you really need one. The bivy doesn’t help a quilt anymore than a sleeping bag imo. I used a bivy because we were winter camping and I wanted the bivouack option. I still always use a tarp until a bear takes it from me 😉