Quilt Layering

mww982

WKR
Going down the rabbit hole with my sleep system. Thinking about getting a EE Convert 30 degree as a hybrid quilt\sleeping bag (26.25 oz) and then adding a EE Enigma quilt 50 degree (12.3 oz) in addition for nights where it may be warmer or colder. System would be used for August-October if I go out western hunting and September to January if I end up finding a deer lease in Oklahoma and take my Kodiak Tent. For western hunting the two quilts together would almost be a pound lighter than my current sleeping bag.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've been thinking about doing the same with a couple 45' quilts.
It would knock some weight off for sure.

I have two EE convert quilts I do this with. Both are 30°, one is down and the other is synthetic. The down goes inside my synthetic. Been warm down to 4-5°. I also sleep on a cot, with a foam mat.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are on the right track. I carry a half bag with me at all times so I could spend the night out if I want to or need be. It's in place of puffy pants and when I combine it with my puffy, it's pretty darn warm. I keep my quilt at spike camp and I can use both if it gets really cold. My quilt weighs I think 27 ounces and half bag is 14 ounces. I also use the half bag for sitting and glassing......if I aint warm, I aint sitting.

Randy

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I have two EE convert quilts I do this with. Both are 30°, one is down and the other is synthetic. The down goes inside my synthetic. Been warm down to 4-5°. I also sleep on a cot, with a foam mat.
That's what I was planning on doing, the Covert being down filled and the Enigma be synthetic.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been doing it for several years. My synthetic is a MLD 48 Spirit- Apex insulated. It weighs 12 oz. I use in combination with either a 30 or 15 degree down bag (Feathered Friends).

I find the addition of the 50 degree quilt to give me a solid additional 15 degrees. It also helps mitigate moisture issues- with moisture moving from by body through the down bag and deposited on the Apex quilt which handles moisture much better than down.

I also had them add a "poncho" hole so I use it when it's really cold layered over all of my other clothing when glassing. It also gets packed on day trips as part of contingency for an unexpected night out.

I did try it (the 50 degree syn quilt) on it's own one night, got down to 30 degrees and froze my ass off! :D

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I've been doing it for several years. My synthetic is a MLD 48 Spirit- Apex insulated. It weighs 12 oz. I use in combination with either a 30 or 15 degree down bag (Feathered Friends).

I find the addition of the 50 degree quilt to give me a solid additional 15 degrees. It also helps mitigate moisture issues- with moisture moving from by body through the down bag and deposited on the Apex quilt which handles moisture much better than down.

I also had them add a "poncho" hole so I use it when it's really cold layered over all of my other clothing when glassing. It also gets packed on day trips as part of contingency for an unexpected night out.

I did try it (the 50 degree syn quilt) on it's own one night, got down to 30 degrees and froze my ass off! :D
Are you using the FF Flicker YF or UL? Standard width or wide?

When you use it in poncho mode, do you generally wear it over a puffy? I don’t see it being a replacement for a puffy unless it’s really just chilly, not cold.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you using the FF Flicker YF or UL? Standard width or wide?

Flicker UL regular, the 30 degree bag is standard fill the 20 has 3 oz of overfill and is closer to 10-15 degrees

When you use it in poncho mode, do you generally wear it over a puffy? I don’t see it being a replacement for a puffy unless it’s really just chilly, not cold.

no puffy goes over the rest of my clothing first; if it's really cold the quilt/poncho goes over the top of everything else

it's made the difference several times of being able to stay longer in a glassing spot vs abandoning it; it's also a nice extra layer to have if forced into a unexpected night out

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Flicker UL regular, the 30 degree bag is standard fill the 20 has 3 oz of overfill and is closer to 10-15 degrees
Sounds good, just ordered the FF Flicker UL 30 and EE Revelation Apex. Should drop a pound and a half from my current sleeping bag. Do you use a compression sack for packing or just the stuff sacks that they come with?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds good, just ordered the FF Flicker UL 30 and EE Revelation Apex. Should drop a pound and a half from my current sleeping bag. Do you use a compression sack for packing or just the stuff sacks that they come with?

I use a lightweight dry bag for my bags, clothing, basically anything I don't want to get wet. They are Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil dry bags- come in a variety of sizes and don't weigh much at all

Shraggs

WKR
You are on the right track. I carry a half bag with me at all times so I could spend the night out if I want to or need be. It's in place of puffy pants and when I combine it with my puffy, it's pretty darn warm. I keep my quilt at spike camp and I can use both if it gets really cold. My quilt weighs I think 27 ounces and half bag is 14 ounces. I also use the half bag for sitting and glassing......if I aint warm, I aint sitting.

Randy
What is a half bag?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ it's something mountaineers of old used (probably still use) for an emergency bivy on the side of a mountain- it's a down or synthetic bag that comes up above your waist (length varies) to be used in conjunction with the belay jacket (heavy puffy) they already have.

I think they called them elephant foot bags too.

mlgc20

WKR
Layer quilts definitely works and has its place. However, I strongly prefer just taking one quilt of appropriate rating. For example, a 30 degree quilt and a 40 degree quilt will get you down to about 10 degrees. But, it’s much heavier and bulkier than a comparable single 10 degree quilt. Probably at least 12 ounces more.

As already mentioned, if going with 2 quilts in cold weather, you want the outer to be synthetic. But, with one quilt, you can usually just go with down, further saving weight.

If you already have the quilts to layer and don’t want to spend the extra money for a dedicated cold weather quilt to save the money, that makes total sense. And I’ve done that in the past myself. But, if you want the best tool for the job, bring one quilt for the right temp IMO.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I have one similar from Nunatak- it's Apex insulated; uses Robic fabric which is very water and wind resistant and then pulls up like the Patagonia one over your puffy to further warm the upper half.

I don't think they are doing Apex at the moment, but they have several different configurations on their bivy/half bag setup

https://nunatakusa.com/content/30-akula-bivy-system

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I use a lightweight dry bag for my bags, clothing, basically anything I don't want to get wet. They are Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil dry bags- come in a variety of sizes and don't weigh much at all

Compression or non compression version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Compression or non compression version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got both. I prefer to use the non compressed ones as they are lighter, but sometimes I'm using a small pack and need it compressed to fit- this is usually just in the "summer" on fast/light trips. For hunting, my packs have enough volume I don't need to compress the bag.