Quilt Options

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I am strongly kicking around the quilt idea, the main problem is the lack of options I have come across thus far. Aside from golite or your own diy quilt, what brands do you have experience with or recommend?

sneek-ee

WKR
I would look at the kifaru Doobie option. Great for early season.
Plus you can take it and have it around camp or on the side of the hill, not only your sleep system for night.
It's not down, so you don't have to worry so much about it getting wet.

trk3263

WKR
What options or use are you looking for. Down or Synthetic and any other features.
I honestly don't have a lot of experience with them but have read a lot of info and reviews on them.
I recently got the Mountain Laurel Designs Spirit 28.
I haven't tested it outside yet but I like the design and features. I went this route because I decided synthetic was what I wanted to try so I can use it for glassing and around camp as a multi use item.
I will be comparing it to the Kifaru Woobie in the next few days and will try and post some pics.

I didn't know anyone that had a quilt or anywhere to put my hands on a quilt so I was skeptical like you for a while and even once I got it I was still a little unsure until I put it together with my air pad and it all seemed to click. Can't wait to use it and all the forums and reviews say once you get a quilt you won't want to go back to a mummy except maybe for a 4 season bag and even than using your quilt with a mummy bag is a recommended option for lower weight and moisture control.

You want one of the best quilts out there for a great price? Get a Revelation X quilt from Enlightened Equipment. Will not get better for the cost!!

Definitely check out the Kifaru woobie or doobie. The Kifaru quilts are tough as hell and you do not have to worry about tears or punctures as much. With that being said I do not have any experience with the with the other brands mentioned above. K brands have worked for me. JMO

OP
shootnrun

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
You want one of the best quilts out there for a great price? Get Revelation X quilt from Enlightened Equipment. Will not get better for the cost!!

This is about exactly what I am looking for! A 20* tall down quilt at 25oz for $225. I am liking the down over synthetic for the weight savings, and plan to leave the quilt in my bivy most of the time. I am open to other brands and ideas as well, but those enlightened equipment quilts look hard to beat!

unm1136

WKR
Jacks R Better has a wearable quilt. Expensive, Down. Compacts well. Warm. You can open a head hole and install a set of sleeves and or a hood. There is a video on the website about how to set up the footbox of the quilt, and I love it. It is dual purpose, you can wear it as a serape around camp, sleep in it, and wear it glassing. The down is troublesome if it gets wet, but care will fix it, and I found a way to dry a down quilt fairly quickly.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/sierra-sniveller/
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/high-sierra-sniveller/

pat

You can look at dozens of different brands. You will not find a quilt dollar for dollar better than the revalation X. Tim the owner uses the best quality materials you can get. They are extremely extremely well made with all the needed features. Whatever loft is stated he overstuffs it 20% more. If you still want more you can add extra down for only $5/ounce. The kifaru products are great but not true camping quilts. They are more like a blanket. They will not cut/made to wrap around you like a quilt. No footbox for cold nights. The woobie woul be a great choice for warmer weather which I plan on using this summer.

KWest141

FNG
Check out HammockGear.com as well. The 20 degree Burrow is probably gonna be my choice this year. My buddy has an underquilt from them and the quality is awesome. Good prices also.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Zpacks.com has some really light quilts with 900 fill down. They are the lightest quilts out there for the warmth. Nunatak has basically the same but about $75.00 more and they use 850 fill down.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
Zpacks.com has some really light quilts with 900 fill down. They are the lightest quilts out there for the warmth. Nunatak has basically the same but about $75.00 more and they use 850 fill down.

If you call and ask he'll upgrade to 950 fill

If you call and ask he'll upgrade to 950 fill

If someone tells you they can upgrade to 950 for a fee they are just taking your money. Complete BS. Any fill over 750 is considered top quality fill. Top of the line some say is 900 and that even left for debate. Many will tell you 900 is really just 850 which is as good as it gets.

shanevg

WKR
I second ZPacks. Don't have any of their gear myself yet but my buddy who does 5-10 day trips on PCT ultralight swears by them.

If someone tells you they can upgrade to 950 for a fee they are just taking your money. Complete BS. Any fill over 750 is considered top quality fill. Top of the line some say is 900 and that even left for debate. Many will tell you 900 is really just 850 which is as good as it gets.

Don't tell that to Montbell, they came out with a 1000 fill power down jacket. Crux has a 970 too. Patagonia is debuting their water repellant 1000 fill power down in a couple of days.

littlebuf

Banned
well my revx 20* will be here in 3 weeks. 6'6" long wide and still at the 25oz mark i wanted to stay under. plus i got to pick the colors