Quilt Q's

I only made the switch about a month ago but will share my experience so far. I decided to go with a 10 deg. EE enigma quilt and ditch my 3 lb WM bag. I was very concerned about staying warm enough and keeping drafts out as I’m a very cold sleeper. I decided to try the quilt out last week in the back yard when winds were steady at 5-10 mph and temps dropped to the low 20’s throughout the night. I am pleased to say the quilt kept me comfortable all night! I used the strapping system to make sure the quilt was tucked around me and even through some tossing and turning I couldn’t feel any drafts. I still need a few more nights before I’m 100% confident that I’ll stay warm through nasty and cold weather but so far so good!

The fact that I can toss and turn freely is a huge win as it never failed I would wake up at about 3am all knotted up in my mummy bag.

Hope this helps!
dddec209a69cb4285cba7dac20891ca7.jpg
65657e3a62f4c4d8411930f204646771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your neighbors must think you're a freak but I'm glad to read your post. I just sunk this years kit money into a new Enigma -17*C quilt. Weather I like it or not it's this years go to bag.

Rich_Senn

FNG
In the market for a new bag and have done far to much research..started looking at quilts and it seems this thread is 50/50 on preference. Don't want a mummy bag, but I'm nervous about the cold weather drafts.

For you guys getting drafts, is it mostly up around the neck and shoulders?

I'm not sure where you guys get drafts from. Maybe a narrow pad? Quilt not wide enough? Not strapped to the pad? Man, I went to an EE 10 degree quilt extra long and extra wide and haven't looked back. I've never had a problem with drafts and I toss and turn all night long.
What's the lowest temps you've used in?

In the market for a new bag and have done far to much research..started looking at quilts and it seems this thread is 50/50 on preference. Don't want a mummy bag, but I'm nervous about the cold weather drafts.

For you guys getting drafts, is it mostly up around the neck and shoulders?

My experience was you could get drafts anywhere there was an opening. Neck/shoulders were better than the back when fully cinched down though.

It is hard to explain with words - for me having a quilt sealed underneath you meant that where the quilt meets the pad had to have weight on it or if it didn't have weight on it you couldn't put any outward pressure on the quilt with body/arms that might cause the slightest movement where that quilt/pad seal was.