Quilt Q's

letrbuck

WKR
Who has switched from a bag to a quilt? Happy with the switch? The new Thermarest Vesper 20 has caught my eye... 19 oz and 900 fill nikwax hydrophobic down

Best decision I ever made. Lightened pack, reduced volume, and paired with a new pad best sleep I’ve ever had in the woods. Went with Katabatic sawatch 15 and neoair xtherm. Bit of an adjustment getting in and and with the attachment system. Just practiced a bit at home before actually using it outdoors.

Same here, made the switch two years ago and have never regretted my decision. My girlfriend and I use an Enlightened Equipment Accomplice 20* when we're together and I use an EE Revelation 10* when alone.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
I am ready to switch. I have used my current sleeping bag as a quilt the last two years, and it is awesome! I have yet to buy an actual quilt. Try your current bag as a quilt, and you will know pretty quickly if a quilt is for you. So much more comfortable! So less confining. I need to buy a damn quilt so I can save some weight and some cubes, but for now I continue to use mummy bag as a quilt......

Trial153

WKR
used one all last fall, I am pretty sure I am done with bags. For me the biggest benefit was that I am not all twisted up in a quilt. I can move around without drawing the quilt with me.

Steelhead

FNG
took the plunge after my 20 year old bag was too obviously not cutting it anymore. Went for the Katabatic Flex 15. I freaking love it. Super light for the warmth. First time out was last season, early rifle, temps only got well below freezing a few nights but it kept me super warm and they are way more comfortable than a mummy bag since I toss and turn all night. I'll never look back. I thought the attachment system would be uncomfortable but its not bad. ...it has also become the favorite "blanket" around the house now too, so I'll be getting another one before next season.

Mike 338

WKR
I slept in a hammock in the backyard the last few nights. A little wind, snow, sleet and rain. 25 to 35 degrees. Under quilt and top quilt worked great. I use a quilt with the closed foot box. I got a down hood too. Something on the nogg'in is imperative. You probably should get a quilt with plenty of fill. Some of these guys don't mind skimping and you can have voids.

I’ve got a 20 degree hammock gear quilt on order, should have it in the next few weeks. They’re 6-7 weeks backed up, so plan ahead if you order through them.

Ntgm37

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a EE 20* and a Kifaru Doobie this year with a Klymit pad and Canvas Cutter bivy. Temps were around 5* and I was toasty for sure. Just a long sleeved shirt and long johns on. Pretty solid setup!

TexasCub

WKR
I think quilts are the bomb for early season simply because of there light weight characteristics and ability to vent when it’s not cold but if you are the type that gets cold at all I’d really try one out in colder temps before I dove in head first. Keeping drafts out and not letting the cold in takes effort if your camping in sub 20 deg temps. I will run a quilt for Sept hunts but from mid oct on it will be a cold weather bag.

I think quilts are the bomb for early season simply because of there light weight characteristics and ability to vent when it’s not cold but if you are the type that gets cold at all I’d really try one out in colder temps before I dove in head first. Keeping drafts out and not letting the cold in takes effort if your camping in sub 20 deg temps. I will run a quilt for Sept hunts but from mid oct on it will be a cold weather bag.

This ^^^^

I had a EE 20° quilt that was great in warmer temps. But, when it got cold I spent a lot of time/energy keeping it tucked around me in order to keep out drafts. It was really frustrating to be hunting in the cold all day and then have to screw around with the quilt just to get warm. I would much rather take off my boots and crawl into the bag and be done. Based on that, Im going to take the 1lb weight penalty and go back to a bag this year; or, at least a hybrid bag of some sort.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
This ^^^^

I had a EE 20° quilt that was great in warmer temps. But, when it got cold I spent a lot of time/energy keeping it tucked around me in order to keep out drafts. It was really frustrating to be hunting in the cold all day and then have to screw around with the quilt just to get warm. I would much rather take off my boots and crawl into the bag and be done. Based on that, Im going to take the 1lb weight penalty and go back to a bag this year; or, at least a hybrid bag of some sort.

This has been my worry and stance that kept me from pulling the trigger on a cold weather quilt. I just can’t see the gain when i can’t see a way I wouldn’t be fighting the draft in cold windy temps. Summer, it would be nice

I only made the switch about a month ago but will share my experience so far. I decided to go with a 10 deg. EE enigma quilt and ditch my 3 lb WM bag. I was very concerned about staying warm enough and keeping drafts out as I’m a very cold sleeper. I decided to try the quilt out last week in the back yard when winds were steady at 5-10 mph and temps dropped to the low 20’s throughout the night. I am pleased to say the quilt kept me comfortable all night! I used the strapping system to make sure the quilt was tucked around me and even through some tossing and turning I couldn’t feel any drafts. I still need a few more nights before I’m 100% confident that I’ll stay warm through nasty and cold weather but so far so good!

The fact that I can toss and turn freely is a huge win as it never failed I would wake up at about 3am all knotted up in my mummy bag.

Hope this helps!
dddec209a69cb4285cba7dac20891ca7.jpg
65657e3a62f4c4d8411930f204646771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn’t get passed all the drafts with a quilt. Spent more time freezing and fiddling with it than I did sleeping. Went back to a bag and haven’t had a problem since. Quilt life just isn’t for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aion2come

WKR
I'm not sure where you guys get drafts from. Maybe a narrow pad? Quilt not wide enough? Not strapped to the pad? Man, I went to an EE 10 degree quilt extra long and extra wide and haven't looked back. I've never had a problem with drafts and I toss and turn all night long.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
If you use the straps that come with the quilt, you shouldn't have a problem with drafts.

Here's an example from a picture from Paria Outdoors

You can see the two buckles on the strap that snap to your quilt. The quilt wraps around you and the only part not covered would be those 6" between the buckles in the middle right down either side of your spine. All quilts use this or some variation of it (my UGQ uses small toggles).

Thermodown-15-Quilt-by-Paria-Outdoor-Products-Straps_grande.jpg

sChCWLgoRcuJ._UX300_TTW__.jpg

I had the strap thing figured out. For me, they took constant adjustment and I still would get drafts around the collar whenever I would move. Was too much trouble when it was 10-15deg at night.

TexasCub

WKR
I think it all depends on how much moving around you do through the night. I move around a lot switching from side to side that makes the quilt a pain in the ass , especially in 10 deg weather.