Quilt Temp Ratings

I have seen some talk about quilts not quite being true to temp ratings due to draft issues. I understand how and why temp ratings vary from brand to brand, but it would be helpful to have a quilt cheat sheet based off of real world experience.

For those of you running quilts, what’s the coldest you have comfortably used a quilt? What Make/model quilt did you use? What is it rated? What, if any, extra measures were you taking to stay comfortable?

Thanks in advance!

jolemons

WKR
You're going to get answers all over the place, just like if you asked the same question about a particular bag. I sleep cold and run my 20 EE down to about 32 or so, in base layers, before I need to add a synthetic quilt over top, add hot Nalgene bottle, etc

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So katabatic is in my opinion the closest to a real world comfort rating. My flex 22 is quite a bit warmer then my EE 20 was.
So you're going to halve to build yourself a spread sheet comparing weights and fill weights.
Because no manufacturer has any magic bean material that weighs 10oz less at same temp rating.
Almost every other manufacturer tou have to drop 10-20 degrees to get the same fill weight as katabatic.
And that was comparing whatever was the highest fill power treated down that the manufacturer offered.

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
I sleep cold and this year I used a hammock gear 0* with 2 oz. overstuff. It got down into the teens and I was really comfortable. I use the bungees that came with it to keep it tight on the sides and I had no draft problems.

North

FNG
I’ve used several mummy bags rated at 0 degrees and I don’t feel my EE Enigma 0 degree is any colder assuming you set it up right. That means using the elastic straps to seal out drafts, using an insulated pad, wearing proper clothing and using a down hood or stocking cap when needed. I’ve been winter camping since I was a kid and I’ve found the biggest game changer outside of running a stove is using a high quality insulated sleeping pad. I also like to use a silk sleeping bag liner. Someone saying they’re cold in their bag at X temperature is only part of the story, you really need to know their whole system for an accurate comparison. It’s never going to be cozy sleeping in sub 0 temps. In truly frigid weather I’ve run my -30 degree bag and cylinder stove and still been unable to sleep well due to being chilly.

mlgc20

WKR
I have a Ketabatic Palisade which is rated for 30 degrees. I have taken it down in the mid teens many times, with a good sleeping pad and never had a problem. I sleep pretty warm and that is in a tent with a fly. If I was under a tarp with wind blowing, I wouldn’t push it that far.

IMO, the important thing is making sure your quilt is wide enough. Especially if you are a side sleeper. Then the drafts shouldn’t be an issue.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
Drafts are more of a fit issue that a fill issue IMHO. If folks are catching drafts, they are probably using a quilt that is too narrow for ground use, and or not using the pad straps effectively.

I'm a big (chubby) dude who is also about 6'3" and I went with a UGQ quilt. Their Bandit XL can be had up to 65" wide so it easily drapes over me. Also they have options such as having a taper or no taper, again effecting coverage and drafts.

As for temp rating, that has to do with the fill power of the down and how much they use, and that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. I've found my UGQ to be pretty good on advertised temp vs actual, and have slept comfy in my 20* quilt in the mid 20's. Your milage may vary...

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Katabatic 22* flex quilt and I had them make it in a wide. I use the thermorest air mattess. I also have sea to summit thermolite liner. I will use that if it is going to be really cold. It will help you not notice any drafts too. Normally I sleep in my base layer and quite often my Kuiu super down ultra jacket. I like to have my arms going all over the place so it is nice to have a jacket on when it is cold. A hat that stays on at night is also a must if it gets a bit cooler

I've been down to the mid 20's on multiple nights with the quilt and no liner and I was fine. If I was going to do it again I would probably get a lower temp rating and contemplate a long (I'm 5'10") just to be able to cover up my head better if I wanted too. You can always open up the bag a bit if you are to hot.

I think their temp rating is pretty spot on. I could go much, much lower with a base layer and down. Probably comfortable into the single digits.

Just used a VIAM 10* quilt for the first time. Got down into low teens. It did way better than expected to be honest. Was layered up, but the only thing that got cold was my nose. Very impressed with it.

OP
I have a Katabatic 22* flex quilt and I had them make it in a wide. I use the thermorest air mattess. I also have sea to summit thermolite liner. I will use that if it is going to be really cold. It will help you not notice any drafts too. Normally I sleep in my base layer and quite often my Kuiu super down ultra jacket. I like to have my arms going all over the place so it is nice to have a jacket on when it is cold. A hat that stays on at night is also a must if it gets a bit cooler

I've been down to the mid 20's on multiple nights with the quilt and no liner and I was fine. If I was going to do it again I would probably get a lower temp rating and contemplate a long (I'm 5'10") just to be able to cover up my head better if I wanted too. You can always open up the bag a bit if you are to hot.

I think their temp rating is pretty spot on. I could go much, much lower with a base layer and down. Probably comfortable into the single digits.

lots raving about the Katabatic. Expensive, but they sound like they are worth it

Last edited:
I’ve been using an EE concert for the past couple of years. It’s a 30* quilt and I can sleep comfortably in it down to about 30. After that I’ll put on my puffy top, bottom and booties.

VernAK

WKR
You're going to get answers all over the place, just like if you asked the same question about a particular bag. I sleep cold and run my 20 EE down to about 32 or so, in base layers, before I need to add a synthetic quilt over top, add hot Nalgene bottle, etc

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Same quilt....same experience! If I were to order another, I'd have it over stuffed also. I do like the quilt for summer canoe and fish trips but if I wanted to go down to 20F, I'd order a O degree quilt.

Poser

WKR
20 degree EE quilt since 2015. Warm sleeper (will only sleep in socks if I absolutely have to). I’ve had it down to well below zero with and without a bivy sack. Noticeably more comfy in a bivy sack at those temps. I have found not to cinch the chest strap too tight when it cold else you will overcompress the down in the center when laying on your side.

After about a year of going back and forth on this I finally bit the bullet and bought my first quilt to try out this archery season. I came across so many posts where guys swore that quilts were so much colder than mummy bags that I was pretty hesitant. However, I've become quite the 'lightweight gear' junky, plus I'm a pretty warm sleeper so I decided to give it a shot.

I bought the Zpacks 30 degree quilt: narrow width, and long length (I'm 6ft, 190lbs). My goal was the lightest quilt possible for my ultralight archery bivy hunt system. I was really worried that I should have bought a wider quilt, but I was really surprised that when I used the straps it wasn't too narrow for me at all. I run a Thermarest X-Lite so the R value isn't very high to begin with.

After this archery season, all I can say is I will never use a mummy bag again! I spent a couple of nights in the high 20's, wearing just my light base layers, and I stayed comfortable the entire time. I'm sure I'd be fine if it dropped to 20 degrees as long as I put on my puffy and my hunting pants. At only 14.9 oz, and still staying warm, I'm officially a believer.

However, I realize that everyone sleeps very differently and my set up most certainly wouldn't work well for a cold sleeper. This is just my personal experience. Hope you find a system that works well for ya!

Ive used my EE 20 down to 15 without being cold in it. Draft issues come from not using it right.

Big guy. Side sleeper. A bit of a tosser and turner here. Quilts are great but you gotta have a system to keep them tight for really cold temps. A bit of extra width is helpful but a strap or sleeve or something to ward off drafts is very important at very low temps.

After trying out my EE convert, I found I still prefer a mummy bag for very cold camping (15* or below). My EE is great from 25-55*, especially mid 30s and above where drafts aren’t as much of an issue.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I run an EE Enigma 20 degree quilt and comfortably sleep down into the mid 40s. Low 40s and into the 30s I start to layer up (stocking cap, socks, kuiu superdown). Mid 20s is my limit before I get too uncomfortable to sleep. Also need a more insulated pad at that juncture. (Right now, I'm predominately using the Neoair uberlite which isn't warm at all)

I used a 10 degree EE Revelation during CO third season rifle last year. It got down to around 15 with snow.

I get cold somewhat easy. Manageable if you don't mind wearing multiple layers and throwing the rest of your clothes in with you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk