Quilt vs. mummy bag

For those that went from one to the other, bag to quilt or quilt to bag, what were your reasons and what are the pros and cons of each. I run a bag but am a side/front sleeper and am thinking a quilt may fit my sleep style a bit better. Ive also noticed apples to apples temp ratings show some weight savings with a quilt as well. What say you?

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm switching (for the warmer months at least) for the weight savings and ability to move around a little more. I'm also a side/belly sleeper and go from side to side while I sleep

sneaky

"DADDY"
The one thing that gets overlooked with quilts is the fact you HAVE to have a good pad. If you toss and turn a lot you have to work out your system for preventing drafts. I have a WM bag and an EE quilt. They both have their place. A compromise would be a good quality bag like a WM Terralite or Megalite that has room to move around and prevent drafts. Either way, the best bag or quilt will suffer without a good insulated pad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
My experience with BA pads is that they don't come anywhere near their R value ratings. My experience mirrors a lot of other people's experience with those pads. That and the slow leaks that turn into fast leaks. I like their Copper Spur series of tents, but their bags and pads haven't treated me well. Hopefully you got one of the good pads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've been looking into getting a quilt for summer scouting and early season archery hunts. I've been looking into the S2S Ether Light XT Insulated pad, love how thick it is and I am willing to pack a bigger pad if I'm going to be running a quilt. Can't decided on the quilt to run though, interested in the S2S Ember 20 degree but I have heard that they are not big enough? I like EE and I have heard good things about Outdoor Vitals and Kifaru's synthetic quilts, anyone have any experience with those?

Vandy321

WKR
Following this thread...

I'm doing research now too, being a side sleeper, I hate mummy bags, but have never slept on a quilt. Curious if a 10 degree quilt be enough in Nov with a shelter/stove combo...would prefer to not freeze when the stove is not burning. Probably only one way to find out for sure...

Have been watching more reciews/videos and not alot of negatives so far for a heavy weight quilt, especially at under 27oz for 10 degree EE revolution quilt. Wound be pairing it with an Exped 9 in Nov, and a lower rated pad for summer hiking.

Looking forward to reading others experiences with quilts.

Mike 338

WKR
I use a quilt in a hammock. I prefer the ones with the sewn in footbox. Haven't used one on the ground but so long as you keep your head well covered, they're great. If you get a down quilt, be sure it has plenty of fill as there can be voids in the baffles.

Nemo disco bag. I’m a side sleeper and it’s awesome.

I got the 15 degree bag and with the side zips you can sleep comfortably into much warmer temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with BA pads is very short because they never stay inflated.

Same. Had a BA q core and had to reinflate before the night everday during my week long trip and then twice in the middle of the night and was always cold. Switched to an x lite and was warm as could be in the same temps. Lucky I worked for a dealer and got free demos on their stuff at the time

okcaveman

FNG
I have a 20 degree EE quilt that I like, I'd say it's good down to around 25 or so. But I'm looking at switching back to a mummy bag for late season hunts.
My main reason for the quilt was for hammocking, but I've used it on the ground quite a bit. I just feel like a mummy bag would be better for keeping those pesky drafts out when its really cold

Gli_ryan

FNG
Quilt and cold temps aren’t enjoyable for me. I love cinching down the hood and staying warm. When I wear a beanie all night it makes my scalp sore. I have had good luck using BA bags and ok luck with their pads. I agree that the r value isn’t too accurate. But I really like having the pad pocket in the bags. I’ll keep using BA bags at the very least.

vanniek71

FNG
My issue with mummy bags that I’ve tried so far is that I have wide shoulders and never fit in the mummy bags :( Looking to try a quilt this year for a backpack hunt.

Quilt was too drafty for me. Moved into a Slick bag and haven’t looked back. Plenty of room in there and never feel cramped. Drafts are nonexistent. BA pad left me shivering for 4 days. Sold it and bought an Xtherm and haven’t been let down yet.

My issue with mummy bags that I’ve tried so far is that I have wide shoulders and never fit in the mummy bags :( Looking to try a quilt this year for a backpack hunt.

I’m in the same boat and I have found Nunatak makes a wide enough back that weighs just as much as a quilt

Or even the Montbell down hugger 800 or feathered friends UL wide flicker

vanniek71

FNG
I think I am going to try a UGQ Bandit XL. Have seen a lot of good reviews and they are based out of where I grew up. I just need to get a good insulating pad

Many threads on this topic. Quilts below freezing are a no thanks for me. More headache and effort to keep warm than any weight savings are worth. Others mileage may vary.