Quilt vs. mummy bag

Jrussell

FNG
I'm just like many here I guess. Been using a mummy bag but I am a side sleeper so I ordered a quilt. Got a good deal with the 15% off eBay coupon yesterday. Been doing a lot of reading and decided to give the quilt a chance.

Maverick940

Banned
I use my mummy bag as a quilt, a lot of the time. I just unzip it all the way and then drape it over me. Saves me the money for more important things.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
A quilt is a lot like a mummy bag except it has no zipper and no hood for the head. Usually the foot is boxed so your feet stay in it.

No doubt there will be many replies about how great a quilt is, but personally I see no real advantage for the small weight savings and an advantage to the mummy bag in that you can zip it up on cold nights.

A down quilt should be no harder to get into a compression sack then a mummy bag.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
For those that went from one to the other, bag to quilt or quilt to bag, what were your reasons and what are the pros and cons of each. I run a bag but am a side/front sleeper and am thinking a quilt may fit my sleep style a bit better. Ive also noticed apples to apples temp ratings show some weight savings with a quilt as well. What say you?

As a side sleeper, I find with a quilt that I am always hunting for my pillow during the night and tucking the quilt in tighter as I turn over. Also need to wear a beanie to keep head warm. Just picked up an Anvil Horn 15 BA bag (wide/long) that has their flex-sleeve system and I believe that will work very well. Plenty of room to turn over unlike a true mummy bag, has a pillow pocket and hood, and not worried about temp ratings as I also picked up a liner, which is recommended for bag or quilt. They also make the 'Park' series bags which have the sleeves and zippers on both sides so you can use it as a quilt. They are however a base-camp type setup due to weight and bulk - the Anvil Horn is packable (~3 lbs). Like others have noted, quilts are great for backpacking in warmer temps and ok in early season until the temps really drop. Need a really good insulated pad under quilt or BA system bag (no insulation on bottom).

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I bought a 10* EE quilt. I’m a bulky 5’10” 215lbs do I thought I’d get the wide. And WTH lets go long too. Thought this way I could pull over my head.
This thing feels HUGE in the tent! Honestly big enuf for me and my 11 yr old son to fit under.
I like it. Plenty warm. But wish I’d of saved a few oz and gotten a standard size.
Nemo tensor insulated pad is a great pairing.
...my $.02...

The new stone glacier is 64” wide on inside at shoulders which is as wide or wider then most extra wise mummy bags

I tried the REI magma that also has a 64 inch shoulder and it felt to tight for me, the Montbell says 57 inch but can expand up to 81 with the way the bag is made but I’m not sure how well that works, I personally am having trouble deciding between the Montbell Down Hugger 800, Nunatak UL Alpinist, and Feathered Friends UL Wide Flicker. Or open to anything else out there I’m not aware of but I’m pretty I’m looked at every single bag brand out there.

MtnMuley

WKR
For what it's worth, I was in the exact same boat a few years ago and went with the Montbell. Very happy with that decision.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
Think about how you sleep and if you can duplicate that in a mummy bag. I tend to sleep with one foot against the opposite knee (making a number 4) and I couldn't do that in a mummy bag. I finally bought a Sierra Designs Backcounrty Bed, but it was still too claustrophobic. I ended up canabalizing my down jacket (good excuse to buy a new one,) split open the bottom of my BCB and added a wedge from part of the jacket. Added a zipper and now it is perfect for me.

I said all that to say, you will have to find what is right for you, which may not be right for anyone else.

Any suggestions for a late season bag that packs down? I’ve got an early season bag for hot temps, but my late season bag (slumberjack) is the size of a 5 gallon bucket when packed it seems like. I’ve been searching for something that packs well for a while now, that’s what piqued my interest in quilts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo Equipment has "spoon" shaped sleeping bags (Disco, Forte, Riff) that are specifically designed for side/stomach sleepers by adding more room at the elbows and knees to spread out and give you more room. Ordered a Riff a couple weeks ago but haven't tried it out yet but seems to be good quality (in my living room anyway ha). They also have "gills" that zip open on top allowing heat to escape if you get too hot.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I heard there's some company out there that has taken lightweight down quilts and sewn a zipper along 3 sides, so you have the option to create sack you just slip yourself into, keeping most of the warm are trapped and prevent you feet and limbs from popping out from underneath the quilt.

Seems pretty cool, might try one out....

sneaky

"DADDY"
Any suggestions for a late season bag that packs down? I’ve got an early season bag for hot temps, but my late season bag (slumberjack) is the size of a 5 gallon bucket when packed it seems like. I’ve been searching for something that packs well for a while now, that’s what piqued my interest in quilts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any down bag will pack down much smaller than a comparable synthetic bag. My zero degree WM bag packs down pretty small, definitely smaller than what your SJK bag does sounds like lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I heard there's some company out there that has taken lightweight down quilts and sewn a zipper along 3 sides, so you have the option to create sack you just slip yourself into, keeping most of the warm are trapped and prevent you feet and limbs from popping out from underneath the quilt.

Seems pretty cool, might try one out....
Have you seen The One bag from The North Face? Pretty interesting concept as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Takeem406

WKR
I bought an Enlightened Equipment Enigma 30 degree down last season.
I'm in Montana and during bow season the temps can be all over the place. I packed in a liner though I didn't use it every night. Using a Thermarest Xtherm I was very comfortable down to 20 degrees.

I went with a quilt so save weight and pack space. The Enigma has the enclosed foot box.

I also bought a 10 degree Western Mountaineering bag and only used it one night while at the truck.

So I like both. I love being snuggled in tight but going from an old synthetic bag to this awesome down quilt was a huge game changer for me!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
I switched to a quilt 2 years ago. I’m a side/stomach sleeper which is why I went with the switch. All positive and negative points everyone made are legit. Here’s how I have made it comfortable all around for me. First I got a quality pad(in my opinion) in a thermarest inflatable that is the wider model. Then I made my own quilt customized to the dimensions I wanted to have the room inside I need to toss and turn a little. It is rated to 10 degrees. Then I designed the strapping to hold quilt in a position to eliminate drafts. System dialed!!! Here’s where the reality hits. In sub 30 degree weather it WILL get COLD!! So early season warmer weather, never a problem. Getting into that colder shit can be a challenge to stay warm and comfortable. I found that when in my teepee,with my pack stove obviously helps a lot, the key for me was the Sitka puffy pants!! I put those on last year in the teepee with my puffy jacket and a beanie and was super warm and comfy in 20 degree nights. Love the space I have in my quilt because I’m a side and stomach sleeper, and solved the cold issues by using those puffy pants. Just an option,but a good one. Those puffy pants were a life changer while glassing all trip as well. I will pack them every time I’m heading into the hills in cold weather.