Quilt

Bbrinks

FNG
I’m a big fan of hammock gear’s quilts for the $.

OP
E
I’m a big fan of hammock gear’s quilts for the $.

Man for 160$ I don't think you can beat it at that price. Going to give it a try.

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Enlightened Equipment - their Apex line is great

Wanna up vote this suggestion. Their weight is higher vs straight down, BUT it’s a hybrid system of Synthetic and down similar in concept to Sitka. For the price... you can’t buy the material from Ripstop and make it any cheaper.

Wanna up vote the suggestion from Upchurch_k for the Outdoor Vitals quilt. Their weight is higher vs straight down, BUT it’s a hybrid system of Synthetic and down similar in concept to Sitka. For the price... you can’t buy the material from Ripstop and make it any cheaper.

Trial153

WKR
Wanna up vote the suggestion from Upchurch_k for the Outdoor Vitals quilt. Their weight is higher vs straight down, BUT it’s a hybrid system of Synthetic and down similar in concept to Sitka. For the price... you can’t buy the material from Ripstop and make it any cheaper.

What other down quilts have you used and how do they compare?

Hey Trail,
I haven’t purchased the Outdoor Vitals quilt yet, it’s on my Christmas list for 2019.
I have a couple of friends with the Outdoor Vitals mummies and they are completely happy with price and performance.
After seeing some of the MYOG/DIY projects from Rokslide, I jumped right in and made my first quilt by altering a couple of the Costco down blankets. Look up some of the threads from here or some of the Ultralight hikers for the PCT and Appalachian trail for more info. Costco Quilts work well for late Spring-later Summer here in WY, but that’s no guarantee. We get snow somewhere in the state every month if the year.
Last year, I layered 2 quilts and modified another one to be strictly down bottoms (similar to Kuius down bottoms). I stayed warm until we dropped below 30. The weight for both quilts and bottoms is just shy of 3 lbs (48 oz)
So that system was not my permanent solution. I currently upgraded to a Montbell Down Hugger/Mummy that is amazing, light weight 24 oz, and cost me about 1/3 as much as a Kuiu down mummy. My limitation with that is that down sucks when it gets wet. The idea has been successfully addressed with a hybrid like Sitka uses. On paper Outdoor Vitals has the closed sleep system to Sitka's idea.
Again, for the price of material and time, I can’t make a quilt that’s even close to the performance and price of Outdoor Vitals. Most other people who aren’t doing MYOG as a hobby or who’ve been doing i

Sorry the last part got cut off...
Most other people who aren’t doing MYOG as a hobby or a job should find similar results.

Skull10

WKR
I used a Kifaru 20 degree slick bag at this time. Great sleeping bag, but probably overkill for September archery season. The worst part is that it is over 3lbs and it only compresses down so much. The bag gets stuffed into a Sea to Summit Event stuff sack and it is huge. 20" tall and 10" diameter. That takes up way to much room in a 3500 bag.

I am a new to quilts, but want something around 30 degrees and compresses to half the size of the slick bag. I was looking at websites and the sizes throw me off. Should I get Reg, tall, wide? I'm 5'10" and 185lbs?

I’m the same size you are. I use an EE Convert in reg at 30*. So far it’s been the best sleep system I’ve used.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I used a Kifaru 20 degree slick bag at this time. Great sleeping bag, but probably overkill for September archery season. The worst part is that it is over 3lbs and it only compresses down so much. The bag gets stuffed into a Sea to Summit Event stuff sack and it is huge. 20" tall and 10" diameter. That takes up way to much room in a 3500 bag.

I am a new to quilts, but want something around 30 degrees and compresses to half the size of the slick bag. I was looking at websites and the sizes throw me off. Should I get Reg, tall, wide? I'm 5'10" and 185lbs?

Extra long, extra wide no matter your size.

I have been around a lot of people that are new to quilts. 100% that didn’t like them, did not follow the above. Of those that initially disliked quilts, 100% that tried an Xtra wide, Xtra long loved them.

Boardmstr

FNG
Hey Trail,
I haven’t purchased the Outdoor Vitals quilt yet, it’s on my Christmas list for 2019.
I have a couple of friends with the Outdoor Vitals mummies and they are completely happy with price and performance.
After seeing some of the MYOG/DIY projects from Rokslide, I jumped right in and made my first quilt by altering a couple of the Costco down blankets. Look up some of the threads from here or some of the Ultralight hikers for the PCT and Appalachian trail for more info. Costco Quilts work well for late Spring-later Summer here in WY, but that’s no guarantee. We get snow somewhere in the state every month if the year.
Last year, I layered 2 quilts and modified another one to be strictly down bottoms (similar to Kuius down bottoms). I stayed warm until we dropped below 30. The weight for both quilts and bottoms is just shy of 3 lbs (48 oz)
So that system was not my permanent solution. I currently upgraded to a Montbell Down Hugger/Mummy that is amazing, light weight 24 oz, and cost me about 1/3 as much as a Kuiu down mummy. My limitation with that is that down sucks when it gets wet. The idea has been successfully addressed with a hybrid like Sitka uses. On paper Outdoor Vitals has the closed sleep system to Sitka's idea.
Again, for the price of material and time, I can’t make a quilt that’s even close to the performance and price of Outdoor Vitals. Most other people who aren’t doing MYOG as a hobby or who’ve been doing i
Not a quilt but I also love my Montbell down hugger bag. I got mine before quilts became popular and it’s help up great.

azn9879

FNG
Hammock gear economy burrow or massdrop enlightened equipment quilt. My dad has the HG and I have the EE. I honestly like his a little more but they are both fantastic quilts for the money.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk