Quilts For Cold Weather?

KLWild

FNG
I want to invest in a quilt system, but am questioning their ability in cold weather. I was wondering if somebody can speak on behalf of quilts in cold weather situations and what their setup is. I am wondering if the extra costs associated with draft collars, extra fill, 950 fill vs. 800 fill, ect... is worth the investment and added weight/ volume. I imagine they are relatively versatile in the sense that I can get a bag for cold weather but also enjoy it for a night on the river in the summer. I guess I really just want to start a conversation about quilts because I am fed up with mummy bags, and want to know the do's and dont's and what you wish you had gotten or could have done without.

mlgc20

WKR
Here's my $.02.

• Quilts are fine in the cold. Infinitely more comfortable than a mummy bag.
  • Draft collars are unnecessary. Although they don't hurt anything.
  • You can certainly effectively layer quilts as Justin mentions. Personally, I prefer to have a few different quilts depending on the conditions. I have a crazy light minimalist 30 degree quilt that I cna use down to about 30. A beefier 30 degree quilt that I can use to about 15 degrees and a 0 degree quilt I use <15.
  • I think it's worth the weight/bulk savings to go with the 950 fill. YMMV depending on budget and how much time you spend backpacking.
  • As with a mummy bag, picking the right sleeping pad is key. If you can only have 1 pad, I'd go with an Xtherm. But like with my quilts, I prefer to have a few options based on the possible conditions.
  • Pay attention to the way your quilt attaches to the pad. And practice at home. This is really important when it gets cold, since its your defense against drafts. My Katabatic quilt has my favorite pad attachment system. My UGC and EE quilts have basically the same system. They work fine though.

I'd never go back to a mummy bag.

OP
KLWild

KLWild

FNG
Here's my $.02.

• Quilts are fine in the cold. Infinitely more comfortable than a mummy bag.
  • Draft collars are unnecessary. Although they don't hurt anything.
  • You can certainly effectively layer quilts as Justin mentions. Personally, I prefer to have a few different quilts depending on the conditions. I have a crazy light minimalist 30 degree quilt that I cna use down to about 30. A beefier 30 degree quilt that I can use to about 15 degrees and a 0 degree quilt I use <15.
  • I think it's worth the weight/bulk savings to go with the 950 fill. YMMV depending on budget and how much time you spend backpacking.
  • As with a mummy bag, picking the right sleeping pad is key. If you can only have 1 pad, I'd go with an Xtherm. But like with my quilts, I prefer to have a few options based on the possible conditions.
  • Pay attention to the way your quilt attaches to the pad. And practice at home. This is really important when it gets cold, since its your defense against drafts. My Katabatic quilt has my favorite pad attachment system. My UGC and EE quilts have basically the same system. They work fine though.

I'd never go back to a mummy bag.
I want to go overkill with the rating, but my wallet says otherwise. I appreciate your feedback, I’m thinking of maybe supplementing a lighter quilt with the puffy/ puffys I carry anyways. Just planning on a serious trip this year and don’t want to be miserable as I usually am in a mummy bag. How tough is the Xtherm, and do you carry a ground mat for it? I’ve read good reviews, but a buddy of mine says he’s gone through a few of them.

WRM

WKR
You gotta have the right pad to make it work (or any system really). I do mountain mat mine (or whatever SO calls that mat now). Tiny cactus are hell on any of them.

I have two quilts. An EE down quilt, 20 degree I think. And a synthetic MLD of 32 rating. Easy to stay warm into single digits and below by layering them. Even more important, you are moving your condensation point from inside your down quilt to your synthetic. Voila--no more frozen down quilt.

I'd personally not carry all that extra wasted insulation for a mummy bag. But, to each his own.

sargent

WKR
I have a VIAM 0 degree synthetic quilt that I've slept in down to the negative single digits. It's not quite as light as some of the more expensive options, but it does the trick for me. I use a 1/8" foam pad under a neoair x lite and wear most of my clothes when it gets really cold.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A good pad is critical.

I have tried a lot of quilts and hands-down prefer Katabatic over everything else. That's especially true when it comes to cold weather performance. Their conservative temp ratings, pad attachment system (locks away drafts) and draft collar are great. I have used my 22* Katabatic well below that rating.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used a quilt last night, I have used them on and off for 10 -15 years, and slept in below 0 with a quilt, or with some sort of quilt combo. I also have used a lot of different sleeping bags and mummy bags.

I think a draft collar is worthwhile for a quilt or mummy bag , keeps the temp more consistent through out , other wise you shoulder can be cold, feet hot etc

I dont have any hate for a well done mummy bag , I am fed up with poorly executed bags that dont have smooth zippers, or dont breath well , or are too small. A well done bag (Western Mountaineering) , is what I use more often than anything and many times opened up like a quilt.

Personally, I think with quilts, you can get below 0 with them , but most people are happiest to go to a nice bag somewhere around freezing.

Gone4Days

WKR
I want to go overkill with the rating, but my wallet says otherwise. I appreciate your feedback, I’m thinking of maybe supplementing a lighter quilt with the puffy/ puffys I carry anyways. Just planning on a serious trip this year and don’t want to be miserable as I usually am in a mummy bag. How tough is the Xtherm, and do you carry a ground mat for it? I’ve read good reviews, but a buddy of mine says he’s gone through a few of them.
They are damn tough

Quilts require a little thought and technique to do right. My little foray into quilt land told me that I prefer quilts / blankets down to about 30* and a mummy when it is really cold. To each their own.

FWIW I wonder if anyone ever built a quit that had an uninsulated bottom with a poket to hold a sleeping pad. Seems like that would be he best of all worlds for saving weight and limiting drafts.

mlgc20

WKR
The Xtherms and the whole Neoair line are plenty durable IMO. Lots of folks have taken them on triple crown thru hikes. There are occasional issues. But, considering the number of people that use them, I’d say they have a very solid track record. I also have a Neoair Uberlite that I use during summer trips. It’s significantly more delicate than the Xtherm. And I’ve still had no issues with it.

I don’t use a ground cloth. But, I do take some extra time to make sure to clear off my sleeping area of sticks/thorns/rocks etc. A piece of Tyvek can be a little insurance if you’d like some extra protection.

This is very important advice. I was about to ditch my quilt because I wasn’t staying warm and was constantly battling drafts when I moved while sleeping until I realized I wasn’t using the tool right. You need two pad straps for a quilt and watch some YouTube videos on how to use them. Once you use it right, it is just as warm as a bag.

Pay attention to the way your quilt attaches to the pad. And practice at home. This is really important when it gets cold, since its your defense against drafts. My Katabatic quilt has my favorite pad attachment system. My UGC and EE quilts have basically the same system. They work fine though.

I bought two quilts for last season. Loved the summer setup. 30 degree EE down. Was comfortable everywhere. Hammock and tent. However, in the winter I did not like the 0 degree EE down. I’m a pretty active sleeper and, in a cimmaron (floorless tent), with the quilt straps attached and collar buttoned I could not avoid drafts and getting cold. Maybe people that don’t move much when they sleep have better luck with them when it’s really cold. And this was 20 degree weather, with an xtherm pad and wearing multiple layers. Had to put my puffy on and still got cold.

No biggie, just going back to a traditional 0 degree. Gotta find one that’s not a mummy though. Again, the moving around thing. Wish BA sold that sidewinder in a 0

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples weight wise too. Savings may not be as big as you think.

for example a 6’6“ wide version of the katabatic sawatch 15* is 31oz and $500. A 15* WM badger is 8 oz and $125 more Ad you ca open it up to blanket mode.

I rolled with a bag on my last Montana trip and my buddy did a Quilt. he saved weight but froze a couple nights where temps were still 5-10* above his quilt rating.

OP
KLWild

KLWild

FNG
I have a VIAM 0 degree synthetic quilt that I've slept in down to the negative single digits. It's not quite as light as some of the more expensive options, but it does the trick for me. I use a 1/8" foam pad under a neoair x lite and wear most of my clothes when it gets really cold.
I like the price point of these seeming how I want to test them out to start. Do they pack down pretty well? Looks like you can spread them out like a blanket too for warmer weather.

OP
KLWild

KLWild

FNG
I bought two quilts for last season. Loved the summer setup. 30 degree EE down. Was comfortable everywhere. Hammock and tent. However, in the winter I did not like the 0 degree EE down. I’m a pretty active sleeper and, in a cimmaron (floorless tent), with the quilt straps attached and collar buttoned I could not avoid drafts and getting cold. Maybe people that don’t move much when they sleep have better luck with them when it’s really cold. And this was 20 degree weather, with an xtherm pad and wearing multiple layers. Had to put my puffy on and still got cold.

No biggie, just going back to a traditional 0 degree. Gotta find one that’s not a mummy though. Again, the moving around thing. Wish BA sold that sidewinder in a 0
This is what I’m afraid of, will be in a floor less shelter later in the year.

sargent

WKR
Do they pack down pretty well? Looks like you can spread them out like a blanket too for warmer weather.
They pack pretty small, especially in the provided compression sack, but not as small as down. My zero degree in the sack is around 11" long and maybe 7-8" diameter. You can open them all the way.