Quilts. Good, bad, and which one

Northpark

WKR
So I’m in the market for a quilt I think. I’ve been using a cabelas instinct 0 degree bag for a number of years and it does well but ive been wanting to cut some weight but stay in the 0-10 degree range. Been looking at an outdoor vitals 0 degree storm loft ($264)or a zenbivy 10 degree w/sheet ($349).

First I’ve never used a quilt so for those that have what are some pros and cons. Second does anyone have any experience with either of the two I listed of have suggestions on others I should look at.

Thanks all

Drenalin

WKR
I use an Enlightened Equipment Enigma.

Three replies so far and three different recommendations. Truth is, any of the manufacturers mentioned as well as several others make great quality quilts. Feathered Friends, Underground Quilt Company, ZPacks, Cedar Ridge Outdoors, and El Coyote have all been getting good reviews, in addition to the ones mentioned in this thread.

The biggest pros for me are weight and comfort; a quilt just isn't nearly as restrictive to me as a bag. I use a wide quilt because I'm fat, but also because I want enough material on the sides that I don't end up with gaps/drafts. I'd recommend getting a longer quilt than you think you need if you're going to be using it in cold temps. I've only used my Enigma - rated at 20 degrees - down into the 20s, and haven't been cold in it yet. Your choice of sleeping pad is every bit as important as your choice of quilt.

I haven't experienced any cons with mine. Lots of guys like quilts in warmer temps but go back to bags in cold temps. Drafts can be a problem, but are manageable. Most manufacturers either include or sell as an accessory a set of straps to attach your quilt to your pad.

mlgc20

WKR
I agree with everything Drenalin wrote. The quilt is so much more comfortable than a sleeping bag. I really regret not switching sooner. As an active sleeper, the quilt is fantastic. I have a Katabatic Palisade 30 degree. But, I've taken it down into the low teens while wearing my puffy. Get a quilt longer than you think you need and make sure the quilt has a good pad attachment system.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Hammock gear Econ 0* with 2 ounce of overstuff. The wide option came in at 32 ounces I believe. I am pairing with a Borah bivy and SkyAir ultra light tarp this year.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Have a friend with a zenbivy and he has a year of use on it and LOVES it. Everything from spring bear to late season elk and everything in between. Freedom of movement like a quilt, but it stays on the pad and when it’s all clipped into place no drafts. It’ll be my next sleep system based on his positive feedback after a year afield.

BrianN

FNG
Since you are new to quilts, it is important to note that when you are looking at widths it is VERY important to look at actual spec measurements. Many companies will throw around words like "wide" but it will be up to you to figure out if that is true. Drafts are the achilles heel for quilts and even with the best pad attachment system if your quilt is too narrow you will have problems. Some quilt makers will make quilts in the 54"-56" range and call it a "wide" and this is not the case. As the owner of one of the companies mentioned, I can tell you this is done as a convenience for the builder because of the width that the raw fabric comes in and frustrating for builders who make a true wide. If you look closely, you will notice that some companies "wide" are another's "regular" so when comparing things like weight and price it is important to not just compare a "wide" to a "wide" or a "regular" to a "regular" as one companies may be 5+ inches larger in the same "size". Hope this helps

You need to compare fill weights with ratings.
Imo Enlightened highly inflates there temp ratings and you need to order the next coldest quilt.
I had a spreadsheet with I decided to go katabatic on the 2nd go round.
But for instance it you compared say a 20 degree rated quilt Enlightened would always have say 4oz less fill. Well it can't be just as warm with less fill and I think they do this to advertise a low weight.
I ended up going katabatic because I believe that pertex is a superior fabric.
That being said I have a katabatic flex 22 for sale.
I'm just not a quilt guy, bottom line is at the end of hunting hard every day im just to lazy to use the straps. Plane and simple I just want to flop down and sleep.

D S 319

WKR
Used my 10 degree UGQ quilt last night in the backyard at -33 windchill in the 8 man tipi with stove and stayed plenty warm. Really no complaints with it.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
Thanks for all the replies guys. Might need to make a spreadsheet to compare specs from all companies.

zacattack

WKR
Used my 10 degree UGQ quilt last night in the backyard at -33 windchill in the 8 man tipi with stove and stayed plenty warm. Really no complaints with it.
Man I’ve had a UGQ bandit in a cart so many times. But I just am not sure I want to commit to using a quilt. I still like the simplicity of just jumping in a sleeping bag at the end of the day. Is setting up all the straps and everything a big deal?

The 20* el coyote I recently got is impressively well stitched and the little details like the snaps and straps are well thought out.
The width is definitely there as well.
Also packs down so much smaller than my old bag.
Really looking forward to putting it to use.

D S 319

WKR
Man I’ve had a UGQ bandit in a cart so many times. But I just am not sure I want to commit to using a quilt. I still like the simplicity of just jumping in a sleeping bag at the end of the day. Is setting up all the straps and everything a big deal?
I didn’t think it was all that bad. First time using it and didn’t struggle to get it all setup just slid the strap under the pad. I’d recommend buying the spare one As well. No draft until I tried sleeping on my side. Hardest part was getting the neck collar snapped.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely compare widths between companies as they do vary. Many years ago I tried out quilts and went with a regular width per company recommendation which was 52". I'm on the small and vertically challenged side (5'4" and between 145lbs-150lbs) and went back to bags as that quilt was difficult to keep out drafts....it was a bad experience that could have been prevented.
Fast forward and after realizing I was using my bag roughly as a quilt decided to research and try again.
I researched Nunatak, Katabatic, Enlightened Equipment to name a few and wound up going with El Coyote as it seemed to have a great feature set, was more than adequately filled, and their regular at 56" is wider than many other companies regulars (Katabatic is 52" and Enlightened Equipment is 54")....plus El Coyote is very comparably priced with minimal wait time from order to door.
After receiving it in less than a week from purchase (even with it made to order) I couldn't be happier with the over all quality of construction, attention to detail, and customer service Brian at El Coyote provided, as my numerous questions I'm sure felt endless.
The pad attachment system is as good as any and very easy to use, the zippered footbox is longer than others at 24" which allows to close it up more thoroughly in the legs if wanted....plus with the width it is easy to keep tucked preventing any drafts.
Additionally, for side sleepers vertical baffles in the torso and hip region keep the down in place as horizontal baffles, especially without overfill, can have down migration causing cold spots.

Last edited:

xcutter

WKR
Cedar Ridge Outdoors Le Conte Quilt. I bought a quilt for the first time last year. I'm a belly sleeper and pretty active at night flipping and flopping around. The quilt feels more like sleeping at home to me as the quilt wraps around you like a blanket and I can sleep on my belly or side with no issues/restrictions. I would highly recommend getting the straps to attach the quilt to your sleeping pad. These help keep the quilt tucked up under you to keep out drafts.

I was highly skeptical when I purchased this quilt and received it. I thought to myself I'll freeze to death as it does not weigh hardly anything. I was wrong. If anything I was throwing a leg out or my arms trying to cool off at times sleeping in the upper 20's. My quilt is the 10 degree model. My sleeping pad is a Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe. To stay good and warm with a quilt it requires an insulated pad.

Like others have said give them a call and they will answer any questions.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
So after digging around on the internet last night (after doing my Utah apps) and making a spreadsheet I’m thinking I’m going to give Cedar Ridge Outdoors a call and look at their Regular/wide since I’m only like 5’9” and 170lbs but have wide shoulders. The regular/wide is 56”x76”. According to their website weight for a 0 degree rated is 26oz which compared to my bag seems crazy lightweight.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
On a different note I’m sure it matters which quilt but how compact to quilts really compress in a pack?

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend when you call to ask them how many ounces of down fill is used in their 0F Regular/Wide Quilt as it will give another important piece of information to compare with other companies. At initial glance on their website I didn't find, or at least see, it.

A like/same temperature quilt will compress more than a traditional sleeping bag.....but it seems Cedar Ridge uses 850FP down so their quilts will probably not compress as small as those that use 900+FP (Katabatic, EE, El Coyote, Feathered Friends, Nunatak)

Last edited: