Quilts. Good, bad, and which one

On a different note I’m sure it matters which quilt but how compact to quilts really compress in a pack?
20210210_074542.jpg
El coyote 20* wide. It will literally disappear in the bottom of your pack.
(Not sure how to get a photo of that)

Good luck in the UT draw, you close to a tag anywhere?

Lando

WKR
When it comes to quilts, always get them a bit wider and longer than you think you need. Length helps because you can put your footbox over the bottom of your pad on cold nights to eliminate drafts and width gives you more room to toss and turn and eliminate drafts.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
wish I'd chosen the Katabatic.
Have Enlightened and ok with it in early season. Ordered wide, long with heavier outer/inner materials.
I believe their temp ratings are not accurate. I used with Xtherm R/6.9 pad, with Thinlight Gossamer 1/8" pad underneath and Tyvek as ground cloth under Gossamer light pad.

bottom line, had customer service problem due to their quality error....Enlightened let me down.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I use an Enlightened Equipment Enigma.

Three replies so far and three different recommendations. Truth is, any of the manufacturers mentioned as well as several others make great quality quilts. Feathered Friends, Underground Quilt Company, ZPacks, Cedar Ridge Outdoors, and El Coyote have all been getting good reviews, in addition to the ones mentioned in this thread.

The biggest pros for me are weight and comfort; a quilt just isn't nearly as restrictive to me as a bag. I use a wide quilt because I'm fat, but also because I want enough material on the sides that I don't end up with gaps/drafts. I'd recommend getting a longer quilt than you think you need if you're going to be using it in cold temps. I've only used my Enigma - rated at 20 degrees - down into the 20s, and haven't been cold in it yet. Your choice of sleeping pad is every bit as important as your choice of quilt.

I haven't experienced any cons with mine. Lots of guys like quilts in warmer temps but go back to bags in cold temps. Drafts can be a problem, but are manageable. Most manufacturers either include or sell as an accessory a set of straps to attach your quilt to your pad.
My biggest issue with drafts on my Enigma was not adjusting correctly. After some trial and error I have zero drafts. Also having an insulated pad with a decent R-rating helped me.

I’m not absolutely sold on quilts yet but I only have 25-30 nights in one, and realistically only half were sub freezing. I’ve also always worn my insulating layer regardless of bag type, but I sleep pretty cold.

What are y’all using for your head?

This is a nice option if you need a little extra coverage for your face. It weighs exactly 2 oz. and fits all the way down to your shoulders.
43797f82cb00d660801019c696762260.jpg

c1a25983c3752f2a2a24be1b0ae788e4.jpg

a5b47d81ad7b6c89b2917f0d85479487.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
What's the opinion on a 55" wide quilt? Trying to decide between a 55" UGG Bandit with no taper versus a 60" Bandit XL with taper. I'm mostly a stomach sleeper.

D S 319

WKR
What's the opinion on a 55" wide quilt? Trying to decide between a 55" UGG Bandit with no taper versus a 60" Bandit XL with taper. I'm mostly a stomach sleeper.
I got a 55” tapered think my next one will be a 60”. Works perfect for sleeping on my back but on my side might be a little drafty until I figure it out completely. Also it packs down nicely. I’m about 6’2 215.

zacattack

WKR
What temp are y’all getting? I’m looking at either a 0 or 10 degree ugq bandit 60” wide. Think I’ll stick with ugq because they are only about 30 miles from my house.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with the folks at EE before I ordered my quilt. I told them the coldest I usually see camping is 25 degrees. They recommended a 10 degree and that is what I have. So far I have taken it down to 34. It is supposed to get cold here this week so I plan on trying it outside in the yard in the low 20s.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
When quilts are used for cold weather, say 20F and below, I personally believe the width of the quilt is much more important as drafts will be felt more so than in warmer weather......and warmth and comfort take priority with the weight savings over a traditional mummy bag merely a benefit.

One thing I haven't been able to find out about quilts in general is how loud the material is and you can't find these in person to compare. My oldest son has a Teton Sports bag with a Taffeta shell and it drives me nuts swishing all night while my youngest also uses a Teton bag but with a 75D Diamond Ripstop shell and it's dead silent.

From a few different brands mentioned in this thread, which material would be quietest?
El Coyote AlphaLite- 15D Micro Ripstop Nylon
Zenbivy - 20d Nylon Taffeta
Feathered Friends Flicker - Pertex® Endurance® UL
UGQ Bandit - M10T/MRS10/MRS20
Katabatic - Pertex Quantum Y Fuse Eco Ripstop
Cedar Ridge LeConte - Argon 90 (15D)
Nunatak - 10D/15D Ripstop
Bottle of bourbon so the shell sound doesn't matter

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you've never used a quilt and you're looking at a quilt to get you to 0 degrees, I'd look for a light sleeping bag

regardless of what folks say, there is a learning curve to using quilts and they are not for everyone- especially at 0 degrees, a slight draft at 0 is significantly different than a slight draft at 30 degrees

I still own and use quilts, but I no longer own a 0 degree quilt, I do now own a 0 degree bag and have much happier at 0

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I don't believe any of the above fabrics would keep you up at night.....but with that said my El Coyote 15D is a bit softer to hand than my Nunatak with 10D though neither would be heard by me at night :)

mlgc20

WKR
What are y’all using for your head?
I do the same thing I did when I used a sleeping bag, since I never had much luck with the hoods. I wear a light fleece beanie. And if it's going to get down in the teens, I will add a wool buff around my neck and bring up to cover part of my face if I get cold throughout the night.