Quitting Alcohol

JakeSCH

WKR
The mindset is this: you have to be a non-drinker. NOT someone who is quitting drinking or just doesn't want one when offered. Being in the middle of quitting something means you still do it, just less often.

When someone asks if you want a drink, the answer is "I don't drink" not "No." Big mental difference.

+1

Occasionally I cycle through drinking more than I should. To break the cycle It comes down to identity, "who am I?". "I am not a drinker"..."I don't drink"..."it is not who I am"

Also, don't keep it in the house no matter how good of intentions you have.

grfox92

WKR
I quit drinking in my early 20s. I just stopped enjoying it. Hated the hang over, if I slowed down or tried to stop drinking at a wedding or event I would become exhausted and want to go to bed. Ruined several concerts and weddings for me.

If I need to catch a buzz I use the grown out of the ground green variety. I know there are many on here who for some reason think weed is the devil, even though alcohol kills 100k people a year in the US alone and debilitates hundreds of thousands of not millions more, But at least you aren't poisoning your system for a "buzz".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In 2014 we were shopping for a fishing trip to Montana, while we were in the store my wife and friend were stocking up on adult beverages, they asked what I was getting and I said nothing. Prior to that I was a moderate to heavy drinker but at that moment I decided I'm done. Have not had a drop since that day in the market. That was after forty five years of drinking, the last five or so heavy.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I'd like to hear an update once in a while to see what you've decided to do and how you intend to do it. Successes and failures. I hope you find peace.
I appreciate it. I'm on rokslide almost daily, so you'll for sure be hearing/reading from me.

As of ten days ago I quit cold turkey.
Dwelling on mistakes I've made that I likely wouldn't have if I wasn't drinking has been a driving force.
This last one really woke me up, and I'm bummed about it. I want to be the best version of me, and that version isn't drinking.

I have a solo antelope hunt I leave for next week, so I'll have a solid break from the "real world" for a while.
Will give me time to really focus and reflect during the down time.

kickemall

WKR
"Dwelling on mistakes I've made that I likely wouldn't have if I wasn't drinking has been a driving force."

Yup, this was me when I quit drinking 16 years ago. Had one fun night of really stupid shit and the next day I decided I was done and haven't had a drink since. I got almost zero support, including from my wife and friends who all drink. Its one of the best, and toughest decisions I've ever made. I still miss a cold beer or a glass of wine with a steak to this day. I'm a lot more boring but I can drive my wife and drunken friends (lots of fun there) and make good decisions when I would have made bad. I don't miss hangovers one bit and I still look back and cringe at some of the stuff I did when I was drinking. I still have the same friends and now they're all good with it. I guarantee that I'm a better person for it. At some point I ran across the meme below and saved it as well as printed it then tucked it away to take a look at once in a while. So hear it from me first -
Bro, I think your a ******* rock star!

1627257713337.png

Fatcamp

WKR
It is no exaggeration to say that all I have is based upon the decision to leave addictive substances behind many years ago. My closest friend's from my early life are in prison or/and suffering from massive health problems. Very sad, but that difficult decision to leave them behind literally changed my life for the better. Much better.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Man , I’m floating down that same river , I’m having some medical issues with my blood pressure and indegestion, I’ve always been a social drinker and I can throw back the silver bullets , I just had a little boy and started a supervisor position, I think it’s time to clear my mind and attempt to quit , more power to you , I’m with u man

OXN939

WKR
Feels like it's just self sabotaging life at this point.

No doubt about that- alcohol is the worst. What other substance makes you feel like you have a severe flu for an entire day afterwards? Truly pretty gross. There's almost not a limit to the positives from quitting. Your testosterone levels will increase, you'll sleep better, lose weight, have better mental acuity and have more energy.

Saw one of my buddies a few months ago who did a nasty pump in the Middle East and came back with a drinking problem. Was super proud of him when he said he didn't drink anymore. I suspect almost everyone who cares about you at all will see it that way.

Will_m

WKR
I think they gave proven a beer can have a hydrating effect, It’s been proven a glass of red wine can help with heart disease. There are a few other benefits but it’s not worth arguing.
While I don’t necessarily agree with those statements, let’s assume they are true. The water in beer is hydrating and the restrovol (spelling?) from grapes helps with heart disease. To be clear, neither of these are alcohol and both exist independently of alcohol. Again, alcohol, in and of itself, has no health benefits.

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
This November 1st will be two years. I just decided one day that I have drank enough in my life and decided to quit. Never had another thought about it. Quit chewing tobacco in the 90's the same way. I have noticed a big difference in my health. I eat less, weigh less and feel a lot better. One good side effect is I have a ton of extra money to spend on hunting and fishing every year. If you want to quit I hope it works out for you. It is definitely worth it in my opinion and I had a hell of a lot of fun during my 40 year drinking career.

fatlander

WKR
I kicked snuff quite a few years back and the difference between the time I quit and all the times I failed was simple; I stopped “wanting to quit” or “needing to quit.” I just quit.

I’ve gone on many month long spirts of no booze and I think it’s the hardest drug to say no to based off peer pressure alone. Booze is the only drug that people act like there’s something wrong with you for turning it down. Best of luck to you.

If you’ve got a real problem with the sauce, I wish you all the best. That’s not an easy row to how, but one that will be worth it many times over in the long run. If you truly have a dependence, you should consult professional help. Quitting cold turkey, without weaning yourself off, can have serious health side effects if you’re truly dependent on the booze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
While I don’t necessarily agree with those statements, let’s assume they are true. The water in beer is hydrating and the restrovol (spelling?) from grapes helps with heart disease. To be clear, neither of these are alcohol and both exist independently of alcohol. Again, alcohol, in and of itself, has no health benefits.
This statement is false.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve been on a sober journey since January. Just finished a weekend of social events where drinking is a primary activity without a drink. I used to rarely drink, then life happened and I used it as a coping mechanism. Decided I didn’t want to be who I was and stopped drinking. The east way to control alcohol by Alan carr is a great resource.

As far as side effects, I’m in way better shape physically. I was as fit at the end of March this year as I was going into September last year. My mentality is far more healthy and positive, and if you have faith it has also helped my faith walk tremendously. I haven’t had a perfect sober journey as I’ve had a beer or two a few times and got drunk twice in that span. But I’m on 29 days without a drink and the last two times I drank the next few days were spent with me analyzing my behavior and thought process around the decisions to drink those times. A lot was peer pressure and being uncomfortable in situations without beer.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I quit about 8 months ago. I was a high functioning alcoholic for years and thought things were fine. High blood pressure and some issues with my heart gave me a bit of a wake up. I’m down in weight, feeling great, I sleep 8 wonderful hours a night with no issues or trouble sleeping. My blood pressure is normal and I only have to see my heart doc once a year now. Not only did I stop drinking but I really made an effort to eat as healthy as I can. Cut out 90% of the sugar I was eating, most of gluten and many of the carbs. My diet is a lot of veggies, game meat, and fruits and nuts. I have a piece of dark chocolate every night.
Addiction is rough, I’ve dealt with it in several different forms my entire life and have been able to kick them so far. Having someone to talk to about it really helps. Either a therapist or a 12 step group. Having people you are accountable to helps.
For the guys that have quit, if you still enjoy the taste of a good IPA, I found this NA craft beer called Athletic Brewing. They make an IPA that actually tastes like a real beer . Every so often, I’ll pop one of those and kick back with sone of my friends, and not feel awkward for not drinking