Quitting Alcohol

Addiction is rough, I’ve dealt with it in several different forms my entire life and have been able to kick them so far. Having someone to talk to about it really helps. Either a therapist or a 12 step group. Having people you are accountable to helps.
For the guys that have quit, if you still enjoy the taste of a good IPA, I found this NA craft beer called Athletic Brewing. They make an IPA that actually tastes like a real beer . Every so often, I’ll pop one of those and kick back with sone of my friends, and not feel awkward for not drinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Athletic Brewing is excellent. I’ve had a much better experience trying all they have to offer than others like Bravus and Wellbeing. That said, N/As aren’t for everyone, they can be a slippery slope. It’s worked well for me for 6+ years, but you have to know your own trigger tolerance.

I couldn’t agree more about having someone to talk to about it. I can say for certain I wouldn’t be where I am without seeing a counselor that first year.

Best of luck to the OP, and everyone else with similar struggles.

Zappaman

WKR
Thank you for all the replies, guys! I really appreciate it.
Your stories are inspiring.
Do what you WILL, harm none, and understand excess (of anything) is the downfall of humanity (and your person). This goes beyond personal consumption of what we "put" in our bodies and includes our "minds".

Like WHEN hunting... if your listening to everything around you and taking it at the right pace-- you WILL know when you are going too far, too fast, too loud... and this is the "moment" a sentient person WILL slow down (or stop) and reflect on how you feel-- if you are not happy, or can't function with a CLEAR INTENT... stop MAKING yourself unhappy and see the REAL problem (which often isn't a substance or liquid).

This forum is about hunting and I find that when I am (really) hunting... I AM hunting and I do not have time (or room in my pack/head) for excesses that will slow me (or bring me) down. That said a couple of shots of good scotch and a small amount of THC have been the "gold standard" for the end of each day when in the woods for a week out on an deer or elk hunt. I certainly also enjoy the time by the fire with a lot of scotch/beer/cigars after it's all done and the meat is hung.

For me it's leaving the celebration for the end... that's what a celebration is for- right? ... after I have finished the hunt and gave it my best, clear, and (hopefully) successful effort. And maybe if I didn't give it my best... it's TIME to change my ways.

To each their own here- what works for YOU is what works (* and nobody has a right or wrong way... but I applaud ALL those here who... however they find their happiness... find it and share it here). So "bravo!" for the many here who are willing to share their unique experiences and heart felt hope for you (*on a hunting forum-- wow!)

Just remember it's up to you (and ONLY you) to not ever give up and FIND IT while remembering we ALL need help sometimes and remember to be mindful to those who WILL help you get to where you want to be. Remember... they MAY not be who you might expect- they may even be a child ;)

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
So "bravo!" for the many here who are willing to share their unique experiences and heart felt hope for you (*on a hunting forum-- wow!)
I was honestly reluctant to post this on here, but I have seen a lot of guys over the years on here talk about being sober for a longtime in random threads. Or in other threads of needing/wanting to quit.
I genuinely wanted to hear how they did it.

The reaction and posts on this thread turned into something way more amazing than I initially expected.

Rokslide is an amazing community, I'm glad to be part of it.

Sitting here drinking my seltzer now. Decided last week to stop having alcohol during the week (may extend through the weekend, but at this point i dont see having some drinks around the campfire as an issue for me). Been a habit for so long i cant count the years. No joy in it really just a terribly wasteful and unhealthy habit.
Turning the page on this one, Im too old and too tired for this destructive nonsense. Hoping to regain some semblace of a sleep cycle. That alone would be worth it.
Best of luck to all.

TA34

FNG
As many above have stated, I noticed the biggest difference in my sleep. I sleep better and tend to wake up fewer times throughout the night. I also notice if I do have a few drinks my resting heart rate is elevated.

ChrisAU

WKR
After a couple years of successfully dialing back to weekend only drinking 6 weeks ago our fertility doc said to stop completely to increase our chances. Its been super hard, I really enjoy the relaxation of a drink. I had it dialed back to 5-10 beers during the day (rarely got to the high end), with a night cap on Friday and/or Saturday with a mixed bourbon drink or two while watching a hunting show or something. Sometimes special occasions led to adding a weekday that looked like that. It is by far the primary way I deal with stress. I essentially don't have any family outside of my wife, and while I have a ton of great friends, a lot of what me and my friends do (especially this time of year) involves drinking. Pool, lake, golf, etc.

By farrr the hardest part for me has been fighting the thought that I'm not being allowed to do what I want to do. That at 33 years old and completely independent that I can't get up on Saturday morning and look forward to a beer on the golf course or at the pool with buddies. Physically, I haven't lost any weight and I don't notice any sleep differences. Just been in a bad mood on the weekends once I start getting pissed off that I just can't reach into the cooler while me and a buddy discuss the upcoming football and hunting season ha. So, I guess I wasn't too bad to begin with.

However - my birthday is this Thursday, and...the wife is going to the doc today to validate a flurry of positive tests this weekend after two years of trying. We've had a couple of mishaps in that time frame, so prayers would be appreciated.

Lord willing I'll be having a couple celebratory beers Friday night at dinner and thanking him for getting me through the last 6 weeks, and fingers crossed, so much better for it.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have a friend who is a alcoholic and it's making it hard to remain his friend. When he's not drinking he never has so much as one drink but, when he hits it, it will be 5-10 days of hardcore straight tequila, not a pretty sight. He will go for several weeks not drinking and then something, nobody knows what sets him off. I really don't know how he keeps his job. He has had three DUI's, the next one, and there will be a next one is going to land him behind bars. Everyone , his wife, son, other family members and various friends have told him to get help but he refuses. We have made plans together weeks or days in advance only to have him hit the bottle and be a no show. I told him his medical insurance will more than likely pay for him to get the treatment he needs but he said those programs don't work, my response to that is, how do you know, you have never tried it. I have known two people who have died from heavy drinking, he may be the third. Very sad.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
However - my birthday is this Thursday, and...the wife is going to the doc today to validate a flurry of positive tests this weekend after two years of trying. We've had a couple of mishaps in that time frame, so prayers would be appreciated.

Lord willing I'll be having a couple celebratory beers Friday night at dinner and thanking him for getting me through the last 6 weeks, and fingers crossed, so much better for it.
Happy early birthday, buddy.
I really hope you guys get to hear some positive news!

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I really don't know how he keeps his job. He has had three DUI's, the next one, and there will be a next one is going to land him behind bars. Everyone , his wife, son, other family members and various friends have told him to get help but he refuses. We have made plans together weeks or days in advance only to have him hit the bottle and be a no show.
This is really unfortunate. I also know far too many people like this.
I know some that have been to treatment multiple times, and immediately go back down the rabbit hole.
I keep thinking on a lot of the previous posts about having to actually want to stop to stop.
The guys I know who always repeat the cycle and do insane stuff don't ever seem to actually want to stop. Even after they do stuff that would ruin my head with regret.

I quit dipping cold turkey years ago, and it was just a "I'm done chewing tobacco."
Sure I was a grumpy asshole for a couple weeks, but I stopped outright.

Alcohol is definitely a different beast on an addictive mind, but having the realization of "I'm done, I don't do that anymore" this time. Has been sinking it a lot.
It's a pretty freeing feeling.

wesfromky

WKR
For those that are not psyched on AA, there are other programs out that work for sure. One of the more interesting ones is using psychedelics.

For more on that, and more on how our minds work and how we can change how the work, this is a long, but pretty interesting read.

ODB

WKR
As many above have stated, I noticed the biggest difference in my sleep. I sleep better and tend to wake up fewer times throughout the night. I also notice if I do have a few drinks my resting heart rate is elevated.

exactly. Not sure how old you are but the elevated heart rate is something I noticed as I got older - 49 now. Its like my body had to kick into high gear to metabolize the alcohol or whatever. Hated that feeling - almost like nervousness. It’s the same with food now too for me. We try to eat dinner no later than 6. Sleep much, much better.

Laramie

WKR
exactly. Not sure how old you are but the elevated heart rate is something I noticed as I got older - 49 now. Its like my body had to kick into high gear to metabolize the alcohol or whatever. Hated that feeling - almost like nervousness. It’s the same with food now too for me. We try to eat dinner no later than 6. Sleep much, much better.
I never really noticed the elevated heart rate until about 40 years old. I now wear a watch that shows my heart rate 24/7. When I drink, my heart rate increases significantly. My normal resting is around 68. While drinking, it holds in the upper 80s to low 90s while resting. I am an off and on drinker. I'll go several months with nothing but around holidays and over the summer, I drink socially.

ODB

WKR
I never really noticed the elevated heart rate until about 40 years old. I now wear a watch that shows my heart rate 24/7. When I drink, my heart rate increases significantly. My normal resting is around 68. While drinking, it holds in the upper 80s to low 90s while resting. I am an off and on drinker. I'll go several months with nothing but around holidays and over the summer, I drink socially.
Yup. That’s about when I noticed it. May have been happening all along but it’s just when I paid attention to it. When I was in my late 30s I had an isolated episode of A-Fib and it made me hyper-aware of my heart rate. Probably had something to do with me noticing it ;-)

I was a alcoholic for the better part of 10 years, drug abuser for 15 years and pill addict for 3 years. I have 3 duis and a drug charge. Spent 4 months in jail. Drove drunk more times that I can fathom or remember. I blew through enough money over the course of 18 years that I could’ve bought and completely paid for a house. I’ve been sober for almost 6 years, I have a fiancée, a house, a budding career at a company I always wanted to work for and I’m chasing all my dreams. The physical and mental aspects of being clean and sober are definitely unimaginable. Alcohol and drugs will borrow your happiness from the future until there’s no happiness left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been there myself its a long and lonely road!!! its still a battle some days less than others.

TA34

FNG
I'm 40, and have been noticing it for the last few years. I usually have a resting heart rate around 57, but just a few beers will bring it up to around 70, and if I have too much whiskey it's even worse. I too drink socially, and sometimes with customers it's get on the excessive side.