Quitting Alcohol

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I can usually abstain for a while, but I know if I start I go hard and cant stop.
This is how I am.
My off switch might function for a while, but eventually I would go back down the rabbit hole.

I'm glad this thread is still getting read. It helped me a lot in a dark spot.

I hit 3 months on Friday. Pros of not drinking for sure outweigh the cons.
I was the only one that wasn't hungover opening day of rifle elk on Saturday.
Thought it would be a challenge to not want to drink, but it really didn't cause me to crave anything.

I started doing alcohol free beers with a koozie in situations like that. Then I feel like I'm not missing out on anything.

3 months of no drunken calls, dumb shit I can't remember, hangovers, or ruined relationships has been pretty nice.

Hopefully the best of life is yet to come.

ODB

WKR
This is how I am.
My off switch might function for a while, but eventually I would go back down the rabbit hole.

Thought it would be a challenge to not want to drink, but it really didn't cause me to crave anything.

I started doing alcohol free beers with a koozie in situations like that. Then I feel like I'm not missing out on anything.

3 months of no drunken calls, dumb shit I can't remember, hangovers, or ruined relationships has been pretty nice.

That’s great man. Keep it up and the best will indeed come!

This is how I am.

I've gone to the near beers in a koozie for social stuff too. I'm not "off of alcohol", but I refuse to drink and drive, and still like hanging out with folks. I also found that I was overdoing it with booze on camping trips with family and friends. Not because of any craziness, but hangovers. I quit bringing liquor, and alternate beers with waters. Two or three beers in a night camping and I feel fresh as a daisy in the morning vs how the booze had me feeling.

Hang in there and thanks for bringing up a sensitive topic for some.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I've gone to the near beers in a koozie for social stuff too. I'm not "off of alcohol", but I refuse to drink and drive, and still like hanging out with folks. I also found that I was overdoing it with booze on camping trips with family and friends. Not because of any craziness, but hangovers. I quit bringing liquor, and alternate beers with waters. Two or three beers in a night camping and I feel fresh as a daisy in the morning vs how the booze had me feeling.

Hang in there and thanks for bringing up a sensitive topic for some.
I drink Bush NA, it's OK but when I want the good NA it runs $12 a six pack. Weihenstephaner. I have a picture of the bottle on my phone because I can never say it right. :)

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
This is the best one I've had so far.
PXL_20210909_040621890.jpg
The Gruuvi stouts and IPA are pretty good too.

Heineken 0 is the best non craft one I've tried.

schmalzy

WKR
Athletic Brewing has some excellent ones. I found out about them on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
The singer has been sober for a long time. A lot of his lyrics are about getting sober.
Used to listen to a ton of it doing the opposite though LOL

interesting. Didn’t know that.

I did know Zakk Wylde from Black Label Society/ Ozzy damn near died from a clot they said was due to too much booze. He’s sober as well and has turned to drinking coffee over booze.

can take its toll on anyone.

steve1VM

FNG
When I've been quitting alcohol few months ago, it was pretty hard, and well, the best choice for me was - alcohol free cider. It's way better than non alcoholic beer, in my humble opinion. One of my favorites is SHEPPY’S LOW ALCOHOL CLASSIC cider, because of it's specific taste and unique flavor. Did you try it?

Last edited:

eamyrick

WKR
This is how I am.

Congrats on the 3 months. I just turned 36 and have been sober 7 1/2 years. You hit the nail on the head regarding “off switch.” I stopped drinking several times (heavy heavy drinker from 14-28) but would always come back just as hard and destructive. One of the most amazing things is being able to see the trajectory change from when I stopped. I won’t list out all the positive things going on in my life to avoid coming across braggadocious but being sober (and God) has set me up for opportunities that would have never happened in my previous life. Keep it up.

Hey man, glad to hear you’re still going strong. I’ve never drank alcohol in my life. 35 years old, college, 10 years (and counting) active duty Infantry. I only mention all that because if there are any demographics that are heavy drinkers, it’s college kids and the infantry. People sometimes look at me funny when I first tell them I don’t drink, but it’s never stopped me from socializing, and 99.99% of people drinking literally don’t give a crap if you are or not. Babysitting drunk dudes sucks, but I’ve also kept a lot of my friends out of trouble and honestly, alive, by being sober. Being dependable is a HUGE thing for me, and it feels good knowing that any of my friends/soldiers could call me at literally any time and I would be able to help them at a moment’s notice. Good luck with your journey!

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
This is how I am.

For what it’s worth, October 21st was my 6 year. It was the first year that the day came and went by without me remembering to acknowledge it in my head and to my fiancée. I remembered almost a week later. My point being that sobriety has become my way of life now, it’s who I am and what I’m about. I don’t need to remember to count the years. I hope you get there too. It’s a great feeling and one I’ve worked hard to get too.

Yoder

WKR
I've quit drinking three times now. Once for my ex wife, once for my current wife and the last time for myself. The hardest thing for me to realize was I had a problem with alcohol. I would drink about 3-6 beers every night. Special occasions more. I never missed work and I only drank to get a decent buzz. My current wife got me to try AA for a while. I didn't fit their definition of an alcoholic. I never drank until I blacked out and I never agreed that having a problem with alcohol was a disease. Cancer is a disease.

One thing that really helped me from AA is if you drink today, there's always tomorrow to try quit again. That and never think of how impossible it is to quit. Just think of not drinking today.

I haven't had a drink in over 7 years now. I miss it sometimes but I don't miss hangovers, feeling run down and saying stupid things I would regret the next day. Usually if your wife starts telling you drink too much you might want to objectively look at yourself. Both of mine were right.

260madman

WKR
I posted a while back about a family member. He went to rehab and left the program early. He lied and schemed the whole time he was there but His wife went and picked him up. He started drinking again after less than a week and his wife was making excuses for him. Did this for a few weeks and went back to detox and skipped out on that after his psychotic episodes and ended up in ICU. Once again he’s not doing it for the right reason but just saying the right things. He’ll crash again at Christmas because he’s not getting his way on how to celebrate this year. Would help if he treated his mental illnesses but evidently that’s not important either.

schmalzy

WKR
Hey man, glad to hear you’re still going strong. I’ve never drank alcohol in my life. 35 years old, college, 10 years (and counting) active duty Infantry. I only mention all that because if there are any demographics that are heavy drinkers, it’s college kids and the infantry. People sometimes look at me funny when I first tell them I don’t drink, but it’s never stopped me from socializing, and 99.99% of people drinking literally don’t give a crap if you are or not. Babysitting drunk dudes sucks, but I’ve also kept a lot of my friends out of trouble and honestly, alive, by being sober. Being dependable is a HUGE thing for me, and it feels good knowing that any of my friends/soldiers could call me at literally any time and I would be able to help them at a moment’s notice. Good luck with your journey!

Impressive. Way to go. Spot on regarding demographics and heavy drinking.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
Wow, thank you guys. I really appreciate reading everyone's stories, and input.

I've hit a point where I don't see alcohol as a helpful thing. The thought of it mostly reminds me of bad times.

Been a tough, but good journey so far.

This thread really was/is a saving grace for me. It's helped a lot.

I had an old couple pull up when I was glassing some elk off a road trying out swaros.
The lady told me that her husband quit drinking for her years ago. I was in a pretty shitty mindset, and needed to have that conversation with them. I let them use my digiscope attachment to take photos of the elk.

As I left she told me "Remember, the best is yet to come."

A lot of these stories renew that message for me.

@eamyrick your story actually was one I saw on a holiday post a long time that inspired me to do this one. Thank you, buddy.