Quitting Alcohol

Jauwater

WKR
I drank almost a 6 pack of hard cider everyday from the time I was 27ish till I was 36. At 36 I started on the Whiskey daily. Caught covid just after I turned 37. Was sick for about 3 days. I dunno what happen, but it totally curved my appetite to drink. Since May of last year (when I had covid) I've drank maybe two bottles of Jack. Never thought I had a problem. Never thought about quitting. I literally just got sick, and now I have absolutely no care whether I have a drink or not. I still think the way it all came about for me was odd.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Sherman

WKR
Now this thread is a few months old.... how’s it going? How are you doing?

I’m pulling for you, bud.

Button

WKR
I’ve drastically cut alcohol consumption. I’ve had 2 or 3 nights in the past month that I’ve had drinks. The other night I drank, it did nothing good for me. I’m sure I’ll end up having a drink here and there on a special occasion but getting drunk does not appeal to me. I was never much of a drinker up until two years ago and fell into it. I’m thankful for having an eye opening experience that prompted me to go back to my old way of seldom drinking and if I do drink it’s in moderation. As it’s been said multiple times in this thread you’ll feel better physically, mental clarity increases, decreased chances of long term health effects, more $ in your pocket.

If ‘you drink too much’ thought crosses your mind it’s because you are. Listen to it, it might be difficult but it’s worth it. That doesn’t mean you can’t ever have a drop of alcohol again but be mindful of it.

Good vibes to all that are struggling with an addiction of any kind. You can beat it.

I don’t know how I missed this entire thread till today. I’m in the same boat as ZAP, ones to many a thousand is never enough. I have zero confusion today, if I decide to use it’ll take me to the same place it always has, jails institutions and death and I’ve visited all 3. I’ve been with my wife for 9 years and we have two kids and they have never seen me use. I couldn’t imagine picking up today knowing how many people rely on me and where that decision brings me every time.

When I’m in social settings and someone asks if I want a drink I say no thanks not tonight, all the times I’ve said no I don’t drink people seem like they deserve an explanation. If I say no thanks and they pry I say I’m allergic, every time I drink I break out in handcuffs and that usually shuts them up. I feel perfectly comfortable being at a wedding or something with people drinking I don’t feel awkward like I need social lubrication to carry on a conversation, but I can count on one hand how many times in the last couple years I’ve been in such a setting. My brother got married a few years ago and all the groomsmen were together before and one of my friends said we’re getting you drunk tonight and I said how much do you guys have in your checking account and he said there’s no way your drinking that much and I said no but I’ll need it for bail money. I just kinda have fun with it what else can you do.

I’ve had a few friends seriously ask why I don’t drink or anything anymore and I explain and most are super supportive, I don’t like telling anyone unless I’m asked, it’s no ones business I don’t run around telling everyone like I deserve a Pat on the ass, there’s a difference between asking for help and seeking validation. Some friends have reached out saying they want to cut back they have been drinking a few to many during the week like they want my advise and I honestly can’t relate, if I could manage life drinking a few beers a night I’d probably be doing it but when I make that decision to pick up anything I cannot stop. For them having a couple drinks with dinner maybe one or two more and the result is waking up with a little headache, with me I come out of a blackout in a ditch inside a crashed vehicle I have zero recollection of acquiring in another state, or in jail, or looking up at paramedics. If I made the decision to pick up I’d be going from having a great life to throwing it all away and becoming a complete degenerate faster than a 215 Berger at 3,000 FPS.

Like it was said to me, try it out don’t pick up for a year if you don’t like where your at your misery will be cheerfully refunded.

schmalzy

WKR
I don’t know how I missed this entire thread till today. I’m in the same boat as ZAP, ones to many a thousand is never enough. I have zero confusion today, if I decide to use it’ll take me to the same place it always has, jails institutions and death and I’ve visited all 3. I’ve been with my wife for 9 years and we have two kids and they have never seen me use. I couldn’t imagine picking up today knowing how many people rely on me and where that decision brings me every time.

When I’m in social settings and someone asks if I want a drink I say no thanks not tonight, all the times I’ve said no I don’t drink people seem like they deserve an explanation. If I say no thanks and they pry I say I’m allergic, every time I drink I break out in handcuffs and that usually shuts them up. I feel perfectly comfortable being at a wedding or something with people drinking I don’t feel awkward like I need social lubrication to carry on a conversation, but I can count on one hand how many times in the last couple years I’ve been in such a setting. My brother got married a few years ago and all the groomsmen were together before and one of my friends said we’re getting you drunk tonight and I said how much do you guys have in your checking account and he said there’s no way your drinking that much and I said no but I’ll need it for bail money. I just kinda have fun with it what else can you do.

I’ve had a few friends seriously ask why I don’t drink or anything anymore and I explain and most are super supportive, I don’t like telling anyone unless I’m asked, it’s no ones business I don’t run around telling everyone like I deserve a Pat on the ass, there’s a difference between asking for help and seeking validation. Some friends have reached out saying they want to cut back they have been drinking a few to many during the week like they want my advise and I honestly can’t relate, if I could manage life drinking a few beers a night I’d probably be doing it but when I make that decision to pick up anything I cannot stop. For them having a couple drinks with dinner maybe one or two more and the result is waking up with a little headache, with me I come out of a blackout in a ditch inside a crashed vehicle I have zero recollection of acquiring in another state, or in jail, or looking up at paramedics. If I made the decision to pick up I’d be going from having a great life to throwing it all away and becoming a complete degenerate faster than a 215 Berger at 3,000 FPS.

Like it was said to me, try it out don’t pick up for a year if you don’t like where your at your misery will be cheerfully refunded.

Awesome post, thank you for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
Made up my mind in June of 1981 (26 yrs old) that I was done with alcohol after waking up in my truck at noon on a 90F day with the windows rolled up. I had been to a party the night before and drank a lot of everything. I felt like crap. I got to thinking about what might have happened if I had tried to drive home a few hours earlier. I decided that my main motive to drinking was to fit into a crowd. I decided it wasn't worth it and I have never touched another drop since. I loved beer, drank a lot of it. I really didn't like liquor but drank quite a bit. Drank moonshine when I could get it. Left it all behind and never missed it. Sometimes I would go out with the guys and be the sober driver. I know I have saved a lot of money and heartaches. It wasn't easy at first but became easier as I watched my friends make fools of themselves knowing that is what I used to do.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
Made up my mind in June of 1981 (26 yrs old) that I was done with alcohol after waking up in my truck at noon on a 90F day with the windows rolled up. I had been to a party the night before and drank a lot of everything. I felt like crap. I got to thinking about what might have happened if I had tried to drive home a few hours earlier. I decided that my main motive to drinking was to fit into a crowd. I decided it wasn't worth it and I have never touched another drop since. I loved beer, drank a lot of it. I really didn't like liquor but drank quite a bit. Drank moonshine when I could get it. Left it all behind and never missed it. Sometimes I would go out with the guys and be the sober driver. I know I have saved a lot of money and heartaches. It wasn't easy at first but became easier as I watched my friends make fools of themselves knowing that is what I used to do.
Thank you for sharing!

I'm actually 26 now, and I just hit 6 months a while back. I've hit a point where it's not even an option, or want anymore. I only see all the bad shit it can bring.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
Hey, man! Thanks for sharing your story. It's always nice to have reminders, and inspiration from guys who can relate.
Over the last few months I've realized I probably wouldn't be alive right now if I kept drinking at the point I was at. Alcohol wouldn't have killed me, but it would've been a big catalyst for it.

I started telling people that ask that I just don't drink. The people around me don't need explanations, and if they do they're not usually people I want to be around anyway.
And when buddies ask about quitting I also tell them pretty close to the same. "You've lived your life like this for a long time. Nothing wrong with trying something different for a while. If the positives aren't there (which they most likely will be) you can always go back."

It's certainly been an interesting 6 months. The gal that kind of started it won't talk to me again, but that's okay.
I've met a lot of people through getting sober, and have really realized how many people give a shit about me. I thought I needed validation from the girl to find my self worth.
Then people who actually cared showed me that I'm actually a good person that just has some issues.
Including this forum!

I am also lucky enough that all my close friends weren't just drinking buddies. I'd drink with them sometimes, but our relationships weren't formed based around that. So I've only gotten support from them!

Now this thread is a few months old.... how’s it going? How are you doing?

I’m pulling for you, bud.
I'm a little past 6 months sober. It's been interesting. I spent 80+ days in the field this season. Messed up a shot on barbary sheep archery hunt, but my buddy killed one. We doubled on javelina.

Spent two weeks alone in a random ass desert bowhunting antelope in August. September killed a P&Y bull.
Had a fun bear season, but didn't connect how I wanted.
Watched two bulls die on rifle hunts that I helped on.

All while sober. First hunting season in a long time that I had no hangovers. Felt good.

It was a really good year/season for me honestly. I saw so much darkness early on. I just wanted what I couldn't have.
It was too easy to look past all the good that I was surrounded by.

I haven't had as much time to browse rokslide lately. I started a new job a couple weeks ago.
I'm sure I'll be on more now that my sister's dog chewed up some stuff on my 44 mag. Probably will be looking for another kifaru bag LOL.

I really appreciate all the support. This thread, and the community continue to amaze me.

Attachments

• PXL_20220102_221836498._exported_1432_1642800175426.jpg
    PXL_20220102_221836498._exported_1432_1642800175426.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
As a daily drinker with a young family I want to quit all together, to be healthy and happy and watch my daughter grow. It’s a vicious circle dealing with depression and anxiety, and knowing drinking a few beers will “take the edge off”, but alcohol only perpetuates the issue. Not to mention coming from three generations of alcoholics on both sides of my family, feel as if I was set up to follow that path. Gotta figure something out.. I congratulate and envy all who have beat it, and if you haven’t, you’re not alone.

schmalzy

WKR
As a daily drinker with a young family I want to quit all together, to be healthy and happy and watch my daughter grow. It’s a vicious circle dealing with depression and anxiety, and knowing drinking a few beers will “take the edge off”, but alcohol only perpetuates the issue. Not to mention coming from three generations of alcoholics on both sides of my family, feel as if I was set up to follow that path. Gotta figure something out.. I congratulate and envy all who have beat it, and if you haven’t, you’re not alone.

Been there man. The harsh reality is the edge will
Still be there after the beers wear off or you wake up.

Only 10 months in but my life has significantly improved in multiple areas since putting it down. For me, there is No logical reason to go back(shout out to another Rokslider who shared that with me). Taking it one day at a time made it significantly more manageable in my brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRC_GUY

WKR
Stop drinking is good for your health, family, friends and be a good model for your kiddos and one less DUI.

def90

WKR

Getting in to a regular gym routine does wonders for depression and anxiety. It sucks for the first month or so but eventually you come to look forward to it.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I thought about the "taking the edge off" aspect of it a lot over the last year.
A good friend caved on quitting Copenhagen said "it's the edge I don't like. I need to take it off."
Sharp knife is a lot better than a dull knife. Once we see it as dulling ourselves it gets a little easier to not do something.

I hit 10 months a couple days ago, and I'm in a really good place in life. The domino effect of healthy choices is pretty profound when I look back. My entire life has changed since I started this thread. Getting sober has been one of the best choices I've ever made.

Feel free to reach out if you ever have questions.

just say no....

I would say that everyone should do this for 2 weeks at least once a year. I've been contemplating doing it very recently. Last night my wife asked me if I wanted an after work drink, which I denied and opted for having a glass of wine for dinner