Quitting Alcohol

Been sober for a year as of April 10. Best decision I have ever made. Have lost around 70 lbs, have more energy, more focused, better moods, more present for my children. Every aspect of life is better. Mind you, I didnt consider myself as having a “drinking problem” either. I had a couple drinks 1-3 nights a week and would occasionally have more than a few on the weekends. I assume my experienced benefits are more from a mental shift than the physical changes of not having the small amount of alcohol in my system. But either way, I am loving where my life is at right now. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
I had a conversation with a workmate the other day who lives in Charlotte. She said there are bars there that serve no alcohol for the “sober curious.”

I found that term interesting…as if sobriety was the abnormal state and something to try out to see if you liked it.

It tells you a great deal about how deep alcohol has entrenched itself in culture.

Well done @Bearwhisky - i think you may need a name change, beartea, or bearcoffee or something. ;-)

I had a conversation with a workmate the other day who lives in Charlotte. She said there are bars there that serve no alcohol for the “sober curious.”

I found that term interesting…as if sobriety was the abnormal state and something to try out to see if you liked it.

It tells you a great deal about how deep alcohol has entrenched itself in culture.

Well done @Bearwhisky - i think you may need a name change, beartea, or bearcoffee or something. ;-)

Im a distiller and make bourbon for a living. The name stays. LOL

As a daily drinker with a young family I want to quit all together, to be healthy and happy and watch my daughter grow. It’s a vicious circle dealing with depression and anxiety, and knowing drinking a few beers will “take the edge off”, but alcohol only perpetuates the issue. Not to mention coming from three generations of alcoholics on both sides of my family, feel as if I was set up to follow that path. Gotta figure something out.. I congratulate and envy all who have beat it, and if you haven’t, you’re not alone.

If you arent exercising regularly, it will likely help with your anxiety/depression. It certainly has for me. Good luck on your journey.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I have waves of dedication to working out. recently its been at the bottom of the list. There have been times in m life it was at the top, working out 6 days per week. I have been easing back in and definitely has an effect on how I feel. Appreciate the kind words and advice from all!

Yoder

WKR
I have waves of dedication to working out. recently its been at the bottom of the list. There have been times in m life it was at the top, working out 6 days per week. I have been easing back in and definitely has an effect on how I feel. Appreciate the kind words and advice from all!
One thing I would recommend trying is just go to an AA meeting. I think I went to about 10-15 meetings total. I never got a sponsor and I didn't agree with everything they taught, but I did learn a lot. Hearing people's stories was really helpful. The best thing I learned is just worry about today and if you do drink, there's always tomorrow. Don't think about how impossible it is to never drink again. It's too overwhelming. Once you get through enough todays it gets easier. Eventually you stop thinking about it every day. Good luck.

eamyrick

WKR
Been sober for a year as of April 10. Best decision I have ever made. Have lost around 70 lbs, have more energy, more focused, better moods, more present for my children. Every aspect of life is better. Mind you, I didnt consider myself as having a “drinking problem” either. I had a couple drinks 1-3 nights a week and would occasionally have more than a few on the weekends. I assume my experienced benefits are more from a mental shift than the physical changes of not having the small amount of alcohol in my system. But either way, I am loving where my life is at right now. Good luck.

Congrats man. Around the same time I hit 8 years sober and you will be there shortly. I really like your last line “I am loving where my life is at right now.” This sums it up for me. Alcohol is perfectly fine for some folks. I’m not one of them. The trajectory of my life change dramatically after I stopped.

If anyone needs any help ever or has any questions, please do not hesitate to give me a shout.

richyrich408

Lil-Rokslider
Been Sober for almost 2 years now. I always have had an addictive personality it started with Cigarettes, quit that then Copenhagen, then alcohol. I definitely used alcohol to kind of withdrawal and zone out even though I probably would of been considered high functioning. It wasn’t until I met my wife that I started seeing a lot of the negative effects, probably because she was the only one who had the nerve to call me on my shit. If you asked me at the time I would of told you it wasn’t really a problem. Always made excuses or rules so I would t have to stop it seemed like my life would change and be so boring if it didn’t contain alcohol. Never did AA as I’m not very religious but I did attend some life ring classes. I do think that you will be more successful if you have a group you can talk with. Thinking back now I have wasted a lot of years revolving my life around alcohol. If you ever have that feeling like you need a drink, it is a problem. People who don’t have a drinking problem don’t think about drinking. It can still be hard sometimes in social situations because our culture. Literally alcohol is everywhere. Some places it’s harder to find non alcoholic drinks than alcoholic ones which is crazy. Either way I don’t regret it a bit. I have never been closer to my wife, more present for my kids and honestly a better role model and just more alert and less tired. I also thought with quitting I would lose some friends but it just so happens that a couple of good friends decided to join me as well so now we do the same things we would do like before just with a soda instead of beer in our hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I recently celebrated 6 years of continuous sobriety. Definitely one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. My life is better in every meaningful way. I am still actively involved with a 12 step program in my community. I even met my wife in recovery, she’s coming up on 5 years. If you need help, have questions, or are struggling, please reach out any time.

Gave it up at the age of 30, nearly 30 years ago.

I wasn't a daily drinker, but when I did drink, I didn't have an off switch. Something bad was certain to happen. There's a long history of alcoholism in my family and alcohol related deaths. I didn't ask for that genetic make-up, but I got it. Quitting was easy. I haven't missed it one damn bit. Everything about my life is better without it.

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
I'll jump in....

Hit 13 years sober in March. Wenn I got sober....I wasn't drinking every day, never an arrest for anything alcohol related, no DWIs, no kid or wife beating, no jobs lost due to drinking, no one "negatively effected" by my drinking......but I got into one little accident and kicked out of and PNG'd from a country across the pond. Went to rehab at the behest of uncle Sam and realized, after talking to a few folks that had a LOT of sobriety....that I was a lucky one and all of those "nevers" were just waiting to happen. I had a whole bunch of "not yets" just waiting in the wings. I had a very high bottom, took advantage of it, and never looked back.

I've had buddies ask if I thought they had a problem... My answer is always the same. Whether you're an alcoholic isn't for me to diagnose...because I can't....BUT....if your asking me is a serious question....well, that might be a clue.....go to a meeting, sit, and listen. If you do decide stop....do it for yourself, not your job, wife, kids, parents....etc.

There are plenty of people I know who have a drink every day....cocktail or wine with dinner....and it doesn't mean they are an alcoholic. Some people can handle it...some can until they can't....everyone is different. First step is the easiest to answer.... Has alcohol made your life unmanageable? If you're questioning a potential problem...start with that.

No, AA isn't the end all be all. I know many who have gotten successfully sober in other ways. I do, however, recommend people start there. Find a meeting you like, as all are different. Some are like a bunch of cheerleaders who love hugs and high fives.....others are more old school. I preferred the old school meetings....but it's a good start to get a sponsor and have someone to hold you accountable.

Listen to Joe and Charlie....old school AA guys who are both dead now. They're pretty old school BB based and a good listen. Either way....good luck to anyone struggling.....it can suck for sure but the rewards can be endless.

Wait....Has hunting made my life unmanageable? Shit....now I gotta find a Hunters Anonymous meeting....

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
I'll jump in....

Hit 13 years sober in March. Wenn I got sober....I wasn't drinking every day, never an arrest for anything alcohol related, no DWIs, no kid or wife beating, no jobs lost due to drinking, no one "negatively effected" by my drinking......but I got into one little accident and kicked out of and PNG'd from a country across the pond. Went to rehab at the behest of uncle Sam and realized, after talking to a few folks that had a LOT of sobriety....that I was a lucky one and all of those "nevers" were just waiting to happen. I had a whole bunch of "not yets" just waiting in the wings. I had a very high bottom, took advantage of it, and never looked back.

I've had buddies ask if I thought they had a problem... My answer is always the same. Whether you're an alcoholic isn't for me to diagnose...because I can't....BUT....if your asking me is a serious question....well, that might be a clue.....go to a meeting, sit, and listen. If you do decide stop....do it for yourself, not your job, wife, kids, parents....etc.

There are plenty of people I know who have a drink every day....cocktail or wine with dinner....and it doesn't mean they are an alcoholic. Some people can handle it...some can until they can't....everyone is different. First step is the easiest to answer.... Has alcohol made your life unmanageable? If you're questioning a potential problem...start with that.

No, AA isn't the end all be all. I know many who have gotten successfully sober in other ways. I do, however, recommend people start there. Find a meeting you like, as all are different. Some are like a bunch of cheerleaders who love hugs and high fives.....others are more old school. I preferred the old school meetings....but it's a good start to get a sponsor and have someone to hold you accountable.

Listen to Joe and Charlie....old school AA guys who are both dead now. They're pretty old school BB based and a good listen. Either way....good luck to anyone struggling.....it can suck for sure but the rewards can be endless.

Wait....Has hunting made my life unmanageable? Shit....now I gotta find a Hunters Anonymous meeting....
I couldn't have said it better.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already (sorry I didn't read all 15 pages) but the book "Alcohol Explained" by William Porter is really good. It definately helped me give up alcohol (and yes life is much better without). Give it a read if you're considering going alcohol free. And if you are still drinking wait until you finish the book to stop (so you can see some the effects he discusses in real time).

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of an odd question here. I am newly sober (3 weeks) and I am experiencing muscle cramps during the night. Primarily in my legs/feet. I have always been a big water drinker (like a gallon a day drinker). I also still have faux cocktails (sprite zero or squirt zero) in the evenings so I feel my good fluid intake is still solid. My workout routines have stayed constant during this timeframe. My diet/food has not changed that I am aware of. Just seems to be a weird side effect hitting me this month.

Good things include BP is back down to normal ranges without meds, mornings are something I look forward to, and I have dropped 6lbs.

schmalzy

WKR
Kind of an odd question here. I am newly sober (3 weeks) and I am experiencing muscle cramps during the night. Primarily in my legs/feet. I have always been a big water drinker (like a gallon a day drinker). I also still have faux cocktails (sprite zero or squirt zero) in the evenings so I feel my good fluid intake is still solid. My workout routines have stayed constant during this timeframe. My diet/food has not changed that I am aware of. Just seems to be a weird side effect hitting me this month.

Good things include BP is back down to normal ranges without meds, mornings are something I look forward to, and I have dropped 6lbs.

Congratulations on the decision. Excited for you.

No experience with the cramps but wouldn’t rule out your body just getting everything out of its system and recalibrating to a new normal. To be clear, I’m the farthest thing from a doctor you can get, but when I quit I had a few random side effects that eased off after a month or so.

Wow, just found this thread. Kudos to all of you making the step. On of my closet friends just celebrated his 42 years. I met him two months after he joined AA. He is an amazing guy. It has been a long road but he has persevered through it all. I have never been a drinker so us meeting I think was divine intervention. We became best friends. Lots of battles, lots of lies, lots of discouragement, two marriages but he has stayed true. Take advantage of the support system within.

It's humbling and a tear jerker to see a 12 year old little girl give her Daddy his first one year chip. God Bless all of you making that step and just know you can do it.

1660927363396.jpeg

Last edited:

I used to suffer from cramps in my thighs and calves. I now take a supplement daily (google calm magnesium) and have very little trouble. If you don’t want to take it daily, you can just take it when you get cramps and it’ll work in about 15 minutes. Figure out the lowest effective dose because it also has a mild laxative effect.😁

49ereric

WKR
I gave up intoxicating myself over 18 years ago.
quit after helping the wife’s cousin in a sweat lodge ceremony.
never had a craving after that so it was easy for me,
sobriety isn’t all it’s cracked up to be but it suits me fine.