Quitting Copenhagen!!!!!!

Jpeaston

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to give thanks to this old thread, just made it a year without "glassing powder". Celebrating with an OTC elk tag in a couple weeks!

brewer427

WKR
Little late for the OP but I just wanted to throw something out there that has helped several of my friends kick the habit.

http://www.worldsgreatestchew.com/

They said it was a little different to get use to at first but it made it a lot easier for them to quit. Just another idea.

SDHNTR

WKR
Coming up on two years free from a 18 year habit for me. Just quit. Sack up and do it.

Trr15

WKR
It'll be 2 years in February for me. Chewed for 20 years (started at age 12). Still miss it, but giving it up was one of the best decisions i ever made.

LaGriz

WKR
The stuff is so addictive.

Once had an oilfield customer drive in the middle of the night 40 miles to get a can of dip. He placed in in his pocket and was ok! Did not even open the can that evening! He just had to have it on his person....just in case! His wife was all over him the next day to quit. My dad died of smoking related health problems at 69.
I sure wish he was around a few more years, without the poor quality of life he endured the last 3-4. My step mom was young and suffered thru the ordeal aswell. Good luck with kicking it partner. You are makeing a wise move.

LaGriz

Took my last dip almost exactly 26 yrs ago after a 15 yr habit. Started at 13. When i quit i was up to a can & a half a day. Quit drinking at the same time.
Ever once in a while a dip sounds good but i just pull down my lip & look at how little gums are left on my lower front teeth & the urge quickly goes away.

I respect anyone who quits!

La griz I know your buddies feeling about just in case, I never had the nicotine addiction though, for me it was always something to do. Started during baseball in high school. I'd throw a new dip in every at bat unless the previous dip got me a hit. It just became a habit of something to do when there was nothing to do. Go on a long drive might as well grab a bump, playing cards at a buddies, better take a dip. I never got a craving for it, guess I was lucky. Eventually got a new job and stopped playing ball worked where no one chewed and realized I had been carrying around the same can of grizzly green for almost 5 months. Threw it out and have not taken one sense, that was almost 5 years ago. Every once and awhile I'll get a hankering for a chew, I go to the store and grab a bag of sun flower seeds.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
Took me years to quit. I didn't even think it was going to be possible. I had a strategy that worked OK. I allowed myself 1 dip a day, and only one. After a few months of that there would be a day ever so often that I would forget to have my daily dip. Then I switched to 1 dip every other day. But I wasn't really getting anywhere.
Then I read a newspaper article of a teenager in MI that died from ingesting 2.5 cans of Cope, (nicotine poisoning), because his friends bet him. Now, I knew guys that chewed a can of Cope a day. I realized then and there that this stuff is straight up poison!
I read this account a few days before going on vacation. I decided to quit cold once I left on the trip, thinking that I would be distracted on vacation. For the next two weeks after reading that article I would have this reoccurring dream. I would put a dip in and start puking volumes amounts of chew. I would wake up from the dreams every night, still feeling the nausea. You know, that nausea you feel when you have had a dip in too long.

That was about 15 years ago. I haven't had a dip since.

But, I still have the dreams! Ever so often I will have the exact same dream, I wake up sweating and feeling nauseous. Thankful that I was able to quit.

I have smoked cigarettes as well. Quitting smoking is a cake walk compared to chew. The nicotine levels in chew are much, much greater.

Good luck to everyone in the process. Don't underestimate the difficulty. It will most likely be the most significant and demanding test of will power you will ever experience in life.

gwl79902

WKR
Quiting is in stages of threes. Three days three weeks anf three years. The first is the worst and it getts better in time. I have been off about 10 years and tell myself I did not quit I just am not chewing now. The quit is hard to take but thw not now is easier to take. When I am diognost with terminal something I will buy a log and chew like a mad man but not now. Use all the crap you can patch niciret gum regular gum sunflowers seeds use it all. It helps a lot. Just do not chew any real stuff untill you are told you are going to die the what the hell. Good luck

Wyatt G

Lil-Rokslider
I wish my dad could quit but he has chrohn's disease for about 13 years and part of it makes him get tons of sores in his mouth to where he cant eat or drink and the only thing that keeps them away is dip, hes tried quiting many times but they just come right back, but congrats guys on quiting ive never tried it but i know just from my dad its very addicting and hard to get off of so good job!