Quiver Arrow Security - Stay Safe!

Wanted to share a eye opening experience from this season. While hiking through a creek bottom, I had an arrow pop out of my quiver, with the broadhead coming to rest on my upper thigh. If I had not heard it happen and stopped, or, had fallen in the process, things could have gone south quickly. After that, I decided a 6" rubber gear tie wrapped around the back of the quiver to the arrows was a worthwhile security blanket to prevent a potential serious accident. It takes just seconds to untwist and shove in my pant or pack pocket. Spent several outings since with this, including stalks where I knocked an arrow and it was hardly noticeable in my routine. Will gladly spare this time when knocking an arrow compared to the alternative.. Stay safe out there and enjoy the time in the woods!

Attachments

• PXL_20211019_134942884.jpg
    PXL_20211019_134942884.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 256
  • PXL_20211019_134933449.jpg
    PXL_20211019_134933449.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 255

rideold

WKR
Glad you're OK! I lost an arrow on my first archery hunt in some thick brush and didn't realize until a good mile later. I backtracked my GPS track and found it but yea, it could have been ugly if it hadn't just snagged in the brush! I use a tight spot quiver now.

I do something similar. I put a rubber bracelet in the same spot. I packed in a few miles for archery elk to find I lost 4 of the 6 arrows on my way in. That sucked!

OP
LuckHappens
I do something similar. I put a rubber bracelet in the same spot. I packed in a few miles for archery elk to find I lost 4 of the 6 arrows on my way in. That sucked!
That does suck! Glad one didn't stick ya.
I also like the peace of mind having the arrows more secured when strapping the bow to the back of my pack.

Glad all was well.
We could really use a "safety" thread here on RS. So many things that happen that many never realize are possibilities. We have videos, apps for all things hunting, but not the dangers and real world experiences others have been thru that could help some one new.

Anytime I am in bad blow down I have to always watch the bow rig. Even when I am on a stalk focused on what's ahead or even after the shot tracking an elk, and rarely focusing on my bow any more, I have to remind myself to pay attention. I have had them well secured and still came loose and were dangling under the quiver hood.

I have had to leave one hunt due to a broadhead into the thigh. Hike off mountain, went to ER, got stitches, and then back at, with more attention to the next safety issue with new appreciation.

OP
LuckHappens
Glad all was well.
We could really use a "safety" thread here on RS. So many things that happen that many never realize are possibilities. We have videos, apps for all things hunting, but not the dangers and real world experiences others have been thru that could help some one new.

Anytime I am in bad blow down I have to always watch the bow rig. Even when I am on a stalk focused on what's ahead or even after the shot tracking an elk, and rarely focusing on my bow any more, I have to remind myself to pay attention. I have had them well secured and still came loose and were dangling under the quiver hood.

I have had to leave one hunt due to a broadhead into the thigh. Hike off mountain, went to ER, got stitches, and then back at, with more attention to the next safety issue with new appreciation.
Fully agree - we focus a lot of the end result and tips to get us there, and less about the safety. Glad to hear you're situation ended up well in the end - I'm sure that was not a fun experience!

Chunky Dunk 71

Lil-Rokslider
Glad all was well.

All the times we have safety issues in the field, we should start a thread with ideas like this. I know i have had to come up with a few "solutions" over the years to prevent hurting myself or others when an unforeseen accident or near miss happened. And in the moment of the "grind", you just make a quick fix to hopefully prevent it from happening again. A thread for just life hacks for hunters in the field could prove extremely helpful.

jmannas

FNG
Where did you get the elastic bands? Would be great to find something that fits the 6 arrow setup nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDRam16

WKR
Glad nothing bad happened. Spend the money on a Tight Spot and you can adjust the tightness of the arrow grippers. It would take a pretty good knock for one to come out without you pulling on it on purpose.

Scrappy

WKR
Not trying to push a product but when it comes to safety

. Went through several quivers over the years. Always loosing arrows, trying all kinds of hacks to keep my arrows to no avail. Finally invested in a tight spot for the sole reason you can adjust the tension on each arrow. Now when an arrow hangs on something it will almost pull bow out of my hand before the arrow comes out.

I've heard nothing but good things about the arrow security in Tight Spot quivers, but I like the low cost solutions for quivers that you already have. A piece of shock cord would be a good alternative to a heavy duty rubber band and maybe be a bit quieter.

Years ago (decades) had a broadhead in my lower calf after sliding down a leaf covered hillside near Hay Creek, MN. Did the field first aid thing and got a ride out on a horse since some ladies were riding in a group when I made my way down the hill to the trail. I was super lucky and got stitches locally and then went back out for a short hunt before driving home (I didn't wander too far with my leg bandaged up though).

I was stalking a deer with an arrow nocked - I'll never do that again in treacherous country and I periodically check my quiver to be sure arrows are seated well within it. That was a pretty scary experience and I was lucky the group with the horses were riding through and we met as I was in a ways and not sure how I would have gotten myself out. I did not feel the arrow go in me at all so they were sharp for sure but after stopping the bleed and then bandaging it good (the group had horse wrap so a pack of kleenex wrapped tight with horse wrap for first aid) it sure did throb painfully for awhile. To get down the hill first though was another pack of kleenex tied on my leg with boot laces after applying pressure. Was not backpacking in and did not think the hunt was risky at all so then learned to take every outing seriously and not leave so much room for error. Now I never go hunting without at least a small trauma care kit - stop the bleed and bandage...like a H-bandage in the pack at least even for short day hunts nearby.

Also now I go out with a PLB in the pack - hope to never have to use it but good to have just in case. You could come across another person that is injured and need to call for help, you never know.