Quiver on or off for western hunting

Quiver on or off for western hunting

• Total voters
Hey guys, I heard Randy Ulmer on a podcast saying he takes his quiver off for spot and stalk mule deer. He said he loops it into a thin nylon belt. I also found this video where he describes his process (see link below). I've always shot with my quiver on. Even when hunting whitetails from a stand in Texas this year, I kept my quiver on. He makes a strong case, saying a quiver adds weight that you need to counter balance, acts as a sail in the wind, and increases shot noise. I'm thinking for elk you could strap the quiver to the side of your pack when sneaking through the timber or calling as the belt idea probably wouldn't work for run and gun elk.

I'm thinking I'll practice without a quiver this year and see if it improves my shooting and if so I'll give it a whirl hunting this fall. What are your thoughts? If you shoot without a quiver for western hunting, please describe your quiver set-up and the species you're after.

Rob5589

WKR
Always on. I'm not messing with pulling it and securing it to myself or pack whenever a stalk is going to happen. IMO, shoot at animals in the same configuration you practice.

cjdewese

WKR
A new hunter here but I wouldn't ever want to be reaching anywhere besides my bow for a 2nd arrow for whatever reason.

Wapack

FNG
Randy is the man! But I also leave mine on. My tune is appreciably different between off and on. My tune is with quiver on and stacked minus one. I have had a few instances where i was able to make a follow up shot and i was happy to have my quiver on my bow.

Goose10

FNG
I never take mine off but I'll share a story about a flatlander that is a competitive archer that came out for an elk hunt.
He insisted that he got the most out of his bow by never shooting with the quiver on. Had been doing it for years hunting whitetails out of the trees and worked great. When he came out elk hunting, he had the same strategy. One evening he was on the edge of the timber on the top of a bowl as the elk came out of the timber. The bull strayed over near him but he had a chance to close the distance by 10 yards so he dropped his pack and quiver to do just that. Got closer, got a shot but missed high due to the steep angle. Arrow went past and down the hill without really spooking the bull. He got the privilege to watch the bull bugle and chase cows while his quiver was back up the hill without ever getting another chance the whole trip.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
I always hunt with the quiver on. I use a two piece quiver and I don't notice any additional noise or vibration from it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I never take mine off but I'll share a story about a flatlander that is a competitive archer that came out for an elk hunt.
He insisted that he got the most out of his bow by never shooting with the quiver on. Had been doing it for years hunting whitetails out of the trees and worked great. When he came out elk hunting, he had the same strategy. One evening he was on the edge of the timber on the top of a bowl as the elk came out of the timber. The bull strayed over near him but he had a chance to close the distance by 10 yards so he dropped his pack and quiver to do just that. Got closer, got a shot but missed high due to the steep angle. Arrow went past and down the hill without really spooking the bull. He got the privilege to watch the bull bugle and chase cows while his quiver was back up the hill without ever getting another chance the whole trip.

Sounds like poor planning on his part more than shooting without his quiver on.

I hear about dropping the quiver and wouldn’t ever do that on a western hunt. Regardless, if you do, you should practice just like you hunt and be ready for any situation. For those new to western hunting or even hunting in general, that’s means shooting off your knees, off one need, from behind/around bushes, with your pack on and off, etc.... you never know what’s going to happen and things can happen quick so you need to be ready for any shot and have practiced any shot. I even practice shooting after doing push ups or burpees or quick sprints to see how you shoot when winded and how to learn to calm down fast. Those same practice philosophies apply to using a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a hoyt rx3 turbo which starts off on the heavy side. I left my quiver on all last year for practice and hunting. It makes my bow heavy, some people seem to like that and i thought it made the most sense/was the simplest. This year i decided to take it off for practice, along with my side stabilizer and i really want to leave it off now lol. I tried getting a 3 arrow tight spot too and it still needs a side bar to balance it and i have really been liking shooting without it on so i think im gonna try a hip or back quiver or something now. Having all the extra weight definitely makes it harder to hold my bow in wind and stay steady at full draw for longer periods of time

I second the above comment about practicing with your actual hunting gear in actual hunting scenarios. I do the elevated heart rate shooting for my first shots every time. I even did it after sighting in my rifle yesterday lol

87TT

WKR
Only time my quiver comes off is to switch to another bow or work on it in the press.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never seen a reason to take it off for shooting......even for tourneys. Everything I do in regards to archery is for hunting, so I expect to do all my shooting the same as if I was chasing elk. I even wear my camo jersey hunting gloves as well, and normally have my pack on too......just like hunting.

I never shoot or hunt with a quiver on my bow. I have used a hip quiver for over 30 years. The only problem is that the good ones with the lengthwise and crossways stiffeners in them are pretty heavy. I won't be changing as they work well.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
I take my tight spot off and put it on my belt when I stalk or shoot. The quiver is either attached to the bow or to my belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a funny thing. My Matthews V3 feels more balanced with the one piece quiver on.... Just feels better!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have used hip quivers, detachable quivers, and fixed two piece. Pretty much a two piece quiver guy anymore. I like some extra weight on the bow, and I'd rather it be useful weight instead of intentionally adding actual weights.

Quivers do grab the wind tho, however if I'm worried the few extra things are going to be critical to being able to make the shot, I maybe shouldn't be shooting in the situation.
It ain't dots.