Quiver on or off for western hunting

Quiver on or off for western hunting

• Total voters

Spiegel

FNG
Been thinking about messing around with something like the safari tuff Arrowmaster quiver or something similar. I've also always want to play around with a Quivalizer. Been curious about it for a long time. But so far I've always left my Tightspot on. My friend has once taken off his quiver and made me hold it while he tried to get closer before lol.

cusecat04

FNG
I used to remove it in the treestand but not any more, that 2nd arrow can be key...
Out west seems like another thing I shouldn't be fiddling with in the heat of the moment.

I've never understood why on earth anyone would ever remove the quiver in a hunting scenario?
For western, I don't think I have. In a stand or blind I sure do though. I can understand the noise and wind issues. I don't understand the thinking of taking it off to be more quiet, when it attached to your hip is going to move and swing and brush more shit.

ia bhtr

FNG
Whitetail tree stand hunting my quiver is always off , but close enough for a quick 2nd shot if needed

Out west , my quiver will always be on the bow

I leave mine on always. Don’t see any reason to make things more complicated taking it off and on.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Because some guys from back east can't hold the extra 12 oz up.

I jest

Mostly

Lol. I don’t like the added noise of my arrows hitting on stuff is why I take mine off. When hunting out West it’s never on my bow, so technically, I don’t take it off out there. 😜

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most of the guys I know leave it on, but I use a removable quiver and take it off for longer shots. Generally, if I'm shooting over 50 yards I can take a couple extra seconds to range the animal and pull off the quiver. I'd rather not have the wind pushing on it and the extra weight of the quiver and side bar to balance it out. I also prefer not having it on for practicing all year, but I will some of the time.

I always leave the quiver in no matter what. You don’t want to have to worry where your arrows are at when they can just be right at hand and the issue brought up with counterbalancing isn’t enough of an argument to take it off. Also having it on your belt or wherever it just flops around and causes unneeded movement and noise. As long as you are running a good quiver that attaches tight to your bow it shouldn’t be an issue.

Dennis

WKR
I have been using a Quivalizer for several years and like the options it provides. On/Off/ or as a stabilizer.

It is normally carried on the side of the bow when hiking, riding horses or strapped to my backpack. For most shot opportunities I remove it from the side of the bow to the front quick connect as a stabilizer. I have also found it easy to carry in that position. In high wind I can remove it and lay it down or attach to a belt. In a ground blind I normally remove the Quivalizer and place a 10" stabilizer in the front quick release instead of the Quivalizer just so I can move around between windows easier when at full draw.

OR Archer

WKR
I never take mine off but I'll share a story about a flatlander that is a competitive archer that came out for an elk hunt.
He insisted that he got the most out of his bow by never shooting with the quiver on. Had been doing it for years hunting whitetails out of the trees and worked great. When he came out elk hunting, he had the same strategy. One evening he was on the edge of the timber on the top of a bowl as the elk came out of the timber. The bull strayed over near him but he had a chance to close the distance by 10 yards so he dropped his pack and quiver to do just that. Got closer, got a shot but missed high due to the steep angle. Arrow went past and down the hill without really spooking the bull. He got the privilege to watch the bull bugle and chase cows while his quiver was back up the hill without ever getting another chance the whole trip.
Watched Will Primos do the same thing on one of his videos lol. Running and gunning for elk it never leaves the bow. Learn to shoot with it on.

OP
Bowhunter50
Just realized I never replied to this thread. Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm thinking I'll just plan on keeping my quiver on. I've tried shooting with it on and off lately and haven't found a profound enough difference to go through the trouble of taking it on and off in the field and worry about it strapped to my hip on a stalk! Thanks again

nphunter

WKR
I leave it on and stalk with my boots and pack on 90% of the time. I mostly elk hunt and you can get away with a lot of noise, in the thick nasty crap I elk hunt in it would be a nightmare having a quiver attached to my body anywhere. Climbing or crawling under dead fall, pushing through thick brush, belly crawling in sage, wading rivers, etc. I can't think of a single stalk where dragging a quiver full of arrows around on my hip or back wouldn't have been a PITA and somehow would have given me an advantage.

I shoot with my quiver on all year long and most of my practice is done at 60-100 yards and I have seen very little negative impact besides a few extra oz. I did install an extendable stabilizer which really helps at longer ranges and in the wind.

Most of the guys I know leave it on, but I use a removable quiver and take it off for longer shots. Generally, if I'm shooting over 50 yards I can take a couple extra seconds to range the animal and pull off the quiver. I'd rather not have the wind pushing on it and the extra weight of the quiver and side bar to balance it out. I also prefer not having it on for practicing all year, but I will some of the time.
Bill do you find the tune of your bow change at all when taking it off? When I have a full quiver on I have to move my side bar out a good 5-6” from the bow to balance. I would rather run it closer (and can when the quiver is off) , but hate it when my bow doesn’t sit in the middle naturally. I suppose I could add more weight to the back.

Another vote for always on. I might even switch up to a two piece quiver (and save some weight in the process) as a result.

Hey guys, I heard Randy Ulmer on a podcast saying he takes his quiver off for spot and stalk mule deer. He said he loops it into a thin nylon belt. I also found this video where he describes his process (see link below). I've always shot with my quiver on. Even when hunting whitetails from a stand in Texas this year, I kept my quiver on. He makes a strong case, saying a quiver adds weight that you need to counter balance, acts as a sail in the wind, and increases shot noise. I'm thinking for elk you could strap the quiver to the side of your pack when sneaking through the timber or calling as the belt idea probably wouldn't work for run and gun elk.

I'm thinking I'll practice without a quiver this year and see if it improves my shooting and if so I'll give it a whirl hunting this fall. What are your thoughts? If you shoot without a quiver for western hunting, please describe your quiver set-up and the species you're after.

interesting... on is my preference!