Quiver preference

Berger024

WKR
I'm fairly new to elk hunting with a bow. I have used a 4 quiver the last 3 years. and never imagined needing more, due to my experience with NE whitetail hunting. I ran into a hilarious fellow out in the backcountry last year. He said he shot all 5 arrows, hit two different bulls and missed on his first two bull sightings. He said he was all over elk. Seemed like a nice guy.

Long story short, it got me thinking. Was that nice fellow just totally out of his mind or should I carry more than 4 arrows when going into the backcountry?

I don't think I would ever fling arrows like that guy, but I guess strange things can happen out there.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
I use a 5 arrow Tight Spot and carry 4 broadheads and a judo for grouse. I've never shot more than two broadheads at elk in over 20 years of archery hunting elk. I admit to shooting my whole quiver at grouse, and then retrieving arrows to try with again. I have a grouse issue.

On a back country hunt, I take a tube with extra arrows and broadheads in a plastic container. But it stays in camp.

Jeremy

pdun24

FNG
I can't imagine that you'll need more than 5 if you are being responsible.

OP
Berger024

Berger024

WKR
A buddy that elk hunts quite a bit mentioned extra arrows and judo for grouse. I will def keep a cpl of those in my psck close at hand. I don't think I'd ever get sick of having a grouse problem.

I would rather be the guy bitching about carrying thousands of grains of extra weight for no reason than the guy who can't shoot because he's out of ammo. 6 arrow quiver and if I'm not hunting from home in the Midwest I've got backup arrows too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 5 arrow quiver: 4 arrows with broadheads and 1 arrow with a small game head. It has never been a problem for me.

Oddly enough, I do carry 14 rounds of ammo while rifle hunting, but a 10 round ammo wallet takes up very little room in a pocket.

bradav03

FNG
Just got the tight spot 7 arrow. Nearly the same footprint and it was the same price. Not sure I'll pack that many but it's nice to have options.

NYSKIER

WKR
I use a 5 arrow Tight Spot and carry 4 broadheads and a judo for grouse. I've never shot more than two broadheads at elk in over 20 years of archery hunting elk. I admit to shooting my whole quiver at grouse, and then retrieving arrows to try with again. I have a grouse issue.

On a back country hunt, I take a tube with extra arrows and broadheads in a plastic container. But it stays in camp.

Jeremy
I second this I always carry in some extra arrows to be safe. You never know what could happen. You could slip and damage all you arrows. Think Murphy's Law

TheTone

WKR
6 arrow, all broadheads. I have no reason to be shooting at grouse, stumps, etc while I’m elk hunting.

Ulysses23

FNG
Another vote for the Tight Spot 5 arrow...4 Slick Tricks and a Judo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I don't kill something with 3 arrows I'm going back to camp. I could see having more if you have a Judo or something and small game is on the menu.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for tight spot 5. 4 broadheads and a judo, glad to see I’m not the only one with a grouse problem. Shot two last year in a huckleberry patch, best eating birds I’ve ever had.