R-value on sleeping pads

Willdorf

FNG
I am looking at a new sleeping pad for this season and was wondering if an R-value of 4 is a lot warmer than a pad with an R-value of 3.2?

Superdoo

WKR
It's exactly 0.8 R's warmer! :cool:

In all seriousness, a 0.8 upgrade is not going to be the difference between feeling cold and toasty warm. It's more like R3.2 is cold after 5 hours at 20* and R4 is cold after 5.35 hours.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I think R-value has to be evaluated against the anticipated temperatures, weight difference between the 2 pads, and which sleeping bag options you have. For instance, I have 2 sleeping pads and 2 sleeping bags. Basically gives me 4 options for the conditions I need. So while the warmer pad may be helpful, depending on weight difference, might be worth it to me to go with a lighter pad and heavier bag, or vice versa.

OP
W

Willdorf

FNG
Thanks guys. Doing a mid September Colorado archery elk hunt and trying to make sure I don’t get a pad that won’t help keep me comfortable

I have back issues so a cold or even slightly cool spine means pain the next day. All my pads are R5 & R6 rated mats now. Have had no issue with sweating or being too warm but then, I also use quilts instead of sleeping bags soooo.... ;)

OP
W

Willdorf

FNG
I have kicked around a quilt but am hesitant to try one this year for our backpack hunt. Would hate to find out I don’t like it after hiking a couple miles back

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Doing a mid September Colorado archery elk hunt and trying to make sure I don’t get a pad that won’t help keep me comfortable

I’m not sure it matters for that hunt. I run a simple Klymit non-insulated (R value of 1.3) in September and I’ve had zero issues with a 20 degree bag. I haven’t seen weather get below 30 degrees though at 9,500, but that may be my lack of experience.

I’d be interested to see other’s opinions on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second this. I’ve been on September archery hunts the last 2 years between 7,500 and 9,000 feet. It may have frozen a couple of times. I have a 30 degree bag on a 3.2 R value pad in a floorless shelter and I’ve stayed comfortable.

OP
W

Willdorf

FNG
I bought a thermarest neotherm pad yesterday. So now that my R value is 6.9 I am wondering about the Kifaru quilt. Any of you guys used one? I like the idea of synthetic versus down to avoid issues with it getting wet

Years ago I tried a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad my first trip to CO in Sept for archery elk and froze my tail off. Temps in the teens and the pad was supposedly rated at R4.5. Promptly sold it and bought an Xtherm and haven't been cold since. I'm gonna err on the side of warmer is better.

Thermarest are accurately rated. I don't think too much R-value matters, only too little. I use an Xtherm (R 6.9) for everything except summer camping and choose which bag to use based on expected lows. Summer I go with a super lightweight pad.

OP
W

Willdorf

FNG
Yeah I was figuring I would rather have one that would cover me in any weather conditions as opposed to only mild temperatures. The X therm is the one I bought yesterday