R-value

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
What is the recommended R-value in sleeping pads for temps below freezing to down around 20 degrees. Working on my sleep system for upcoming sheep hunt. Tested my 20* slick bag and xlight last night temps were about 28* when sun was rising and was freezing my butt off.

I’m not sure what’s recommended but since switching to the Xtherm pad (R 5.7) I haven’t been cold yet.

Froze my butt off with a Big Agnes Insulated air core that was supposedly rated to 15*.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna try the xtherm tonight temps are supposed to be about 5* warmer but hopefully it will be close enough to make a decision,thanks Billy

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Xtherm is rated at 6.9R value now by the new testing parameters. Most of the Thermarest air pads went up in R value scores, while their self inflators went down a little bit in R value scores. Nemo pads and BA pads got exposed a bit for inflated R value numbers as theirs took bigger hits. There's a thread on here somewhere with the R value link after the testing. I'll see if I can find it. Oh, and the Exped pads tested well also, if you like the vertical baffled pads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for info hopefully the xtherm will make a noticeable difference tonight then I will have a control point to start evaluating the slick bag to see if it will be warm enough, Thanks again Billy

Based on my overnighter last night, the Thermarest Xlite (R = 4.2) is right on the border at 27 degrees. My bag was a Western Mountaineering Sycamore with overfill from Hermit's Hut. It's a 25 degree bag and was almost hot at 27 degrees. But even wearing long wool pants, I could "feel" the cold under the pad with my hip. I was in a Nallo 4 GT with a full footprint, so that's the pad and two floors under me, and I still felt it. It was right on the edge of discomfort on my hip. But since I was so warm in the bag, it was only a small distraction.

I was NOT touching bottoming out the pad. Pad was probably 3/4 full, so I had at least an inch under my lowest point, which was my hip. I almost put my mini foam sitting-pad under my hip area. Doing that would probably extend the temperature range down to 20.

20200222_083733.jpg20200221_185911.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
My test set up is merino bottoms Swazi micro fleece top and alpaca socks as well as keni beanie. Sleeping on military style cot with only the pad ,I’m sure I’m pushing the capabilities of the pad but that’s the point I’ve had some cold nights in the woods but middle of Alaska is not the time to be cold for ten days. I felt like I should be toasty warm in the 30* range in a bag that’s rated to 20*.
Mike,Zeus if you don’t mind me asking what bags were y’all running

Rizzy

WKR
I would recommend an xtherm, which was a 5.0 R value by previous metrics. I have used my xtherm and 20 slick in the 20s many times and been fine.

Beendare

WKR
I’m not sure what’s recommended but since switching to the Xtherm pad (R 5.7) I haven’t been cold yet.

Froze my butt off with a Big Agnes Insulated air core that was supposedly rated to 15*.

same here...that BA pad is junk.

When I know I'm going to be in 20deg or below I now just put a waffle pad under my inflatable pad- toasty, helps protect it too.

I carry a pad with an R rating of 6. 28ozs is heavy but the sleep is worth it. I use a quilt so need a warm pad.

My test set up is merino bottoms Swazi micro fleece top and alpaca socks as well as keni beanie. Sleeping on military style cot with only the pad ,I’m sure I’m pushing the capabilities of the pad but that’s the point I’ve had some cold nights in the woods but middle of Alaska is not the time to be cold for ten days. I felt like I should be toasty warm in the 30* range in a bag that’s rated to 20*.

I was running a Western Mountaineering Sycamore with overfill from Hermit's Hut. It's a 25 degree bag and was almost hot at 27 degrees. I wore medium wool head to to, including neck gaiter. I wore ragg wool half-finger convertible mittens. I think this is one of the best ways to keep the body warm, by keeping the hand hot. I only zipped the bag to within 10" of the top stop and didn't use the hood or collar on the bag. First trip with this bag and I am as impressed as everyone said I would be.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Will know more in the morning ,if the slick and xtherm works tonight that will tell me a lot. I’m a cold sleeper so that’s a big factor in the equation to, I’m trying to figure out what pad and how much Climashield APEX insulation is enough to be comfortable into the high 20’s. If the slick works I’m considering getting a EE quilt rated for 20* .Then use my puffy set to go lower if temps dip.
Another question how much bump should I expect to be able to get from the additional puffy setup.sorry for all the questions it hard to test much in central Georgia

Zeus401

FNG
I’m using a outdoor vital -15 stormloft with a liner. Slept in my underwear and a merino wool t shirt.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again for all the help will report again tomorrow with how tonight goes 🥶

sneaky

"DADDY"
Will know more in the morning ,if the slick and xtherm works tonight that will tell me a lot. I’m a cold sleeper so that’s a big factor in the equation to, I’m trying to figure out what pad and how much Climashield APEX insulation is enough to be comfortable into the high 20’s. If the slick works I’m considering getting a EE quilt rated for 20* .Then use my puffy set to go lower if temps dip.
Another question how much bump should I expect to be able to get from the additional puffy setup.sorry for all the questions it hard to test much in central Georgia
Man, you're dealing with that humid cold too. I'm from SE TN originally and it's a different kind of cold with that moisture in the air.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Test update
I was truly surprised at the difference the xtherm made at those temps Friday night was shivering with the xlite,sat night temps within three degrees of Friday night but using the xtherm was almost to warm actually had to unzip to vent some heat twice,needless to say I’m sold on the therm for anything below about 35*.
Next step will be to see if a quilt will be warm enough for me.next weekend the temps are forecasted to be about the same,will find out more then,thanks for all the info and replies Billy

Test update
I was truly surprised at the difference the xtherm made at those temps Friday night was shivering with the xlite,sat night temps within three degrees of Friday night but using the xtherm was almost to warm actually had to unzip to vent some heat twice,needless to say I’m sold on the therm for anything below about 35*.
Next step will be to see if a quilt will be warm enough for me.next weekend the temps are forecasted to be about the same,will find out more then,thanks for all the info and replies Billy

Nice! After taking an Xlite to its limit, which is 25-30 for me, I'm going to grab an XTherm to use for anything colder.