R-value

Everyone is different. Just need to test to see what works for you. I got my pad as a gift a couple years ago. It's a klymit static v uninsulated. I would have preferred the insulated but it was a gift. A few weeks ago we were camping and it got to 28 at night. I wasnt cold enough that it stopped me from sleeping. I'm a hot sleeper though. What works for me may not work for you. I did pick up a couple insulted pads in sale yesterday so I'm curious to see how much of a difference there is.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can sleep on a cot (air underneath) on my t-rest luxurymap with R 6.0 down into the teens with no issues at all. Pushing that down to 0 I may throw a ccf pad underneath it, but I sleep cold. The thermarest X-Therm specs are pretty compelling.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Thermarest Xtherm on top of a 3/4-length Z Lite for puncture protection and additional warmth. I use a quilt, so I'm sleeping directly on the Xtherm. I stay plenty warm with this setup, and wearing extra layers have slept comfortably below zero F.

If you’re ever caught out there with too little pad you can cut fresh pine boughs and build a layer to put your pad in top of. Obviously be cognizant of sharps but it works.